Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 PM

140 posts, read 333,916 times

Advertisements

We are heading to Bear Lake and would like to know if anyone can give opinion on the shores there and where they go to recreate. We are not going to have any boats, etc. Just want to relax along the shore, swim and float.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,900 times
I love the light blue water of Bear Lake, though it is cold. You'll definitely want to be on the west side of the lake if you're just relaxing (the west side is barren and ugly). Garden City is where they have the raspberry shakes that everyone talks about. I don't know what the beach is like there, but if you don't like it, go to the north end. On the northeast corner of the lake there is a very large, sandy beach. Probably much less crowded up there too.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM

@ Lamborgotti, We went to Bear Lake last weekend. Loved the cold water and yes, the blue color is pretty. We had a rasberry shake while we were there. Thank you for the advice of going to the North end of the Lake. When we got there, we went to Rondevous Beach on the South end to check it out and didn't like it. It was muddy and sticks sticking out everywhere so we took your advice and went to the North end past the pump station. It was much better, having real sand in the water and not rocks. It was not crowded at all. We were able to wade in the water and float around in open space, it was very enjoyable The drive through the canyon to get there was beautiful too.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
We were just at Bear Lake last weekend too; it was lots of fun! It's A LOT more fun with a boat and private cabin though...

The North Beach is the best place to go swimming without a boat... the other beaches were mostly swampy mud-pits by the looks of it. There is a fairly nice KOA campground by Garden City too.

There are boat/jetski rentals at a place just north of the Marina but they aren't cheap.

The lake isn't the only attraction either...There is also a cave fairly close in Idaho that is fun to tour, and the mountains to the east are gorgeous this time of year.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We were just at Bear Lake last weekend too; it was lots of fun! It's A LOT more fun with a boat and private cabin though...

The North Beach is the best place to go swimming without a boat... the other beaches were mostly swampy mud-pits by the looks of it. There is a fairly nice KOA campground by Garden City too.

There are boat/jetski rentals at a place just north of the Marina but they aren't cheap.

The lake isn't the only attraction either...There is also a cave fairly close in Idaho that is fun to tour, and the mountains to the east are gorgeous this time of year.
Yes, I agree about the boat and the cabin too We checked out the KOA cabins. The pricing isn't too bad.

The Minnetonka Cave was interesting to us as well and we hope to check those out next time. You can get more info at www.ScenicCanyons.com

Did you check out the Springs while you were there? It was just a couple of pools and in the back of a general store. That was weird

Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
We also went to Bear Lake and the north shore and the Cave a few weeks ago. It was great and very refreshing water on a super hot day.

We weren't too impressed with the shakes, food or the cost. But I'll take the pros over the cons.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
We also went to Bear Lake and the north shore and the Cave a few weeks ago. It was great and very refreshing water on a super hot day.

We weren't too impressed with the shakes, food or the cost. But I'll take the pros over the cons.
I agree with you on the shakes, but to each their own taste buds

How were the caves? Are they worth the $

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
I think the cave cost $8 a person. It was good money and we all had a good time. The only thing is if you don't time it right, you could have to wait, in the parking lot, for over an hour.

Still it was fun and we would do something like that again.

PS my food complaint was that the prices were high, we waited a long time and none of the food was better than average, poor even. I guess every vacation spot is like that in a way, but so many ppl claimed the shakes and food were awesome that we set ourselves up for a fall I guess.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I think the cave cost $8 a person. It was good money and we all had a good time. The only thing is if you don't time it right, you could have to wait, in the parking lot, for over an hour.

Still it was fun and we would do something like that again.

PS my food complaint was that the prices were high, we waited a long time and none of the food was better than average, poor even. I guess every vacation spot is like that in a way, but so many ppl claimed the shakes and food were awesome that we set ourselves up for a fall I guess.
OK, thanks for the opinion on the caves, we will have to check it out.

Our expectation on the shakes were high as well. Every person we talked to, especially the info desk at the overlook, were hypeing them up and they were just OK. We didn't eat a meal at any of the restaurants so we don't know about the pricing or quality. We' ll check it out next trip...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia Ann View Post
OK, thanks for the opinion on the caves, we will have to check it out.

Our expectation on the shakes were high as well. Every person we talked to, especially the info desk at the overlook, were hypeing them up and they were just OK. We didn't eat a meal at any of the restaurants so we don't know about the pricing or quality. We' ll check it out next trip...

I believed the hype and thought that they were pretty good. And it helps that most of the places are good mom & pops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area