Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM

258 posts, read 638,101 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have so many digital pictures that I have saved on my computer, but I would like to transfer them to a website just in case something ever happened to my computer. I don't want to lose all of my pictures! Can you suggest a great place to transfer digital pictures and also an inexpensive and easy place to print them from?
Thank you for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Picasa - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
then export your pictures from your picture folder ( do not export from the entire C drive!)
after you have all your pictures in picasa albums, you have an option to download all to: picasaweb.google.com

Have fun!!

http://www.learningelectric.com/picasa2/

Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM

258 posts, read 638,101 times
Thank you. I think I am about 10 years behind in technology.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM
cjw

125 posts, read 480,244 times
Another solution is to buy a seperate external hard drive. You can buy many sizes - 250mb to 1+gb. They aren't real expensive when you consider the value of your photos. And they are very easy to use.

You connect it to your computer by USB and then it will show up as another drive, like your c: drive. Copy the pictures to the external hard drive, disconnect it and then store the hard drive somewhere safe. I personally wouldn't rely on a website to store my photos.

Here is an example of an external hard drive. There are hundreds out there so you can read reviews and see which one is best for you.
Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST902504EXA101-RK: Computer & Accessories

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Love Seagate! I have an external and it's easy to setup. It comes with software so when you do run backup, it only does a backup of the changes to the files stored on the external, not the whole backup, thus saving you time.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
Hi,
I have so many digital pictures that I have saved on my computer, but I would like to transfer them to a website just in case something ever happened to my computer. I don't want to lose all of my pictures! Can you suggest a great place to transfer digital pictures and also an inexpensive and easy place to print them from?
Thank you for your suggestions.
I save them in CDs/DVDs.
And I bought a special CD case where I keep all my pictures and movies.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I save them in CDs/DVDs.
And I bought a special CD case where I keep all my pictures and movies.
CDs and DVDs can degrade. Low quality discs have a shelf live of about 10 years.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,946 times
+1 on the external hard drive. people save their stuff on facebook, picasa, myspace, etc. but what happens if one day they disappear?

i'd rather have a reliable hard drive backup that is my possesion, not someone else's.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
+1 on the external hard drive. people save their stuff on facebook, picasa, myspace, etc. but what happens if one day they disappear?

i'd rather have a reliable hard drive backup that is my possesion, not someone else's.
Buy your own hosting. Amazon, GoDaddy, etc. are not disappearing. They're more reliable than a hard drive, although I would use both.

Facebook and MySpace are not for photo storage (full resolution).

Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,710 times
I use my own hosting for online backup, but it sounds like it might be beyond the current tech savviness of the OP.

Since external hard drives are so cheap, in addition to the backup of your hard drive that others have suggested, you might want to get an additional drive for keeping off site in case of catastrophe - like a fire. You probably want to make this one an encrypted backup which the backup software that comes with the drives might already support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio