Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 18,977 times

Advertisements

I have been searching the website for months to find the best elementary school for my son who will be going to kindergarten in the fall. Since I am a stay at home mom, I am trying to find quality within the public school system. I've applied to every charter school in the valley, but those lotteries seem almost impossible. I've even looked at private schools. If they're that much better than the alternative, I'll consider getting a job and putting my younger child in daycare. Do you have any opinions on which schools are the best?

Initially, I was looking for a school that tought Spanish from kindergarten on, had accelerated programs as an option and low student/teacher ratios. So far, I have been extremely disappointed with what's out there.

I really liked Open Classroom in Salt Lake. I live in Sandy, so it would be a little bit of a commute, but I don't mind if it truly is the best for my child. Anyone have an opinion on that one?

Also, if anyone has any opinions on using U-PASS scores to choose a school, I'd absolutely love to hear them as well.

Thank you so much for your time! I feel like I've been doing this search for so long that I feel completely lost. I could use some assistance, even if it's just to point me in the right direction. At this point, I think my sanity may depend on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,763 times
My wife and I didn't have children because we knew we would have to deal with questions like this.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 18,977 times
I tell ya, it's frustrating! If only we were surrounded by extraordinary schools to choose from...

Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,338 times
Exclamation William Penn

Hello,
I have a daughter who just finished kindergarten at William Penn Elementary. I am having a difficult time, because she was just accepted to the Magnet School program, and I don't know if I want to accept the program or stay at William Penn. William Penn has a very caring staff and parent involvement is very high. Her teacher in Kindergarten sent home work in order to challenge her. William Penn has an advanced learner program already in place and is also starting a pilot program for K-6 where half the subjects are in Spanish and half are in English. William Penn is located just above Highland Drive on Siggard Avenue (about 3700 south) in East Millcreek. I hope this information helps.
Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 PM

48 posts, read 192,912 times
Jilene, I understand your dilema. Most caring parents want their children to go to a "great school" and have access to accelerated learning, foreign language or other special programs. As a parent with two children now in college, the best advice I could give to you is to be "involved" as a parent, rather than worrying so much about WHERE your child will be educated. Teacher quality, school standards, class sizes, student behavior etc are issues all over the US (and in Australia too) and are often beyond your control. But the one element you can control is your input. When my children were in elementary school, I didn't work, and so was able to contribute a good deal of my time to both the school and to my children "outside of school". Your child will learn to read faster and better, if you spend time with them: reading to them, listening to them read and encouraging them to enjoy books. Even in a class of only 20 students the teacher cannot spend much one-on-one time with any child. If you spend time volunteering at the school, you will get to know the teachers & they will get to know you. In my experience, teachers are more likely to take a personal interest in your child and/or approach you if they think your child has a special talent that needs encouraging, or a difficulty that needs attention, if they "know" you and your interest in helping your child's education. You'll also get to know your child's classmates & friends better and get a real feel for the quality of the school and its teachers. Not only that, but at elementary school-age, kids LOVE having Mom at the school. It would be a shame for them and you to miss out on this because you had to work just to send them to a "better" school. If you think your child needs more intellectual or cultural stimulation, you can always get suggestions from their teacher or spend time on extra-curicular activities at home or outside of school. Think dance lessons, music lessons, drama classes, sport, hiking, bike rides, travel. There are a whole host of things that you can do to help your child be a happy, educated, well-rounded individual. We'd all like our children to be little geniuses, getting a fabulous education, but I think sometimes people expect too much of their child's success in life to be the responsibility of teachers and schools. My children attended the local school wherever we lived. Some years I thought their teachers/school was great, other years I thought it could have been better. At the end of the day they both did well enough to get into college and 4 & 3 years in respectively are both succeeding and enjoying life.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Most of the school's in the valley are nice and respectful.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Most of the school's in the valley are nice and respectful.

Sorry, I don't agree with this statement. There are some TERRIBLE schools in the valley, because of the neighborhoods, and crime rate in certain areas.

To the Original Poster: Keep investigating. You will want to find the right school that suits you.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 37,355 times
We lived in South Jordan for a long time and our kids went to Monte Vista and Jordan Ridge. We had them enrolled in the ALPS program. If you are in the Jordan School District, I would highly recommmend checking out the ALPS program. Then, be involved with helping out in the classroom if you can find the time. Great program and great schools! The ALPS program is accelerated and they let my oldest son take Algebra at the Jr. High when he was in 6th grade.

The area near Jordan Ridge is a nice area as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 50,124 times
All i have to say is stay away from jackson elementary. Im sorri its a horrible school, I would know i went there the principal i had went nuts and called an assembly and tryed to play it off like it wasnt the staffs fault that he was quiting. about a month later he became principal at glendale JR. My favorite teacher in 6th grade was trying to do his part in helping the students behave, but his lectures didnt even dent the situation and he quit. Bad School Bad reputation and most of the kids that were in my sixth grade class continued on to west high a well respected school. sadly the majority off them droped out. A kids bad habits are influenced by his enviorment, and that leads to a hard life in the end.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,157 times
Don't give up on the charters yet! My daughter started Kindergarten last year and we didn't get into a charter til mid July. My neighbor also got her kids into a charter last year too. it does happen.
Carden memorial is an excellent school but very, very formal. I loved it since I think it's a shame that manners are not taught anymore. it has an advanced curriculum, and I found the students to be really great. My kids went there for four years and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: