Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times

Advertisements

My husband and daughter both have asthma and they have more trouble in the summer with their allergies then they do with the inversion in the winter. *I* have trouble with the inversion, but not a breathing issue. The dreariness just gets on my nerves and can get depressing day after day. Then again, winter in general is not my cup of tea, so I know that plays a part in it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 34,421 times
Kaytidid, dcisive thank you very much for you ur thoughts...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
We planned on moving back to SLC for years and decided on Reno/Tahoe instead because of the air pollution/poor air quality. They have the same endless outdoor activities, easy access to mountains, no state tax and it only snows in the valley a few times each winter (as opposed to SLC.) We will arrive the first week of August and we're very excited.

It was a very difficult choice for us, but we believe our decision was the absolute right thing to do.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 AM

479 posts, read 1,015,497 times
Wow! Gorgeous photo's SLC Punk!!! I am very happy to be out of the Salt Lake City air!! Breathing much easier in Boulder!!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM

479 posts, read 1,015,497 times
Utah Fights High Pollution Deaths < Moms Clean Air Force

Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
The inversion talk has prompted me to do a little research. Interesting enough, I didn't know this before, but Utah leads the nation in life expectancy. Seems the inversion probably does hurt some while having little to no effect on others. I think if it were a huge problem,the numbers would show it. However, the numbers support that the inversion does not effect most of the SLC populace.

Utah life expectancy leads the nation, but falls behind some struggling countries | Deseret News

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
Beautiful pictures of a lovely area of CA SLC P!
I have not been to Tahoe since I moved to Utah 20 years ago but have several friends that live in Truckee. Be ready to have a huge snowblower on hand for those 5-6' dumps!
One of my favorite co workers runs a marina at Tahoe in the summers but would not trade our fab Utah snow for Sierra Cement so if skiing is your thing, keep that in mind....

Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM

That is data for the entire state, not SLC. Likewise, I'd imagine the healthy lifestyle advocated by the LDS church plays a significant role in longevity (for the State as a whole) when compared to the rest of Americans. The article addresses this by pointing out that people who live in Utah tend not to smoke and a live a much more active lifestyle. Because of this, heart disease is significantly lower in Utah.

When you look more closely at specific areas of the state:

Quote:
Experts believe many factors contribute to the local disparities, including vast differences in income and education levels, access or lack thereof to health insurance and quality medical care, as well as efforts taken for prevention.

"For a woman living in Tooele, she'd be better off living in Uruguay or Albania," Mokdad said. Men living in Carbon County, he said, are living in similar conditions to that of the Middle East's Qatar. "And that's scary."
The damaging effects of the short term air pollution are well known. Looking at the numbers for the entire state doesn't do much good in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Beautiful pictures of a lovely area of CA SLC P!
I have not been to Tahoe since I moved to Utah 20 years ago but have several friends that live in Truckee. Be ready to have a huge snowblower on hand for those 5-6' dumps!
One of my favorite co workers runs a marina at Tahoe in the summers but would not trade our fab Utah snow for Sierra Cement so if skiing is your thing, keep that in mind....
I don't think it's going to snow that much in Reno, perhaps I've been misled.

Skiing is my thing, you go that right. C'mon now, cement? I've never heard this before. Northeast skiing = cement, but Tahoe?

I will be buying a sailboat though too, ya better believe it.

And if I miss Alta, I'm sure I could sneak over for a bit, as long as they'll have me.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
Wow! Gorgeous photo's SLC Punk!!! I am very happy to be out of the Salt Lake City air!! Breathing much easier in Boulder!!
The first is Tahoe (obviously) and the other is a horse riding ranch down by Carson City. We are pretty stoked to head out. Our tentative date to leave is on the 2cd of August.

My wife's friend at work said "It's 104 out there right now," and I said "Yes it's 104 with zero chance of a hurricane."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area