Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 116,214 times

Advertisements

I realize that this is a ridiculous question, but are the a lot of poisonous snakes in Utah? If my husband and I end up relocating to Utah, I'd love to get outdoors and hike; however, I have a terrible fear of snakes. If snakes are a problem, I may have to spend my days shopping and not hiking. (At least that's how I'll justify it to my husband! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_girl View Post
I realize that this is a ridiculous question, but are the a lot of poisonous snakes in Utah? If my husband and I end up relocating to Utah, I'd love to get outdoors and hike; however, I have a terrible fear of snakes. If snakes are a problem, I may have to spend my days shopping and not hiking. (At least that's how I'll justify it to my husband! )
You're going to have a hard time justifying it, dz_girl. Yeah, there are snakes but if you are even reasonably cautious, you should not have any trouble with them whatsoever. Shopping, on the other hand, is always a very good alternative activity.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,034 times
I was on a hike in the mountains here and ran into a rattlesnake directly on the trail. Had to wait for it to leave to walk by (It's illegal to kill them). So yeah, they're definitely out and about in the mountains. Especially in the summer. Not as much in the developed areas, but definitely in the mountains.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:51 PM

34 posts, read 116,214 times
Well, it looks as if I won't be hiking in Utah during the summer.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM

224 posts, read 640,106 times
There are snakes here? Dang I really wish I would see one once in awhile.

I like the outdoors, I'm out there some, not enough. I think I've only seen a snake once. Lizards I see, but not snakes. They must not like me.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM

139 posts, read 501,769 times
I wouldn't cancel any outdoor activity on the avoidance of snakes.

Seriously....your odds of seeing a snake are incredibly slim. My wife and I both grew up in Utah, and have spent tons of time in the mountains hiking, camping, fishing, river running, etc....and between the two of us, the number of snakes we've seen has been miniscule!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

146 posts, read 495,843 times
I have seen a few snakes while mountain biking, but nothing poisonous. Wait, I did see a rattler once but he was squashed, some rider ran over it.
I had no idea it was illegal to kill them.

I wouldn't worry about it, you rarely see them, if at all. If you hike instead of bike they will flee before you even come upon them for the most part.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_girl View Post
There are snakes in every one of the 48 continental states. You are unlikely to ever see a venemous snake while hiking.

Utah is a gorgeous state, to let this ruin the outdoors and hiking is a shame.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM

498 posts, read 1,455,756 times
I've seen more snakes in the suburbs than in the mountains. (that's one in total)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area