Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times

Advertisements

What many people don't realize is that, since the new schools are built to relieve over-crowding in existing schools, They do not add many new positions. Many of the teachers/staff from the existing schools are tapped to go to the new one. Those positions now do not have to be replaced.

I recently interviewed for an aide position. I have a Masters' degree and 3 certifications. After the interview, I was told that the principal was seeing many other applicants who were "equally qualified". I personally know a number of certified teachers who are taking aide positions, just to get a permanent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amye1158 View Post
I have a Masters' degree and 3 certifications. After the interview, I was told that the principal was seeing many other applicants who were "equally qualified".
May I ask you what certifications you have? I also have a Master's but it is in Communications (MA), not in Education.

I know I need to be alternatively certified. I'm just not sure which one is ideal. I'm not a Math/Science person so I know that is out of the question.

I heard there's a "generalist" category depending on the grade(s) one wants to teach.

Feel free to direct message me if you prefer.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
if you MA is in communications you might check what it takes for a speech certification since that is now called "comunications" and is more about the group dynamics of communication--not just making speeches in front of the class...

you might also see about journalism -- more work because you have to do the newspaper and often yearbook but there is extra money for those jobs as well...

just remember that alt cert degrees MUST teach for one year to qualify as a CERTIFIED teacher--so until you complete the year of teaching you cannot meet the state standard for exceptional or fully qualified or whatever teachers are expected to be---
that hurts because principals don't want too many in a school before they are certified...
it hurts the TAKS ratings...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times
xsa - I DM'd you earlier today.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The Taj Mahal schools are putting teachers out of work
Growing up in a city much bigger than SA, I can't remember when there was ever a teacher layoff. If the ratio is down from 33/1 to about 20 something to one then there should be a need for more teacher. (More kids equal more building but less teachers,hum ) Evidently, we need all the teacher we can get not fancy buildings. Did honest Abe, Reagan, or Obama go to a Taj Mahal. Its has to be a correlation there somewhere or where in the world is my tax dollars going.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Where are your tax dollars going...ask your government. They have said at school board meetings and publications that the reason for teacher layoffs is due to the reduced funding from the state. Apparently the state funds money to other programs rather than teacher employment. As majormadmax has stated many times the so called fancy buidlings are allocated from Bonds that are voted on.......

Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Yes, they're *built* with bond funds, which are repaid with tax money. And maintained with tax money....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio