Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,118 times

Advertisements

My child's middle school in San Antonio will be starting school at 8:20am. The earliest I can drop off with supervision is maybe 7:45am. By that time, I am already late to work and so is my husband. I checked into before school programs but none exist. We just moved here and don't know anyone well enough to ask them for rides. What do you guys out there do to solve problem. I may have to quit my job just to get my child to school on time. It's ridiculous. BTW, the buses won't pickup till around 7:30ish (still too late).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Many of us have been in that situation. when I was, my son said to me "Mom, I can do this on my own" ...so we armed him with a cell phone and he went to the bus stop every morning and sent me a text saying he was on his way to school. Same thing for coming home. The rare mornings he forgot, we called the school to make sure he arrived.

I don't know if that would work for you or not, simply stating an idea that worked for us.

Only other suggestion is to ask a neighbor that may have a student going to the same school if your son can hang out there in the morning?

It is unfortunate that the bus can't be earlier however they are already out doing elementary school runs, then they do middle, then they dash off to high school. Booked solid.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM

184 posts, read 462,025 times
I will be in the same situation next school year sort of. I have my son who will start middle school and my daughter who will still be in elementary, i am able to drop off for elementary because they start at a decent time but not sure what to do about my son in middle school. I trust him as far as going by himself to school and coming home from school but don't trust all those sick people out there. I really think the schools should invest in a before school program for all the working parents out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
It's really sad that neither of your places of employment will be flexible. I mean, how long are we even talking about??? Really? I mean, yes, the economy is bad but for Pete's sake, it's your family. Have you already asked and been turned down?

I would try a neighbor or one of your son's friends. People are usually very willing to help each other out....but if they don't know, they won't!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,500 times
We did the same as Mamatotex97. At the time my daughter was in middle school as well. She set the alarm, locked up, and made it to her bus stop on time every time.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM

184 posts, read 462,025 times
To me this makes no sense, they run a bus for middle school but not elementary school on my street. You would think the younger kids in elementary school would need the bus more than the older kids in middle school.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,454 times
Quote:
Many of us have been in that situation. when I was, my son said to me "Mom, I can do this on my own" ...so we armed him with a cell phone and he went to the bus stop every morning and sent me a text saying he was on his way to school. Same thing for coming home. The rare mornings he forgot, we called the school to make sure he arrived.
Same here too. A sixth grader is not a baby anymore and should start learning responsibilities expected of a teen. A middle schooler can and should know when to call 911 and know where to go if a stranger is bothering them. I would recommend that your child ride the school bus to school. There could be other kids and maybe parents/older siblings/relatives at the bus stop as well anyway.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's really sad that neither of your places of employment will be flexible. I mean, how long are we even talking about??? Really? I mean, yes, the economy is bad but for Pete's sake, it's your family. Have you already asked and been turned down?

I would try a neighbor or one of your son's friends. People are usually very willing to help each other out....but if they don't know, they won't!
When I had this problem, I was able to cut my hour lunch to 30 minutes or stay 30 minutes later. A friend of mine just came in a hour later and worked an hour later, but we had a good boss and the hours of the business fit the situation. I think your best bet is to ask a neighbor or check with your HOA and see if they can point you to someone with kids your child's age. The school may have a carpool group or a moms in touch group that also may help you.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,118 times
I appreciate the ideas. However, in this day and age of predators and sickos, I can't feel comfortable dropping my kid off unsupervised at a bus stop or alone at an unattended school. My family was in law enforcement and I've seen first-hand some of the things that can happen. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than sorry. I teach at a private school that requires that I start the day at 7:45 am. Too expensive to take my own kids there. My husband is required to begin the day at 7am. Neither is flexible due to the nature of the jobs. Don't know anyone yet since we are new to town. I really wish there was a program or daycare center that would pick up my child early and keep until it was time to take to school (private bus). I would pay for that service. However, options are pretty bleek and I may just have to quit. I appreciate the ideas. Keep 'em coming. Maybe one will work for me and my husband. My kids come first. If I have to sacrifice my salary to make sure I get my kids to and from school, then so be it.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:22 PM

354 posts, read 711,929 times
Gee...I don't have any suggestions---did a quick search for drop offs for kids in San Antonio/early am day care...no luck, but I'll look a little further. I am a teacher and don't have to be at work (HS) until 8:30AM, boy I wish I could help you out! I live Northside...I've only been here a year and a half and I know what its like to not know anybody at first! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio