Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 57,709 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to move in 1-2 months for a new job from San Jose (south SF Bay area, northern California) to SLC area.

Some specifics:

-27 years old, married, no kids.
-LDS, surprise!
-Household income around $120K
-Work in consulting and will be driving all throughout Layton-to-Provo.

Therefore, I'm looking at places like Draper/Sandy/South Jordan/Riverton/Herriman down to Bluffdale and Lehi. Definitely no further south than Lehi, but no further north than about Midvale or Murray.

What areas would be best regarding good cost of living and some nice $200K or so starter homes/condos ready to be bought, nice shopping areas, close proximity to I-15, and low crime (is there even crime in Utah? lol). Schools are irrelevant as we don't have kids yet.

Thanks for the insight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:18 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLoveThis View Post
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to move in 1-2 months for a new job from San Jose (south SF Bay area, northern California) to SLC area.

Some specifics:

-27 years old, married, no kids.
-LDS, surprise!
-Household income around $120K
-Work in consulting and will be driving all throughout Layton-to-Provo.

Therefore, I'm looking at places like Draper/Sandy/South Jordan/Riverton/Herriman down to Bluffdale and Lehi. Definitely no further south than Lehi, but no further north than about Midvale or Murray.

What areas would be best regarding good cost of living and some nice $200K or so starter homes/condos ready to be bought, nice shopping areas, close proximity to I-15, and low crime (is there even crime in Utah? lol). Schools are irrelevant as we don't have kids yet.

Thanks for the insight!!
Cottonwood Heights if you can possibly find a home in your price range. (It may be hard, but probably not impossible.)

Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
I would 2nd that Cottonwood Hts. area as ideal for your needs. I moved from the Bay Area back in 93 and lived in the E. Millcreek/Holladay area which is also quite nice for that demographic.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Cottonwood heights is beautiful and fits most of your criteria, but it is not close to I-15, (10-15 minutes west on 215 will bridge you there), and I don't consider there to be much shopping in that area.
I think a better fit for you is Draper

Old 03-19-2015, 02:42 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times
I'd say look in Draper and Lehi around the thanksgiving point area. Both of those areas are nice, clean, friendly and close to I-15 with a lot amount of shopping within 15-20 minutes. You should be able to find something in both those areas for $200K - even if it's just a townhouse or condo.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Houses in my Sandy neighborhood are going like hotcakes.

We are in the Sandy/Draper border area - with excellent access to the freeway.

Home prices are $250-325K.

Neighbors (they are moving to find a larger home) sold their home in a day. Another neighbor is getting alot of looks for her house - probably priced around $270K.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

Neighbors (they are moving to find a larger home) sold their home in a day. Another neighbor is getting alot of looks for her house - probably priced around $270K.
Actually, they're asking $295k but won't get it.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues_Jade24 View Post
Cottonwood heights is beautiful and fits most of your criteria, but it is not close to I-15, (10-15 minutes west on 215 will bridge you there), and I don't consider there to be much shopping in that area.
I think a better fit for you is Draper
Depends on what kind of shopping you are planning on doing ...

My daughter lives there and I think there is plenty of shopping there.
I looked it up and even CD has a large report about Cottonwood Heights.
Btw, thievery is the biggest problem in that area ...
Cottonwoods Heights is also way bigger than I thought it was !!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving from SF Bay area to SLC area, help on neighborhoods?-ctnwdshppng.jpg  

Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 13,019 times
I love Cottonwood Heights, my wife and I lived there for 6 years when we first got married. However, as a younger couple without any children you will not meet many couple in your age group in Cottonwood Heights.

I am 29 yrs with no kids as well and in Utah that is generally considered rare. Most couples have 2-3 kids by this point. That being said I would look at the North Eastern part of Lehi, Daybreak(West South Jordan), or Herriman/Riverton. These are all newly developed areas, tons of younger couples, super safe, and very upscale with all the local ammenities.

I live in Lehi but the majority of our friends who are in similar situations live out in the Daybreak/Herriman/Riverton area. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area