Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,309 times

Advertisements

I currently live in San Francisco and will be graduating college soon. I've accepted an offer to work in Salt Lake City, a place I've visited before. Now I know SLC doesn't have the nightlife of San Francisco or NYC and that doesn't matter to me -- not a big fan of that lifestyle. I'm looking forward to its outdoor leisure as I need a break from a big city for awhile.

Ideally, I'm looking for neighborhoods to live in as a young, non-LDS, single and gay professional out of college.

If anyone has a similar background (single, non-LDS young professionals, or LGBT) of moving to SLC, can you please share your past experiences?

it's fine if they're negative too -- every city has their own payoffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet24 View Post
I currently live in San Francisco and will be graduating college soon. I've accepted an offer to work in Salt Lake City, a place I've visited before. Now I know SLC doesn't have the nightlife of San Francisco or NYC and that doesn't matter to me -- not a big fan of that lifestyle. I'm looking forward to its outdoor leisure as I need a break from a big city for awhile.

Ideally, I'm looking for neighborhoods to live in as a young, non-LDS, single and gay professional out of college.

If anyone has a similar background (single, non-LDS young professionals, or LGBT) of moving to SLC, can you please share your past experiences?

it's fine if they're negative too -- every city has their own payoffs
Well, I don't match any of your criteria, but I assume you've done your research and are already aware that there's a fairly significant number of people here who do match your demographic. While downtown, Sugar House or "the Avenues" would probably be good options in terms of neighborhoods, you might consider looking first in the area called "the Marmalade district," This is more or less the LGBT hub of Salt Lake City and is very close to town, fun and trendy. Lots of nice older homes, very walkable.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:39 PM

628 posts, read 820,098 times
I was wondering this too. Do top job employers embrace diversity, or do the hiring managers kind of stick to their own?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
A gay friend of mine was researching for a travel book he was planning to write and said SLC had a really high percentage of LGBT people. Maybe flying under the radar but it surprised him and he was from New Orleans. The Marmalade is gaborhood central and Sugar House is rising.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM

32 posts, read 41,482 times
SLC proper is very gay friendly and has a bunch of young single transplants. The downtown core is creating a small revival and drawing people to different events like the Twilight Concert Series, Downtown Farmer's Market, etc. The Pride Parade in June is the state's second largest parade after the Pioneer Day Parade. If you are able to take some time, come check it out and see if it feels like a good community. Sugarhouse, Avenues, Downtown, and Marmalade are areas to look into.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM

534 posts, read 1,534,534 times
The area around Sugar House has a lot of university students from nearby Westminster College... a liberal island, lol! I would think that area would be welcoming, and has diversity as far as a lot of out of state people who are accepting (not that there aren't in state people who are accepting).

Best wishes! My liberal Sacramento-area-California kid likes the outdoors there! But she is ready to come home once she graduates, four years is enough for her . It's a matter of finding your tribe. She found the Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Feldman's Deli, TEAramisu, Cactus & Tropicals, and Best Friends Animal Society. She be happy.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:50 PM

39 posts, read 57,751 times
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised actually. I moved from the SF bay area about 9 months ago. The nightlife is surprisingly present here, there are 3 nice clubs and nice bars downtown. In fact, since you are LGBT there's a club called Moose Lounge that has Gay Night most Fridays, so check that out.
SLC is much more diverse, mainstream, progressive than what you typically picture Utah as.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,831 times
You're good anywhere in Salt Lake City proper. I mean you'd be fine pretty much anywhere in Salt Lake, but only in SLC will you get any sort of urban-ness ...the rest is just suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: