Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,770,990 times

Advertisements

Yes indeed, with all the controversy over the poorly funded schools systems in Utah it's time for them to "think OUT of the box". It would serve them well to consider going to large business, corporate and other possible sponsors to aid in the financial crisis. Other places have called on this resource and it can serve both the schools and the community well. They just seem to find it easier to reach into the taxpayers pockets time and time again. I'm suggesting that both the schools administrations as well as the students, organize, in a way that can encourage the business community to help by sponsoring various functions of the schools systems. It can be as simple as sponsoring a school function to a class itself, aiding in the supplying of needed items for that class to operate. If done on a large enough scale it could easily become a huge help towards making up for the shortfalls they now have and WILL CONTINUE to have in the future. Business is the only truly renewable resource, so I suggest they utilize it as a financial/sponsoring resource. If someone in the districts will take the first steps to contact and suggest this to some large corporate sponsors, then they too can move it to all levels of the business community. After all, THEY are the ones that will benefit from a well educated work force in the future, why not invest in it TODAY! This way I also get to stay in my house along with countless others as well Let's not forget they will garner tax benefits from it as well. It's a win win for the kids, the community at large and the entire educational system. It's one thing to build by putting brick upon brick, but it sure helps to have some mortar in between those bricks as you're building You CAN get construction companies to kick in to help build more schools, you can get computer manufacturers, suppliers to kick in computers and the list goes on and on. You just have to get someone to organize it and get it done. It's NOT rocket science. Sure beats sitting on their duff crying the "woah is me" without DOING something about it. They just need to be more proactive and "get er done"! I do it every day. I'm on the phone making it happen, they can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM

74 posts, read 202,259 times
Why dcisive - what a brilliant idea and so pro-active. In my time away from Utah over the last two years, I have learned to apprecciate a ton about Utah and also have learned about other ideas from other states. Your "out of the box" idea is worth contemplating. I think when something is not working within a system, it is time to look outward and maybe see what other systems have done to alleviate problems or make improvements. Nothing is perfect but I think it is great to brainstorm. I think looking at how much other states are putting forth on education, their tax systems, really closely analyzing it from a cost input to output to achieve quality is necessary to fix Utah schools. Another area of thought is how to bridge this gap when the revenue just doesn't cut it.

Something that is being done in my school district in Texas could be something to try out. A handful of restaurants have signed up to sponsor schools and a certain percentage of their revenue goes to either specific school or the local school district. So, last night was my son's fundraiser at the local Chilli's - 10% of the revenue raised last night went to his school but you have to mention it to the customer service people. I would say 5 restaurants do it in our small town and they do it regularly. I have seen local grocery stores that also let patrons donate a percentage of their grocery bill so you need to tell the cashier and it is logged into the system as points and the points are converted in money and allocated to the schools. Grocery stores may raise their product cost by a couple cents to help offset this but again, it is not a dramatic amount. People seem to handle paying a little more here and there than receiving a massive 600.00 dollar tax hike at the end of year - right before X-mas. Personally, I think it is a small amount per purchase but it does make a difference over a year and we are talking high volume of sales. I can envision pulling it to larger scale where businesses such as Larry Miller's car empire and so on. There are a lot of people that have money in Utah that I think would be on board to help out. It is without a doubt one of the kindest plaaces I have lived.
Pretty much, options are endless and it does not have to be a great profit dipper (and yes, a tax incentive could be dangled) - I know a lot of businesses are hurting but like stated above, it is a volume thing. Also, if one were to make a fancy sticker that reads "I am a school sponsor" and it was displayed on their front wiondow - it may encourage people to do business with that specific business that helps their community schools. I see it much like what we have done in Sugarhouse by supporting locally owned businesses - one would reward businesses with their partnership to schools. (King's English RULES side thought) I really think there is something to building the partnership between community business and schools. I think to implement it, you start bottom up but you must convince legislators/leaders to get involved. They have power and connections to get things to happen. Every decision in our world relates back to money and politics. You can't discuss school decisions without having a political conversation concurrently (my opinion).

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,227,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yes indeed, with all the controversy over the poorly funded schools systems in Utah it's time for them to "think OUT of the box". It would serve them well to consider going to large business, corporate and other possible sponsors to aid in the financial crisis. Other places have called on this resource and it can serve both the schools and the community well. They just seem to find it easier to reach into the taxpayers pockets time and time again. I'm suggesting that both the schools administrations as well as the students, organize, in a way that can encourage the business community to help by sponsoring various functions of the schools systems. It can be as simple as sponsoring a school function to a class itself, aiding in the supplying of needed items for that class to operate. If done on a large enough scale it could easily become a huge help towards making up for the shortfalls they now have and WILL CONTINUE to have in the future. Business is the only truly renewable resource, so I suggest they utilize it as a financial/sponsoring resource. If someone in the districts will take the first steps to contact and suggest this to some large corporate sponsors, then they too can move it to all levels of the business community. After all, THEY are the ones that will benefit from a well educated work force in the future, why not invest in it TODAY! This way I also get to stay in my house along with countless others as well Let's not forget they will garner tax benefits from it as well. It's a win win for the kids, the community at large and the entire educational system. It's one thing to build by putting brick upon brick, but it sure helps to have some mortar in between those bricks as you're building You CAN get construction companies to kick in to help build more schools, you can get computer manufacturers, suppliers to kick in computers and the list goes on and on. You just have to get someone to organize it and get it done. It's NOT rocket science. Sure beats sitting on their duff crying the "woah is me" without DOING something about it. They just need to be more proactive and "get er done"! I do it every day. I'm on the phone making it happen, they can too.
I love ideas but it will be a tough sell. Too many people have knee jerk anit-corporate responses. Plus people are idealistic about the "purity" of tax payer funded non-corporate schools.

I still say we push for it, if any state can do it we can. I come from CA so I am still a little stuck in how Californians think.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
Something that is being done in my school district in Texas could be something to try out. A handful of restaurants have signed up to sponsor schools and a certain percentage of their revenue goes to either specific school or the local school district. So, last night was my son's fundraiser at the local Chilli's - 10% of the revenue raised last night went to his school but you have to mention it to the customer service people. I would say 5 restaurants do it in our small town and they do it regularly. I have seen local grocery stores that also let patrons donate a percentage of their grocery bill so you need to tell the cashier and it is logged into the system as points and the points are converted in money and allocated to the schools. Grocery stores may raise their product cost by a couple cents to help offset this but again, it is not a dramatic amount. People seem to handle paying a little more here and there than receiving a massive 600.00 dollar tax hike at the end of year - right before X-mas. (my opinion).
Our school does this a lot but from what I see it is only the families at the school mention the schools promotion.

If the stores and restaurants would "sponsor" as you say and donate a percentage from every sale on a given day, that could be promoted to the whole community.

I have heard about large corporations such as Microsoft sponsoring schools in AZ but I don't remember the details.

If we can find a specific aptitude or skill that seems to prevail in our state we could go after companies that need those types of skills. If we produce a lot of engineers we could have aerospace firms sponsor our schools etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I LOVE the idea of using Restaurants as an example. Just the start. I must say if there was a restaurant doing this I'd gladly patronize them by going there before another just for that reason alone. Why can't it work? Nobody has tried it yet and it sure makes sense to me. It doesn't even require that there be any prerequisites to serving the community in this way. Companies who we buy from locally are the perfect source for this. If they help US then we help THEM. It's win win for sure. I wish the school administration would read this and get a clue and start making some good stuff happen.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
So get involved and do something! Work up a proposal and present it to the school board.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I LOVE the idea of using Restaurants as an example. Just the start. I must say if there was a restaurant doing this I'd gladly patronize them by going there before another just for that reason alone. Why can't it work? Nobody has tried it yet and it sure makes sense to me. It doesn't even require that there be any prerequisites to serving the community in this way. Companies who we buy from locally are the perfect source for this. If they help US then we help THEM. It's win win for sure. I wish the school administration would read this and get a clue and start making some good stuff happen.
Are you in the Jordan district? If so hit me up offline, there is a group on Facebook that just started regarding this exact issue. I'll send you an invite.

It is usually a school by school event (which is fine by me) but i can see a chain doing it for the whole district. We get about one flyer a month that says Dominoes Pizza some other company on X street will give 10% to of your purchase to X school if you mention the flyer.

It is a risk for a business since they will need to staff appropriately (we once waited 2 hours for Pizza on one of those nights) since it could backfire on them.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

According to my tax report I get each year from the assessor there's NO doubt I AM in the Jordan School District. Last I checked Herriman is. Anyway I sent my message to you to get hooked up with this group.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,078,564 times
I am over on that snobby east side but would love to get involved too. I think all school districts in Utah are going to be having the same issue as Jordan soon, so please let me know about the Facebook thing too. I was wondering on the way to work that if people just chipped in a little bit of $$-or a lot-,it may really add up quickly..Well a head tax would be even more beneficial but don't get me going on that!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM

LOL indeed you won't win any popularity contests in the State of Utah if you levy a head count onto the costs of schooling here. Tell ya what however....make that 2 votes on that account. I've never been Mr. Popularity anyway, I have nothing to lose It is as it's very best "fair".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area