Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
OK I don't know where this thread is going but let me tell you my story. I was fat and happy running XP on my four year old computer. I noticed that when people asked me for help on their computers it was usually VISTA or 7. I was usually able to help them but I knew it was time to upgrade. The wake up call happened when I got a crazy virus that completely disabled my computer. I think I know where I got it. Never mind. I was getting some E-mails from people interested in hiring me but my computer was a basket case. I tried going to Texas Workforce and using their computers but it didn't work. I needed a working computer NOW!!! I went to the 99 cent computer store but they don't sell Mother boards. Go figure. They mostly just sell junk. Sorry but true. Altex had everything I needed. They got me back online mostly. I got Windows 8 from Walmart and a big memory chip from BestBuy but if not for Altex I don't know what I would have done. Every computer nerd needs to support them no matter what it costs. The job you save might be your own!
You got a virus and had to get a new MB?

I don't think I'm following you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM

47 posts, read 87,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
You got a virus and had to get a new MB?

I don't think I'm following you.
Ok I will tell you what happened. I was running XP and I had Dial UP. I was happy with that. I am trying to get a job with the Census. They do most of their stuff online. I got this VIRUS. It was weird. It was trying to protect me by not allowing me to use my computer! I couldn't even play solitare! Totally locked up! GREAT! I tried everything (And I do mean everything!) I had to start from scratch. Not that difficult and I should have done it years ago. I am on Broadband now (That's another story!). I think I will be working for the CENSUS. (I HOPE ANYWAY) Maybe I will be knocking on your door soon!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM

161 posts, read 360,478 times
Buying a new motherboard does not clean a system of malware. You can do that for free, or pay someone a couple bucks to do it for you, but it doesn't physically break your computer. Someone took advantage of you.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
I think he decided he needed to start with a clean disk, and since he was doing that, he decided to start over with new everything.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 87,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I think he decided he needed to start with a clean disk, and since he was doing that, he decided to start over with new everything.
Yes that is what happened. I needed to Download some applications from the Census Bureau and time was running out. I tried analyzing and troubleshooting and I made some progress but in the end I used the trusty shotgun approach. Always effective! It was stuff I had been needing to do anyway. I think I did good on the interview so the income I make working the Census will more than pay for the upgrade.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 497 times
Hi All,

I would like to learn how to build my own gaming computer now that I have the time. Are there any computer groups in San Antonio that I could join to learn from or is there a course available to take?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
I'll say, I paid a guy $100 to put a computer together for me in college. After that I learned how to do it myself and have built every PC I've ever had after that.

Buy a case.
Buy a motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and power supply.
Plug that stuff into the mobo.
Screw the mobo into the case (don't forget the spacers, you don't want the motherboard touching the case).
Buy a video card and HDDs.
Plug the video card into the mobo.
Plug the HDD into the PSU, plug the HDD into the mobo.
Buy an optical drive.
Plug the optical drive into the PSU, plug the HDD into the mobo.

Close the case and turn it on.

Watch a youtube video on it, that's how I learned. I am pretty automotively obtuse and couldn't change a spark plug for all the tea in china but assembling a PC is EXTREMELY easy. Everything plugs in only one way and short of physically stomping the components or pouring coke all over everything it is pretty much fool proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio