Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times

Advertisements

I didn't know if I should post this in the "dogs" section or if I should post it here. I decided to post it here seeing as how not everyone in the "dogs" section lives in the SLC area.

Anyway, my husband and I recently lost our beloved American Pit Bull Terrier, Brooklyn (http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...artbroken.html). He was the best dog we could have ever even dreamed of owning, and he made us absolutely fall in love with the breed. After what happened (with Brooklyn), my husband and I decided that we are just going to stay in Utah for a while. We have family here, there's more work, etc. So, now that we have decided that we will be here for at least the next few years, we have also decided it would be a good time to start looking for breeders in this area for when we are ready for our next American Pit Bull Terrier. We actually live in Draper, but it wouldn't be a problem for us to drive a hour or so to a breeder (maybe even more than that, but hopefully not ). We aren't looking to buy a puppy right away, but we are big into researching everything to death, so we wanted to start researching asap!

We are looking for good, reputable APBT breeders. We are not into the grossly over-sized, so-called "pit bulls", and certainly aren't looking for a "pit bull" that will have a guard-dog type temperament. We are looking for a well bred APBT. One that fits the UKC breed standard (United Kennel Club: American Pit Bull Terrier (Revised November 1, 2008) (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrierRevisedNovember12008 - broken link)). Especially when it comes to temperament! This will be a family dog and needs to be a stable, human-friendly dog, as a well bred APBT is supposed to be.

We are also checking out local shelters, we will soon be volunteering at the Utah Humane Society in Murray. However, we are going to check into breeders as well, because we aren't sure yet if we want to adopt or buy from a breeder. We are huge animal lovers, so adopting is something we would really like to do. We love to do anything we can to help animals, especially the "pit bull" breeds and other breeds with such bad reputations. And that is part of the reason we are leaning more toward a good breeder. Just like we did with Brooklyn, we want to help show people how great these dogs can be through our dog. And to do that, we need a well bred APBT. One that has the temperament and looks that an APBT is supposed to have.

I understand that a lot of people do not like "pit bulls", as well as other so-called "dangerous" breeds, and I am not looking to start a discussion, or argument, on that. I just haven't had any luck looking on line for good APBT breeders and I figured people that are from this area, or that have at least been here longer than us, might know something that could be helpful. Everything I have found on line, from google, has been the way over-size "pit bulls", and as I said before, that is not what we are looking for. And when I tried to find breeders through the UKC website, it said that something wasn't working right, so that didn't work. So, if you know of any APBT breeders around the SLC area, a website would be wonderful! Or, if you know of anything else that might be helpful to us in finding a good breeder, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You could try talking to the APBT rescue group folks, to see if they know breeders. (google for them, can't remember the name) And you could foster for them while you are waiting for "your" dog. Never know, you might foster one who becomes permanently yours!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
I just wanted to say "hi", I followed your story on the dog page

I hope Draper treats you well!

We recently adopted a dog from a local rescue group, except for one, all of ours have been from the pound or a rescue. So wanted to cast my vote there! I love that you're intending to volunteer...I did that for a few years, but Davis Co. doesn't allow more than 2 dogs so no fostering here.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Check your PM, PitbullMommie1206!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I just wanted to say "hi", I followed your story on the dog page

I hope Draper treats you well!

We recently adopted a dog from a local rescue group, except for one, all of ours have been from the pound or a rescue. So wanted to cast my vote there! I love that you're intending to volunteer...I did that for a few years, but Davis Co. doesn't allow more than 2 dogs so no fostering here.
I guess we should look into some rescue groups as well. That's kind of like in the middle. If we adopt from an APBT or AmStaff rescue group, we could still end up with a well bred dog, but we'd be rescuing at the same time. I think I'll google some APBT and AmStaff rescues in Utah now and see what I can find.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
When we first moved to Utah, I actually worked at the Humane Society in Murray. I still like to donate food and stuff to them. I will go in and pet the animals, but always feel bad about leaving them. I want to bring them [b]ALL[b] home. DH doesn't like to go with me much anymore. He feels the same way.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The OP moved back to FL quite some time ago, so no need to answer her. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area