Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 74,104 times

Advertisements

I live in Midvale in a great house but I'd like to move before my kids start kindergarten since the local school is mediocre.

Despite being a native Utahn, I'm struggling to decide where to live. My husband does not want to be south of 90th, and preferably further north. We've been looking in Sandy and Cottonwood Heights, but much of what we're finding is either run-down, or a neighborhood without young kids, or just very homogenous.

So we are turning our attention closer to SLC. We know our options will be a little limited with a budget of $400k, but we are looking for a neighborhood that is well-kept, liberal-ish, and has good schools. I think the Mormon thing is a bit overblown on these forums, but I grew up here and it would have would've been nice at times to have some other non-lds kids like me. So some religious diversity would be nice.

My husband and I are in our 30s, with a 4 and 3 yr old. I would love some advice from people who actually LIVE IN SLC on which specific neighborhoods they like, and what is it like to live there...

Help!!! I'm terrified of my kids ending up at a rotten school or neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
An area you just might want to look into, that has always been a very good buy and nice in regards to the neighborhood feel and action as well as the quality of the schools from what I've always heard. The area between 2700 South and 3300 South East of 1300 East to about 2300 East has always been a bit of an enclave of it's own. Very low crime, good participation in neighbohood watch, and well kept up properties, in spite of some of them even being rentals. Plenty of kids to go around with a highly rated "Highland Park Elementary". Near great shopping and Sugarhouse but with it's own feel to it. I was always impressed whenever I drove through when living in the E. Millcreek area. Check it out and you just might be surprised. Very affordable homes by comparison to other areas as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:46 PM

762 posts, read 2,119,341 times
$400k is actually a pretty decent budget for SLC!
Depending on what you're looking for in a house (yard size, garage size, etc.), I don't think you'll have much problem finding something that fits the requirements you've listed so far.

East Sugar House has some beautiful, family friendly areas with good schools (Dilworth, Emerson, Highland Park), and many options between $300-400k. Yalecrest is a little tougher in the sub-$400 range, but it can be done, and it's of course a wonderfully well-kept area. A close friend just bought a house near 15th and 15th (4BR, 2BT) for $315k, and she loves the elementary school (Uintah), despite the recent school lunch debacle. (Bonneville and Beacon Heights are reportedly good and in the area, too.) There are also great homes in the Avenues (Ensign/Wasatch Elementaries) in your price range, though you'll sacrifice yard and garage size there.

I don't have kids so can't offer much in that regard, but I live in Central City and LOVE it; the diversity is astounding, especially for Utah. There are several homes with children on my block, but the neighborhood is by no means overrun by kids. I love walking to Liberty Park and shopping areas, and always see lots of moms with strollers. There are people from Europe, Asia, and Africa in the area, and people of all faiths. But I'd probably steer you a little further east, into East Central (9th and 9th area) instead of Central City, since you can afford it and CC is sometimes still not gentrified enough for some. The homes in East Central tend to be a little larger and nicer, with larger yards, too.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 PM

That's really helpful. I do think the 15th and 15th area is pretty, and I love the king's english there, but it's good to hear it's safe for kids.

Re: Highland Park, someone else told my husband to look into that as well. It's great to have some specific neighborhood ideas.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM

26 posts, read 59,367 times
We just moved into the area dcisive mentioned in Holladay, and we absolutely love it! It's very family friendly, great schools, and low crime. We see a lot of our neighbors walking, jogging or riding their bikes around the neighborhood. There are a lot of young families in this area!!!

We spent 6 months house hunting. We looked at Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, Olympus Cover (not a lot of kids), Sugar House, and Harvard Yale. We had a budget of $500k and we couldn't find anything that was updated and in a good neighborhood. We either found a great house, but in a so-so neighborhood, or we found a great neighborhood but the house needed a lot of work, or found a beautiful home worth 4 times more than all the other homes on the street/neighborhood. And when we did find something suitable for us (4 bed, 2500sq ft, 2 car garage, updated), we found ourselves in a bidding war, 4 times. So, we increased our budget, but yet found ourselves in the same situation. We bid on a house in Olympus Cove and offerred $30K more than asking, yet we lost the bid. So, I don't think everyone realizes how strong the local market is here in Utah unless you're out looking at houses on a weekly basis. Before we moved here, we were under the impression that $500k will find your a great home. Quite to our suprise, that is not true. Sure we saw a LOT of homes that a HUGE, and beautiful on the outside for that price range, but the inside was very outdated (kitchen, bathrooms, carpet, org windows, etc).

Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 PM

We are finding the same thing re: bidding wars.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM

26 posts, read 59,367 times
tuffpirate, I'm sorry to hear that. It's frustrating, I know, but you will find the right house. Just be sure you're the first and last person to see any new listings, which I'm sure you already know. We switched realtors half way through this process because our realtor was not showing us or letting us know of new listings the day it hits the MLS. There was always a 3-4 day delay, which caused us to loose out. I wish you all the best in your house hunt!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM

81 posts, read 131,351 times
wow....I ddin't realize about the bidding wars.....we are going to be looking in the area pretty soon..can anyone recommend GOOD realtors?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM

762 posts, read 2,119,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoUtah99 View Post
wow....I ddin't realize about the bidding wars.....we are going to be looking in the area pretty soon..can anyone recommend GOOD realtors?
It often depends on the area in which you're looking; many of the best Realtors specialize in specific neighborhoods or communities. If you can tell us which areas you're most interested in, someone may be able to DM you a recommendation. For example, I know great Realtors who focus on the Avenues, Federal Heights, Marmalade, Sugar House, Cottonwood Heights, and Central City/Downtown.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffpirate View Post
We are finding the same thing re: bidding wars.
what happened to the post about Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: