Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM

779 posts, read 1,661,159 times

Advertisements

I have an interview later today, but it's interoffice. I know the people that i'll be interviewing with well. I've worked with them in the past and pass by them on a daily basis.

So question is, should I wear a tie or not? Professional office setting btw, but we only wear slacks and dress shirts, no ties everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
If they're interviewing people from outside the office, you want to be on an equal or better footing than them. External people won't know the office dress code and will likely dress up more. I'd definitely dress up if the competition is external.

Dressing the same as you do everyday will cause the folks doing the interviewing to think of you as you are in your current job. You want them to think of you as more advanced than that, correct? It might pay to look the part.

To make this thread on topic for San Antonio... it is tough to wear long sleeves, a tie and a sportcoat during the heat of the summer here, if you're not used to it. I know people who have done that and I have done it on other occasions and it is no fun at all. If the interview will last for a while, bring some water with you.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,548 times
When I used to work at a Fortune 500 company where a lot of hiring occurred internally, it was always expected for you to wear a shirt and tie for the interview. If you're going for a management position of any kind, a sport coat probably wouldn't be out of the question either.

Then again, I'm not sure if a coat is appropriate down here in San Antonio. I work for the Government now, and where in the Northeast, you ALWAYS see the folks from my branch wearing full suits... in my field office here, a Sport Coat is only worn if we're meeting a VP or General-level official.

/shrug

Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

359 posts, read 774,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
To make this thread on topic for San Antonio...
...you'd wear a bolo tie and cowboy hat.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

To make this thread on topic for San Antonio... it is tough to wear long sleeves, a tie and a sportcoat during the heat of the summer here, if you're not used to it. I know people who have done that and I have done it on other occasions and it is no fun at all. If the interview will last for a while, bring some water with you.

I was initially determined to wear a suit to each facility I went to visit in my new job here in San Antonio.

That quickly ended when I had to go to a large facility and walk all over the campus from building to building in 95 degree heat.

I about died.

Now, I bring a suit for the first (in-brief) and last (out-brief) days, lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Sweating during an interview ain't gonna score you many points either!

Probably the easiest thing to do is ask. This can't be the first interviews they've conducted, nor are you the first one from inside the company to apply. Find someone who's been through this already, and find out what the wore!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,282 times
Of course you should wear a tie. When in doubt, play it safe.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
You want to match your appearance to the people you are meeting with. If the people you are meeting with are is suits and ties then you wear a suit and tie. If they are casual you go a tad above casual (dressy casual).

You'll look like a fool walking into an office where people where jeans a t-shirt on a daily in a 3 piece suit. But, you'll also look lame wearing a pair of slacks and a button up if everyone else is wearing 3 piece suits.

If, through any normal research (not passing the people on a normal basis..I'm talking google, networking, job blogs, etc.) you can come to the conclusion that a tie wouldn't be necessary then don't wear a tie. But if through normal research a tie would be necessary then wear a tie.

When I interview for jobs in the summer I usually wear a cardigan and a sparkly camisole with black pants and heels. Then I can peel off the cardigan then second I get in the car. If I'm feeling really lucky i'll wear a longer skirt and closed toe flats (no open toes!).

Hopefully you aced it tie or not! Good luck!

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 07-06-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: added more to make it relevant

Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You'll look like a fool walking into an office where people where jeans a t-shirt on a daily in a 3 piece suit. But, you'll also look lame wearing a pair of slacks and a button up if everyone else is wearing 3 piece suits.
I agree!
Plus the summer temps don't helps matters

Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,067 times
One vote cast for definitely wear the tie. Suit and tie and shined shoes for interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio