Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 108,834 times

Advertisements

for blue collar type jobs? My husband's cousin who lives in Logan said there are a few factories in the Logan area where my husband could easily get a job. What about blue collar jobs in general? My hub is a UT certified firefighter, but it is difficult getting jobs in firefighting. He also has interest and experience in Law enforcement as well as landscaping, warehousing and construction. He would like to do landscaping on the side and eventually have his own business with that. But, whatever he can get in this economy he will take-he is just a more hands on type not sitting behind a desk type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM

28 posts, read 68,550 times
My husband is in management at a factory in Logan (well...in Hyrum, just south of Logan) that employs around 1500. Turnover is fairly low right now, but they are still usually recruiting. It's a beef plant, though, so maybe not exactly what your hub is looking for. They are running a lot of overtime right now, which I guess is good and bad. Good money, but not a lot of spare time to try to get a side business started. There are a few other large factories I can think of (two cheese factories, an exercise equipment factory, a document processing plant) that I see job ads for fairly often, and then some other factories (crackers, plastic bags, etc.) that don't seem to be hiring as often.

So, short answer...yes, there are blue collar jobs hiring up here.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,872 times
Logan seems to have quite a few 'blue-collar' type jobs. There's a lot production plants, processing, manufacturing, etc. Places like Icon Health & Fitness, Gossner Foods, Schriebers, and Millers Beef as mentioned above come to mind, among many others. I'm not sure if these are the highest paying jobs, especially due to it being a bit of a college town, so you get lower wages for jobs where experience, or degrees aren't as important.

Unemployment wise, the Logan metro is in the top 10 of all metros in America, currently at 4.4 percent, so that would probably bode well for the amount of jobs there. Source (http://www.utahurbanforum.com/cache-valley-business-economy-news-t161.html - broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
Logan seems to have quite a few 'blue-collar' type jobs. There's a lot production plants, processing, manufacturing, etc. Places like Icon Health & Fitness, Gossner Foods, Schriebers, and Millers Beef as mentioned above come to mind, among many others. I'm not sure if these are the highest paying jobs, especially due to it being a bit of a college town, so you get lower wages for jobs where experience, or degrees aren't as important.

Unemployment wise, the Logan metro is in the top 10 of all metros in America, currently at 4.4 percent, so that would probably bode well for the amount of jobs there. Source (http://www.utahurbanforum.com/cache-valley-business-economy-news-t161.html - broken link)
That is good to know Mr. Anderson. My boyfriend who works in Logan was told unemployment was ridiculously high (over 30%) there right now, though I don't know where the statistic came from. I'm thinking where ever it came from they must have included stay at home parents or college students who don't work. I thought it was a little skewed.....lol

Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
That is good to know Mr. Anderson. My boyfriend who works in Logan was told unemployment was ridiculously high (over 30%) there right now, though I don't know where the statistic came from. I'm thinking where ever it came from they must have included stay at home parents or college students who don't work. I thought it was a little skewed.....lol
Lol, yeah that sounds like it was their own 'rough estimate' of some sort. No metro in America is that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area