Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 22,894 times

Advertisements

Just offered a job at the Sierra Nevada Corp. in SLC. I have 2 weeks to move from AZ, and find somewhere to live, (single family home to rent). I am a single mom with a 10 yr. old daughter who is going into 5th grade.
I am in Gilbert AZ and absolutely LOVE it here. Orig. from Long Beach/Big Bear Lake CA, and love AZ. It kills me having to make this move, but I cannot pass up this job, and the money they are offering me to join them.

I have never been to Utah, and I am not mormon. Do any non-mormon areas exist in the area? Schools are important, and we need to live around lots of kids. No condo/townhome/etc - 2 dogs, so we need a yard and a garage for my boat, quads/go karts, etc. And since some previous posters brought it up, I guess I'll throw in a request for areas with the LEAST amount of Liberals. I have a difficult time tolerating those who cannot see, or don't care, that our great country and constitution are being demolished, right in front of our very eyes, on a daily basis. I would prefer to stay FAR away from all supporters of this madness, but I know that's not possible. So I'm asking where, if anywhere, do the real americans with basic common sense reside in SLC?

Hope I didnt offend anyone, but this country is in big trouble, and it's hard not to be bothered by it all, especially when you have children who are going be stuck paying for this madness, and left with a corrupt Marxist/Communist country to call home.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by coralynhill; 07-31-2009 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,413 times
Unfortunately for you, the areas with the least liberals are the areas with the most Mormons. Finding a conservative non-Mormon area in Utah is as difficult as finding a liberal Mormon area in Utah. Pretty rare.

So, pick your poison: live downtown or in a downtown neighborhood (Sugar House, Avenues, Central City, Yalecrest, Federal Heights), where the majority of residents are not LDS but probably won't agree with your political views. Or, live out in the suburbs, where it's a clear Mormon majority, but where you and your neighbors can agree on the evil liberals.

Both poisons have areas with lots of children (all of Utah does!) and single family homes, though they're generally a bit more affordable in the suburbs. But IMO, the schools are a bit better in the downtown areas and you don't have as long a commute to SNC from downtown.

If I were you, I'd go the suburb route. Sandy, Draper, Riverton, Herriman, Bluffdale, South Jordan, West Jordan, Taylorsville, even someplace in Utah County. Some of the more southwestern suburbs (Herriman, Bluffdale, South Jordan, Riverton) will even have other ATV riders out and about in the fields. (Plus, SNC is on the west side of downtown.) But, of course, it's pretty dominantly Mormon in all those areas.

Based on this post, I think you'll get along with the Mormons really well; you might even find yourself converting.

(SoBelle and other friends here at the forum, I hope you noticed my restraint in responding! )

Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Are you for real? I'm shocked to hear some of what I read. First, you want a "non-Mormon" area. Second, you don't want to live around liberals. I hate to break this news to you: In Utah, the most non-liberal people are ordinarily going to be LDS.

Please don't move into my neighborhood. I opposed Bush's War and most of the other dumb-a** things he did while President. So, I probably would offend you.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
TO the OP: I'm sure you're upsed and in a hurry so we are cutting you some slack. Re-read your post and you might see how it could be considered in poor taste by lots of us, LDS or not, liberal or not.

I also agree the suburbs are probably best for you as traffic is bad and living near the job only makes sense. I would suggest you rent a house (lots available) until you are sure you like the area. The close-in city areas already named are mixed liberal and conservative. Not that it matters since you seem to be quite rabid on the subject, but I rarely if ever dicuss politics w/my neighbors when meeting casually on the street or someone's front porch.

Schools in all of UT are corwded, large class sizes, and maybe more so in the suburbs. Almost everyone in UT is pleasant and welcoming, whether LDS or not, liberal or not.

Don't get your pa$%ies in a twist over this!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,600 times
Which location will you be working at? The one on 6400 South or the one on 15th south?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Neither

I turned the job down. Staying here in Sheriff Joe country with the heat.
Thanks anyway

Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Nobody offends me, and I am not a Bush fan either, or the Iraq war. I just don't like criminals ruining the country we live in. Liberals don't offend me...facts and truth is offensive, ignorance and cluelessness is not.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralynhill View Post
...facts and truth is offensive, ignorance and cluelessness is not.
Is it just me, or is there a lot of irony right there?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Oh, and:

I'm still not sure what's so bad about living near liberals, when they're probably anti-Bush, too. Can somebody specify what criminals we're talking about here? Is this an undocumented immigrant thing?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 PM

39 posts, read 103,305 times
Wow... just... wow. Probably best for you to stay where you are and not stray too far from your comfort zone. Experiencing other cultures and encountering other viewpoints might lead to.... empathy (gasp).

Sincerely, though, good luck with whatever you choose.

interpose: Ok, since it appears that the OP no longer is considering relocating to Utah and all that will be accomplished by leaving this discussion open is to get into a big political flaming session, this thread is closed. Thanks for the participation.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-01-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area