Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 16,569 times

Advertisements

SW Native,

I started out at a retail store, yes, but now work at the DABC main office in SLC.

Was store #16 your store? I know it well...I know most of them well.

Utah is slowly changing...Huntsman is open to change but there are a lot of forces at work here, obviously. I agree with the "3.2" rule, it is quite confusing to outsiders and also it is quite a source of annoyance with natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 94,333 times
And with Huntsman out and Hebert in....what will happen to the changes Huntsman wanted? At least with Huntsman I know he had to do a give and take on the alcohol laws but he was willing to do it. All reports on Hebert ...unfortunately makes me think that he will only stop or maybe reverse a couple decisions if the legislature brings them before him which is wrong.

I dont mind going to a separate store to buy liquor but my issue is leaving beer in grocery and convenience stores but pull the perhaps a touch more appealing alco-pops out of fear that young WOMEN are more tempted by them (which also shows me a sexist attitude). I'm sorry but the stories I hear of clerks saying "they tried stealing beer" in the 18 years I've lived in SLC were just that....BEER. If we're trying to prevent underage drinking then you need to remove all temptation from the grocery stores or at least make the "less hard" (Seagrams, Mike's, Smirnoff Ice) also available to the adults who are just that, adults old enough to make their own choices. Instead of a government demanding certain labeling from companies before it can be sold in Utah. I have encountered this on some liqueurs that I've wanted to purchase as well. They won't sell it in Utah due to "we need a different label" rule.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahStar View Post
And from everything I hear you need to NOT do this. Why? Because there are some (I dont know which ones for certain but know this from someone who would have friends visit and get caught) but some liquor stores in Evanston would actually note Utah liscense plates and call the port of entry and the highway patrol would nail the car and make them dump it out.
If this is in accurate then great, but after hearing this from more then 3 people (2 it happen to) I decided that isn't a very good idea. But then I thought "but what about Wendover, what's to prevent the same from happening there?" so who knows.....it could be one of those urban myths out there.
That would be pretty stupid - why would the WY stores want to discourage Utahns from coming over the border and giving them lots of business? I say BS... except maybe if its a car load of 20-something guys looking like they are gearing up for a big party.

I am from NJ, where you also can't even by beer anywhere except liquor stores (although they are not state stores, and they are plentiful). It's amazing to me to be able to buy beer everywhere from Costco to Walmart to 7-11. And in reality 3.2 is measured by weight, not volume like everyone else does - so it's about the same as 4%. So not a huge deal, BUT...

I agree with whoever said the 3.2 laws do lose UT beer sales by encouraging people to smuggle it in. I know when I drive out of state for whatever reason, I stock up on "real" Corona before coming back to UT. I haven't even seen that in the state liquor stores - all I saw there was fancy micro brew stuff, not the "regular" common brands of beer in regular strength.

And not allowing aloco-pops in the state at all? The rationale for pulling them off the shelves was the stupidest thing I ever heard. I'm not a big consumer of them, but I like some Mikes Hard lemonade now and then.

I also agree that the serving of drinks behind a wall is completely absurd. Like everyone, I was very happy to see the membership thing dropped - that issue was one of the biggest concerns to "out-of-staters" coming to UT on vacation. It would be nice if they were more generous with liquor licenses to allow downtown to develop more of a night life. It's a big weakness for a city this size.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 AM

214 posts, read 872,011 times
hopefully little by little utah liqour laws will change but when that happens it might be another 50 some odd years then it will catch up with the rest of the nation.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM

22 posts, read 94,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
And not allowing aloco-pops in the state at all? The rationale for pulling them off the shelves was the stupidest thing I ever heard. I'm not a big consumer of them, but I like some Mikes Hard lemonade now and then.
Trust me I believe it's totally stupid too. I'm not a big drinker, but would on occasion drink these. I hate the taste of beer (the ONLY hangover I got in 15 years was from too many pitchers of beer), will cook with it, but hate to just "drink" it. I liked Mike's ok, but Seagrams was my favorite and they wont sell here now cause of the stupid new law. Hubby is ok with beer but is more like me. It's not like we buy 2 cases of them and go through them a night, a 4 pack could easily last beyond a weekend, so we are VERY light drinkers. But think of the "store robberies" that are here on the news...its gas or beer. Teenagers will find a way to drink if they truly want to (mine don't, I can say that without a blink) and they dont care if its alco-pops or beer or everclear.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
My biggest problem with being here is that you can't get a good, stiff micro beer from other states like Colorado (Fat Tire, New Belgium). Yet, if you go to any bar in Colorado, that is what you will find in everyone of them, along with Coors, but I'm not a fan. Recently I cracked up when the beer truck from Colorado crashed during a snow storm on I84 and spilled its precious cargo all over the road. Unfortunately, it was headed thru Utah without any planned stops on its way to points beyond in states that accept out of state beer. That is just ridiculous, what is the deal with that?

Oregon is another state with tons of microbrews, and of course not available here. Is it a competition thing with the Utah brewers, or is it the alc content is so absurdly high that they are not welcome here?

Also I think Huntsman made some great changes in this area and the new Governor will not be as accommodating.

No matters, I will soon be in the Micro brew capital of the U.S.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
I'd like to see all alcoholic beverages made illegal in Utah and across the United States.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:22 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I'd like to see all alcoholic beverages made illegal in Utah and across the United States.
Good luck with that

Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Waaay off topic.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
"I'd like to see alcoholic beverages made illegal all across the United States".

They tried that from 1919 to 1933. It was called Prohibition. It didn't work. It was a disaster. People who might never have had a drink went to "speakeasies" (illegal bars) with their friends and had a drink because of the notion that there was something "dare-devil" about breaking the law. Worst of all, organized crime jumped in and undertook the task of seeing that every city and town in the United States got shipments of booze. The "Roaring Twenties" was a high time for the Mafia. Remember Al Capone?

Liquor is and always has been a problem for society. Some people become alcoholics. Others abuse alcohol and drive while intoxicated. Yet, the alternative--trying to abolish drinking--is even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area