Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,431 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My husband and I are empty nesters relocating to Hill AFB for employment. Since we have no children at home, schools do not rank high on wish list any longer. We are looking for an area to live that is within a 30 minute commute to Hill. We are looking for easy access to entertainment, shopping, restaurants, movies, etc... walking distance to coffee shops would be great also. Safety is a main concern of mine, since we were just broken into two weeks ago, even with a security system. Inversion concerns??? Looking for place to retire, can spend up to $400K, although, would prefer to stay lower. Great views would be nice too, areas you could recommend, and why? South Ogden, Layton, Holladay??? Any help much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:10 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Were it me I'd live in Layton. It's pretty safe and well developed. You likely won't find the "walking distance to coffee shops" that you're looking for there, but you'd pretty much eliminate any commute and if you don't mind the jets blasting you awake on occasion it's a really nice city.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 AM

163 posts, read 318,466 times
I'd go for South Ogden or the communities south of the Base and closer to Hwy 89 such as Fruit Heights, Kaysville, Farmington and the east side of Layton. (In Layton, I'd avoid being directly east of the base, and I'd also look for a map - I've seen them online - that show where the noise corridors are.) You would be car-dependent in most neighborhoods, but there are a few scattered coffee places and easy access to shopping, restaurants, and movies. You will find very nice homes in your price range, safe and attractive neighborhoods, and the potential for great views of the lake to the west and the mountains to the east.

I wouldn't commute from Holladay or elsewhere in the Salt Lake metro area - housing costs are quite a bit higher, the air quality is worse, and why spend 90 minutes or more on the road each day if you don't have to?

Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 PM

53 posts, read 55,005 times
There are a lot of little communities you can look into. Roy, Clearfield, Layton, Sunset... They are all around the base and offer similar communities. You're best best is just looking for a house that you like instead of a neighborhood. Just type your requirements into a real estate website and use the map to look at areas around the base. It would be easier I think. And it's what I did when I lived there myself. With that price range, you should have a lot to code from. I wouldn't go south of Kaysville or up too far into Ogden or the commute will be too long.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:35 PM

85 posts, read 155,426 times
I lived down the hill from the base in Layton years ago, and while it's built up it's not what I'd consider walkable: you're going to need a car. Lots of good-sized houses out towards the benches along 89, and I definitely wouldn't live south of Farmington if you're going to Hill regularly -- why spend more time in traffic than absolutely necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area