Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times

Advertisements

My Tribeca SUV has AWD, I think a lot of SUVs that are more car-based than truck based have AWD these days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My Tribeca SUV has AWD, I think a lot of SUVs that are more car-based than truck based have AWD these days.
Yeah, I should have clarified that in my post. SUVs like the RAV4, CR-V and Tribeca will have AWD while Suburbans, Expeditions and Pathfinders will feature 4WD.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,396 times
AWD means that the car is always pushing all 4 wheels, 4 wheel drive is lilke a truck or something that gives you the option for 2 wheel (usually rear) or four wheel drive. The 2 or 4 wheel drive has nothing to do with how the car stops. When stoping in snow, espessially sliding its more a matter of the tires you have and how sloped the street is as to how strait you will stop

Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 AM

My front-wheel drive Honda Accord fishtailed a little when I braked gently for traffic when the street had not been plowed recently. Scared the $#%^ out of me! I went home and called in to work to say I'd be late. I had regular tires, not old, on that car. Neither of my Subarus (Outback & Tribeca) with AWD have ever done that.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 PM

I Cant give you an explination of why since I wasnt there but I can assure you that the AWD had nothing to do with it. All cars have breaks on all four wheels. some better then others but on ice it really doesnt matter how good your breaks are

Old 07-05-2009, 02:24 PM

23 posts, read 78,051 times
I just had my first winter this past year from Phx (where you have no weather but hot) and hadn't driven in snow in 10+ years. My car is a FWD with good all season tires, the first snow we had I had trouble getting up my steep drive way. After that I bought snow tires and life was good. I am right up on the east bench too. I believe with a good set of snow tires and some knowledge on how to drive on the snow you will be fine. For the ski resorts they offer buses to take you up there.

Where I lived previously with snow I used to find more 4wd's on the side of the road then any car. I sometimes think that people believe that with a 4wd they are road warriors and any common sense snow driving goes out the window. 4wd gets you out of trouble (like when you slide off into the ditch) but doesn't always protect you from getting into it. If you have the means a nice AWD or 4WD vehichle would be great but you would be ok with just some new snow tires.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM

119 posts, read 585,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinchak View Post

Where I lived previously with snow I used to find more 4wd's on the side of the road then any car. I sometimes think that people believe that with a 4wd they are road warriors and any common sense snow driving goes out the window. 4wd gets you out of trouble (like when you slide off into the ditch) but doesn't always protect you from getting into it. If you have the means a nice AWD or 4WD vehichle would be great but you would be ok with just some new snow tires.
I agree 100% with you there! I always shake my head at people going super fast in a snowstorm just because they have 4WD.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2penguins View Post
I agree 100% with you there! I always shake my head at people going super fast in a snowstorm just because they have 4WD.
Or a hard rain! I think folks here are so unused to rain that they can't think about how to drive in it. I avoid all the expressways when it's raining or snowing - if I'm going to get hit by someone, I'd rather have them doing 35 or 40 than 65 or 70!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinchak View Post
I just had my first winter this past year from Phx (where you have no weather but hot) and hadn't driven in snow in 10+ years. My car is a FWD with good all season tires, the first snow we had I had trouble getting up my steep drive way. After that I bought snow tires and life was good. I am right up on the east bench too. I believe with a good set of snow tires and some knowledge on how to drive on the snow you will be fine. For the ski resorts they offer buses to take you up there.

I Agree, tires are 99% of it. Everyone told me my RWD car with less than 6 inches of clearance wouldnt make it around town.. Like I said before, I was all over the benches during snow storms constantly and never once got stuck.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,119 times
I have lived in Park City for 16 years and now down in Millcreek for the past 1. I have not had 4wd or awd. Good ole front wheel drive and snow tires have kept me rollin all winter long. On occasion when the Canyons have restrictions, just hop on the bus.
Good luck on the move and you will enjoy Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area