Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving to SLC from Boston in mid-August, and am having a hard time finding apartment options, so I thought I'd ask for advice!

I am most interested either in the Avenues, Sugarhouse, or perhaps near downtown. I've looked on craigslist and apartments.com, but was wondering if anyone knew of other sites / realtors to talk to to find out about 1-bedroom apartment options in those areas. I'm very flexible on price, since SLC is so much cheaper (woo hoo!) than Boston.

In any event, all advice is welcome! Thanks!

Oh - and one final question. One apt building I was considering was the Brigham. Was curious whether this was in a relatively safe neighborhood?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,600 times
I had friends that lived in the Brigham and really liked it. They never heard their neighbors, and it's within walking distance of the SLC bars (if you're into that). I think the area is safe, but I don't live there, so maybe someone else could confirm the safety?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
If you want apartment complexes check out forrent.com, rent.com, or apartment guide. Most of the listings on Craig's list are privately owned houses or duplexes, but overall, I have found this to be the best source for listings. There are not that many complexes in Sugarhouse/Aves., although there are a few downtown. There is one in Sugarhouse called Irving Schoolhouse, which looks like it might be nice, but is a bit pricey. I also found this website called apartmentratings.com, but I found that virtually every apartment complex is ripped to shreds, so I guess you need to take it with a grain of salt!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM

242 posts, read 854,225 times
I wouldn't recommend Irving Schoolhouse. It is right on 21st S and it can get so congested with traffic with people trying to get up to 13th E.

I'd keep looking at Craigslist. I am looking for another place to live in Sugarhouse and I found many options, I'm just waiting to see if I get a raise at work to see what my budget will be.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Default apts

For some reason, Irving Schoolhouse (site of old school) has a bad rep around my neighbors. As far as 2100 South, I live on 2000 South and while it can get busy, the problem with the apt. is no light turn left on. You can always ooze into traffice if you're going west, a right-hand turn. Sugar House has many small, older apt. bldgs. but you would have to drive around and look for them. Years ago, before zoning got tight, folks would tear down a few houses and put one up. Some never advertise except for signs out front.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post

I'd keep looking at Craigslist. I am looking for another place to live in Sugarhouse and I found many options, I'm just waiting to see if I get a raise at work to see what my budget will be.
It's tough to find something! There are lots of duplexes, but the good ones get snatched up immediately, and they are in such demand in Sugarhouse that you compete with of a pile of other applicants. I have a couple of prospects though. I may go with one in E. Millcreek, just a short distance from Rt. 80. There are some nice neighborhoods in that area, and you can still ride your bike to Sugarhouse.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times
Default realtor

My son just bought a house in Sugarhouse area. He worked with a great realtor - Cherie Major with Lewis Wolcott and Dornbush. She was extremely attentive and hard working. He and his partner spent 48 hrs. in SLC looking, and due to Cherie's dilligence, bought a house on their second day there. They'd done plenty of research ahead of time, saw approx. 15 houses, narrowed it to 2 which they revisited and then made an offer on their favorite. All of the real work was done by Cherie as they live in Vermont. They closed today and all is well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area