Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM

44 posts, read 218,669 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently searching for a new job and on the applications, it asks if they can contact my current employer. I don't want my current employer knowing I'm currently looking for another job. Do potential employers see it as a bad thing if I say no, they can't contact my current employer?

Any input would help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx2010 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am currently searching for a new job and on the applications, it asks if they can contact my current employer. I don't want my current employer knowing I'm currently looking for another job. Do potential employers see it as a bad thing if I say no, they can't contact my current employer?

Any input would help. Thanks in advance!
I've always put "NO", that they cannot contact my employer. An interview book that I read called "knock em dead" says not to let the current employer be contacted until a mutual interest has been established. After that point, then of course your prospective employer may contact your current employer.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 20,219 times
I always add something along the lines of, "yes, but please wait until I'm a final candidate."

Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
If you put 'no,' it might be a flag to your prospective employer that you are trying to hide something. As such, I would recommend putting 'yes' unless you do have something to hide!

Honestly, what employer doesn't expect its employees to look for better jobs? If you aren't getting the opportunities you think you deserve at your current job, then you should be looking elsewhere for them! You're an employee, not a slave; and if your current employer doesn't offer enough to entice you to stay with the company, you have ever right to pursue better a better job.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above advice; but for the most part you should never give any indication that there are issues where you currently work, even if there are!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etznab View Post
I always add something along the lines of, "yes, but please wait until I'm a final candidate."
I like this idea.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Of course, there are exceptions to the above advice; but for the most part you should never give any indication that there are issues where you currently work, even if there are!

Cheers! M2
One exception would be when my friend's work environment was so toxic and a potential employer thought nothing of confidentiality. The potential employer calls her current employer and once that happened, the boss made it unbearable for her to be there. A few weeks later, she was fired.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I'm an expert on interviews (learned the hard way) and the answer is always "NO".
Believe me.... they know that most companies would kick you to the curve if they know you are looking for another job.

Nobody is going to say yes to that question for obvious reasons.
Now, what you can do to make yourself look good is to say:
"I would be ok with you contacting my employer to discuss my performance in my current job
(that has to sound like you really wish he could talk to your boss),
but I'd rather not let my employer know that I'm going to leave the company until I've found another job"

Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
In an interview with South Texas Blood and Tissue Center, the interviewer asked me if my employer knew I was looking for another job, I said no, and she put down not to contact my current employer. Prospective employers know the reason why people want to mark "no." Some employers get pretty nasty when you start looking for another job. I've seen cases where coworkers leaving got bad schedule changes, were fired for something stupid, or management made up lies when prospective employers called to verify work history. I don't want my current employer knowing I'm looking for another job until I already have another job and put in my two week notice.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,530 times
I have noticed that some current employers honestly see nothing wrong with a person seeking another job.....or so has been my own experience.....

Though I will confess that in the past I have put "NO." myself. Hey, at least I am being honest, heh.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: