Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

While we pray for those people in Japan, please review your home, and emergency prep for an earthquake. As you know, with the Wasatch fault, it is a question of when...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,600 times
Good advice! Make sure your 72 hour kits are up to date, along with plenty of water.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I was told by many of my coworkers that if SLC is hit by a major earthquake 6.5+ then we're (insert explative). I guess basically the entire valley is a dried up lake bed (bonneville) and that a major earthquake would liquify almost all of west valley. They said the homes on the benches would slide down the hill and crush everything in it's path downward. Also the fault line is right on 13th east so most of the homes there would be totalled and the damage would spread westward from there.

Not sure much emergency prep is required as it would be complete devastation!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Even in that CA quake where the apt buiildings pancaked, people lived in small pockets. Here, a geologist told me if you are on the benches, you will feel a good thump but nothing else, no waves on the bedrock. Houses might collapse as most are older, but again, not a complete 1/2 inch pancake. So yes, preparations may indeed save your life. Even in WVC.

Besides the food/water prep, you should also have your water heater attached to the wall by the earthquake bracing. A water heater can be a good source of water if you are trapped - even if not trapped but no water supply from the city.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
We are on a 'kinda bench', as I call it out here. lol This Japan earthquake/tsunami made even my hubby think of an emergency 'kit'. We got a honda generator (sp?) 1st aid kid, & lots of water. Working on dry meals. Never thought we would, but, as we get older, we get more 'prepared'. =) Hope we never need to use anything, but, feel a little better knowing we are okay if we do need it.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 AM

77 posts, read 282,911 times
This map from the Utah Geological Survey illustrating how badly areas in the Salt Lake Valley will shake in the event of an earthquake is really interesting: http://geology.utah.gov/online/pdf/pi-76.pdf It's the eastern side of the valley that will fare the worst, particularly Sandy/Cottonwood Heights/Draper.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghungroo View Post
This map from the Utah Geological Survey illustrating how badly areas in the Salt Lake Valley will shake in the event of an earthquake is really interesting: http://geology.utah.gov/online/pdf/pi-76.pdf It's the eastern side of the valley that will fare the worst, particularly Sandy/Cottonwood Heights/Draper.
Thanks! Interesting map!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM

But not the only map. That one is for peak acceleration. The note on it states that the valley will be subjected to low frequency waves which can be very destructive. Look at all the maps to get a complete idea, especially the liquefaciton one (very large, 117+ MB). All of the area except the eastern benches will be subject to severe liquefaction, except for some small areas subject to moderate liquefaction.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-20-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Just wondering ...

How many of you, who *think* they are prepared,
do know what to do with the emergency supplies you have ????
Especially the dried food ?

Make an inventory of the dried food you have.
Find out how much water is needed to make a meal.
You have that much water *at least* ???
For all the dried food you have ?

Any water left to drink or wash with ?

OK, you have a generator ! Kudos to you.
Does it have gas in it ?
When was the last time you checked if it would start ?
Do you have an electric thingy you can use to cook your food,
*available*, and NOT somewhere in your house,
where you can not get to it ?

Paranoia exercise !!
Go thru a dry run, and see what you come up with.

I know this is not about the LDS church,
but everybody knows how the church feels about Emergencies.
OK, great, so people store wheat ....
Do they have a grinder ????
How does the grinder work if no electricity ?

@ SoBelle:
Where can you download the map you mention ??

Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM

the same web site mentioned above, just back out to the pdf part. They have more maps than I care to look at. I know my side will get an almighty bump but no liquefactions, which to me is more dangerous. But then, I've never been in an earthquake - just seen the damage on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area