Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Ahoy

I'm 23 and I've been working in Nashville for a little over a year after graduating from Mississippi State in 2007.

A Co-worker and I are being promoted to SLC and are making the final move beginning of August. We're good friends and similar in age so its definitely a plus, but we know no one in Utah. We'll be travelling to SLC in Mid July for a week or two in an attempt to find an apt for the final move Aug 1 or so.

I've been looking through the usual rent.com, apartment.com, craigslist, etc and I've made the assumption that Avenues, Sugarhouse, and Downtown are where we should start looking for apartments.

Ive been living in downtown Nashville having the best time of my life... Beautiful women, live music everywhere, bars, clubs, etc... Also, i'm coming from the fraternity life in an SEC college makes me a little hesitant about the move since I've read about the liquor laws, private clubs, etc... I'm not a party freak, but I do like to go out and have a good time...

I'm willing to make the move because I love skiing, mountain biking, meeting new people, new places, etc.. and I realize I'm sacrificing some of the night life for the job opportunity and outdoor livin... But, I don't want to give it up completely.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where to get started... Upcoming events, young professional night life, private clubs (geez), pubs, etc..

Also, any further advice on apts? We've heard of the brigham, northgate, and that area... We'll have a much better idea once we drive around lookin for a week or two.. We're in the $600-800 each range, obviously the cheaper the better.. Willing to pay a little more though to get setup in a good location to make the relocation more fun for the first year.

All advice is much appreciated!

Have a good one folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The private club thing is easy to navigate, it's no real problem. And there are restaurants and bars with liquor licenses, it's just that they restrict the number severely, so a private club gets around that - at least, that is what I was told.This is a pretty conservative place; while the city itself is fairly liberal, the government, state and local (aside from the mayor), is almost all Republican. While the quality of life is great, if you pay attention to politics you might get mad!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM

62 posts, read 251,735 times
There is PLENTY of nightlife in SLC. If you want to be close to it, stick to the Avenues and downtown. The area around 9th South and 9th East is a pretty eclectic area - the small shops, coffee shops, near a college. Lots of young people in that area.

The private club thing will probably go away soon - according to what I've read in the paper. The liquor laws here may be a little different but they've been loosened some since the 2002 Olympics. It's easy to get a drink in restaurants and bars and there are some pretty awesome breweries here. At least we're not a "dry" county like Dallas County in Texas - you can't even buy beer in the grocery store there.

The most different liquor issue here is that if you want to buy a bottle of liquor, wine or more than 3.2 beer, it must be purchased at a state liquor store. I resent that the state OWNS the liquor business but it's not a problem buying it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area