Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,043 times

Advertisements

For someplace that always seems to be viewed as a conservative place full of Mormons I'm surprised the Geek/Nerd culture is so robust.

Comic Con 120,000+, FanXperience 100,000+, Fantasy Con 30,000+, Gaming Con 20,000+, Furries, My Little Pony, Steam Punk, FilmQuest, and so on.

Not to mention Sundance nearby.

How did this happen? What makes SLC such a great place for geeks of all stripes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,672,537 times
Imagine growing up in a culture where college parties consist of getting together with your church group to watch Monty Python and play Just Dance on the Wii. A culture where courting consists of you and a group of your 20-something friends go out to a public place and have a scavenger hunt or get together at a same-gender apartment to play Settlers of Catan until 2AM while you drink Mountain Dew. Imagine that you're 26 and you've never been to a bar, smoked weed or had sex (except that one time that you really really regret and try not to think about anymore).

What you're imagining is an accurate representation of young adult-hood for about 60% of Utahans.

Utah culture tends to oppress 18-30 year old singles into still acting like they're 14-17. So things like comic books, sci-fi, cosplay and general nerd culture, which are all totally acceptable, are very popular among that group. It's not wrong, I love Star Trek, board games and cosplay - but that's why. It's one of the few acceptable outlets for a large majority of the single population in Utah.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,814,740 times
It's no coincidence. The Wasatch Front is very technology-oriented. In fact, it's got one of the highest ownership rates of computers in the USA.

And, the dominant culture (read: LDS) promotes knowledge through the Sciences. It's ironic but practical. For, good business and financial success is revered - as it is measured on a Protestant scale.

(D&C) 93:36, “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.”

Bill

Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
It's no coincidence. The Wasatch Front is very technology-oriented. In fact, it's got one of the highest ownership rates of computers in the USA.

And, the dominant culture (read: LDS) promotes knowledge through the Sciences. It's ironic but practical. For, good business and financial success is revered - as it is measured on a Protestant scale.

(D&C) 93:36, “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.”

Bill
I never really gave it all that much thought, but your explanation does make a lot of sense.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,837,946 times
Why is Utah geek culture so robust? Because Utah not-geek culture sucks!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,814,740 times
The LDS approach is linked to Calvinism - wherein there's no shame in reaching out to Science and profit. For, it's believed successes and advances serve mankind. One could easily credit the Protestant revolution - but Jews already integrated these concepts much earlier.

Bill

Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Imagine growing up in a culture where college parties consist of getting together with your church group to watch Monty Python and play Just Dance on the Wii. A culture where courting consists of you and a group of your 20-something friends go out to a public place and have a scavenger hunt or get together at a same-gender apartment to play Settlers of Catan until 2AM while you drink Mountain Dew. Imagine that you're 26 and you've never been to a bar, smoked weed or had sex (except that one time that you really really regret and try not to think about anymore).

What you're imagining is an accurate representation of young adult-hood for about 60% of Utahans.

Utah culture tends to oppress 18-30 year old singles into still acting like they're 14-17. So things like comic books, sci-fi, cosplay and general nerd culture, which are all totally acceptable, are very popular among that group. It's not wrong, I love Star Trek, board games and cosplay - but that's why. It's one of the few acceptable outlets for a large majority of the single population in Utah.
Well, I guess say what you want about Mormons, but unlike other religions it sounds like they aren't actively trying to suppress geek-like stuff.

Only place that completely accepted this stuff where I've lived was the PacNW. Even Ohio with a few large conventions it was more of a fringe activity that's not really accepted by many people at all. In NC the only thing that seems to be tolerated is video game players.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,672,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
The LDS approach is linked to Calvinism - wherein there's no shame in reaching out to Science and profit. For, it's believed successes and advances serve mankind. One could easily credit the Protestant revolution - but Jews already integrated these concepts much earlier.

Bill
Unless the science says Native Americans came from Asia about 15,000 years ago, there were no horses, wheels or elephants in Pre-Columbian/Post-Pleistocene America, no flood ever covered the globe or that there was no death on Earth before the first human fell. I will say that Mormonism does embrace technology better than many orthodox Christian religions, but I wouldn't say they really embrace science, unless the science confirms what they already believe. Culturally speaking many do embrace it. I highly doubt Mormon posters here believe in the flood, Nephite Chariots or the lack of dinosaurs - but doctrinally speaking that's Mormonism.

The embrace of technology definitely plays into the nerd culture, but I still think we can't overstate the tendency of Mormon young adults to be behaviorally kept as teenagers, until they have a family, as part of it. My Mormon friends in Utah were all nerds and all loved board games and conventions. If I tried to get my non-Mormon friends to come over for a night of Dominion or Settlers, they kind of cringed and countered with going out for pub trivia (which is still pretty geeky in its own right). The time we all went out for a space ship simulator - literally every person there was a practicing Mormon, except me. Which is cool and I realize is only anecdotal data, but that's my experience.

I know I'm often critical of Mormonism, but this is not a critique. I am a massive nerd. Seriously I've read like 200 Star Trek novels and my son is named after my favorite scientist (Well, second favorite - my wife wouldn't agree to Galileo, and in retrospect this is probably a good thing). I miss the nerd culture, in Utah. I wish more people everywhere loved both pub trivia and space ship simulators

Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I miss the nerd culture, in Utah.
Are you speaking personally or has the nerd culture lessened in recent times?

I guess what I find interesting is Mormonism allowing a lot of things in the geeky realm that many other religions find outright blasphemous.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Are you speaking personally or has the nerd culture lessened in recent times?

He moved out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: