Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,282,450 times

Advertisements

WE are planning a road trip to the Salt Lake City Area. We are plan on spending 5-7 days mostly to ski. This trip will be in either Dec, Jan, or Feb.

I'd appreciate recommendations and comments on the various ski resorts. I am looking to balance cost with high quality. We want to experience Utah Powder and a little Utah culture while we are there.

We can ski triple diamond runs, but these days we prefer intermediate or advanced runs. We are accustomed to California's Lake Tahoe Resorts and the heavier Sierra Snowpack. We have never skied Utah powder.

I'd appreciate any tips and advice on where to lodge (dog friendly places), where to eat (good grub mom & pop diners, beer pubs, wine bars), and other interesting places to vistit/see.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-09-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
You might want to ski 1 day at each of several resorts, given your level of proficiency. I suggest at the least checking into the Park City resorts (Deer Valley - no snowboards; Park City Mountain Resort, and The Canyons, which is my personal favorite). Alta should be on your list to check out as well.

Maybe check out VRBO.COM to find a place to stay for the week.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You might want to ski 1 day at each of several resorts, given your level of proficiency. I suggest at the least checking into the Park City resorts (Deer Valley - no snowboards; Park City Mountain Resort, and The Canyons, which is my personal favorite). Alta should be on your list to check out as well.

Maybe check out VRBO.COM to find a place to stay for the week.
Thanks for the tips!

We are skiers not boarders so Deer Valley will be on my list. What do you like about the Canyons? Is there one resort with awesome views of salt lake city or salt lake?

How far is Park City from Salt Lake City? What is Park City like? How about Salt Lake City - is their a cool part of town? (restaurants, pubs, bars, etc, fun place to walk around both day and night)

Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We are skiers not boarders so Deer Valley will be on my list.
Deer Valley is said to be the best resort in the U.S., but it is VERY pricey. If you specifically want to avoid snowboarders, you might consider a day at Alta, too. (And don't say ALL-tuh; it's pronounced more like the word "altitude.") The amenities can't compare to Deer Valley, but then as they say at Alta, "Alta is for skiers."

Quote:
Is there one resort with awesome views of salt lake city or salt lake?
All of the resorts are close to Salt Lake City but you can't actually see the city from any of them. There are a number of great places for a nighttime view on the north and east "benches," the residential areas of the city that are built part way up the mountainsides.

Quote:
How far is Park City from Salt Lake City? What is Park City like?
All of the resorts, including Park City, are within about a half hour of downtown Salt Lake. Park City is a resort town that has a lot going on all winter long. You indicated that you were undecided as to when you'd be coming. You don't want to even try to make the trip to Park City during the Sundance Film Festival in February. I don't know as much about Park City as two or three other posters here on the forum, so I'll defer to them.

Quote:
How about Salt Lake City - is their a cool part of town? (restaurants, pubs, bars, etc, fun place to walk around both day and night)
Just stick to the downtown area, basically. It's not huge. You'll know when you've hit the end of it. Tell us a little bit more about yourselves and we can probably give you some better suggestions about how to spend your time in Salt Lake.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM

SportyandMisty and Katzpur, thanks for the suggestions!

If Deer Valley is the best in the nation and is exclusive to skiers, I definitely have to try that place at least once.

Alta sounds good too.

I would like to hear about the Canyons.

I like beginner style rails, ramps, and jumps (terrain parks). Which resort(s) in Utah are best know for that?

Are most of the resorts West of Salt Lake City? Is everything East of Salt Lake City flat, like Denver?

I’ll save the Sundance Festival for a different trip.

Most likely we will bring our two wieners (Dachshunds), so we have to think about keeping them in a condo during the day when we can’t bring them to the resort or wherever.

We like wine bars more than beer (but love beer too), Although we have LDS family, We are not LDS, so would prefer to hang out where mostly non-LDS hang out if there is such a place.

It would be nice to know where some nice parks are in the City or surrounding area. Also, would like to know where there are good grocery stores like Whole Foods, Safeway, Trader Joes. What would be the best shopping streets or Malls?

Does Utah have there own regional cuisine? Ya know like Mexican, KC BBQ, California Cuisine, etc. What are you known for? Local brewers, local wines, etc?

Where is the main Catholic Cathedral in town?

Thanks, again.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
The resorts are actually east of Salt Lake and the Cathedral of the Madeleine is the main Catholic church in Salt Lake. It is located at 331 East South Temple Street. Do not miss an opportunity to go see it!

There are some things that Utah is known for, but I wouldn't say it has its own regional cuisine. Our grocery stores are Smiths, Fresh Market, Harmons, Maceys. You should know that Harmons and Macey's are not open on Sundays. We also have Target and Walmart Superstores.

A bit off topic...What kind of dachshunds do you have? I have three myself...longhair. 2 reds and a cream.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks, katyidid!

I finally did a little reading on Utah, so I believe we will stay in Park City, but we will visit SLC too, and we will try to see the Cathedral of the Madeline as well.

We have 2 Dachshunds, boy and girl, a Red, and a Black & Tan. We love them to death, tons of fun, they love to travel, they have been all over California; this will be their first time out of state.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
There's a WHole Foods on 400 South and 700 East and another one in Sugar House, off 1300 East, which is an exit from I-80. Maybe more in the valley that i don't know about. Lots of dog parks, one at 700 East and 1300 South.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There's a WHole Foods on 400 South and 700 East and another one in Sugar House, off 1300 East, which is an exit from I-80. Maybe more in the valley that i don't know about. Lots of dog parks, one at 700 East and 1300 South.
Now you are making this too easy! Thanks, I'll put those addresses in the GPS.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Are most of the resorts West of Salt Lake City? Is everything East of Salt Lake City flat, like Denver?
No, it's just the opposite. Salt Lake City is just west of the Wasatch Range of the Rocky Mountains. We're actually almost surrounded by mountains, but the highest ones (the ones where you'll find the ski resorts) are to the East of the city. You will be surprised at how much closer the mountains by Salt Lake City are to the city itself than the mountains by Denver are to it. West of Salt Lake City are the Oquirrh Mountains and west of the Oquirrhs is the Great Basin. Flat. Salty. Boring.

Quote:
We like wine bars more than beer (but love beer too), Although we have LDS family, We are not LDS, so would prefer to hang out where mostly non-LDS hang out if there is such a place.
LOL! Well you're not going to have to worry about LDS hanging out in any of the bars around Salt Lake. But seriously, we're not too awfully unpleasant to hang out with.

Quote:
What would be the best shopping streets or Malls?
You are definitely going to want to go to the Gateway. It's just west of the center of downtown Salt Lake City. Any other mall is just... you know... a mall. When you're there, try Z-Tejas for lunch or dinner. When you're right downtown, you'll likely notice a whole lot of building going on. Right now Salt Lake City is in the middle of a gargantuan urban renovation project to be completed in mid-2012. So the next time you come here, we'll probably have another fantastic mall for you to visit.

Quote:
Does Utah have there own regional cuisine? Ya know like Mexican, KC BBQ, California Cuisine, etc. What are you known for? Local brewers, local wines, etc?
Try the Red Iguana for supurb Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area