Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 42,025 times

Advertisements

Hi... this is probably such a dumb, wimpy question, but we are getting ready to move and currently deciding between a job in Texas (SA) or a job in Virginia. There are a LOT of factors to decide on, and this is NOT a deciding factor, but just something I wanted to know... What do you have there (regularly) in terms of 'creepy crawlies'? Now, we live in Las Vegas right now (after a year and a half in California, but 10 years here) and we get black widows, crickets, and 'water bugs' our bug guy calls them... (they look like giant roaches to me!) but with pest control, have had no problems in the house or garage ever, and since we've had pest control, haven't seen nearly the numbers of widows, still get the 'water bugs' in the bushes around the pool... BUT in certain parts of town, I have friends who have terrible scorpion problems, and once they get them, they never seem to be rid of them. I had a friend have a daughter that was stung, and she was sick for three days. We have three small children, so the idea creeps me out, and worries me. We are looking at a wide swath from about Helotes up around Boerne and to Comal Co., also considering the Stone Oak area (although the traffic sounds like a real treat there!).... this is not going to affect which place we choose to live, but can anyone tell me what 'bugs' (and anything else... snakes??) I'd have to watch for with the kids and if possible, if there are areas more prone to problems than others? (Here, it's in the newer construction areas or further up into the rocky hills) and if anything, other than pest control services, helps to control the problem?... Thanks in advance, Jen

Last edited by jennyclark97; 06-26-2007 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 AM

20 posts, read 60,495 times
Well I hope you choose San Antonio, as your new city Jen...I have lived all over the us being a military bratt, and I have an extreme fear of snakes, and scorpions...we just closed our home in Mar. and have one house between the field they are clearing for the next panel of homes...I think the best solution is a good pest control, after the 1st spray we've had little problems at all, infact our builder has placed a tubes that line the plumbing and exterior walls(you can't see the tubes!) that are designed for the pest control spray...we have a 21mo. baby & keep watch constantly...Have you looked to purchase a home on the New Westside of San Antonio, near Alamo Ranch?...Stone Oak is extemely crowded and Alamo Ranch, will be a hit for years to come...Good Luck and if you need any info. feel free

Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I've lived in San Antonio since June 2001 and have seen one scorpion. It was a little one by the front door and easily killed. I personally didn't enjoy seeing it, but will settle for only one. There are little lizards all over around here, but they are good things as they eat bugs. My wife hates them and always wants me to kill them, but I leave them alone and am glad to watch them gain weight. I've also seen two snakes so far. The first was a little baby gardner (I think) in my flowers by the front door. Not a big snake fan and was glad he decided to move on. The other snake I saw was a rattler. It was actually pretty funny because he was slithering across a street in Westcreek being attacked by a bird. I definitely don't want to see one of them in my yard..
I think the best chance of finding critters you don't want is if you move somewhere that used to be nature a few days/weeks/months ago. a well established area won't have much except the usual flies/beetles/fleas/gnats etc..
BTW, I lived in Norfolk/Virginia Beach for about 6 years and hated roaches. Seems there were a Lot of them there and I don't think I've ever seen one here

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,649 times
We just moved to S.A. from Washington State in mid-may and have had a few encounters with critters already. We have fire ants in the yard ( a common problem in South Texas, apparently) and my husband found a small scorpion crawling on his arm late one night while he was lounging on the floor, watching T.V. We have also found a snakeskin on our front lawn that our neighbor suspects once belonged to a rattlesnake. I've talked to neighbors and other locals and have found out that all of is this to be expected when you move into a newer development with lots of building going on - everything gets stirred up and the critters go on the move for shelter and a cool place to hide. Most people in this area use regular pest control treatments as a precautionary measure and it seems to work for them. We have our first treatment scheduled for tomorrow. I would keep this in mind when you look at the area you decide to move to. Either way, for your own comfort and peace of mind, you might want to look at a regular pest control schedule. It's not too expensive and will make you feel much better - well worth the money. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. As someone who moved here recently, I might be able to offer some feedback/support. Good luck on the move. Sure hope you choose San Antonio! We really love it here!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 PM

85 posts, read 357,085 times
I wouldn't let the creepy crawlies be your deciding factor. Pest control companies have it under control. Also the scorpion here are much smaller than what you get in the desert where you're at. Their sting may hurt like heck but they're not going to do any real damage. All they really do for them here is give you lidocaine jelly and pain killers. The pain usually subsides in 6-8 hours. When we lived in Stone Oak I saw one scorpion and no snakes. Our next door neighbors saw one snake. And we lived one house away from a creek. We had good pest control and they put out scorpion bait. Fire ants are the biggest pain. But they are controllable. Out in the country where we are now at our new home we just built we are dealing with more critters but the pest control people are helping us get a handle on it. I'm sure within 6 months we won't have any problems. Right now we are waiting for the rains to stop so we can finish getting our lawn put in. Once that's done I expect to see a big drop in creepy crawlies.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM

13 posts, read 42,025 times
Thank you for your replies... good to know that they seem controllable...we are all for pest control as we had a total black widow invasion here before we stopped trying to spray ourselves and let a professional do it!

Heard about all the rain you all are having... hope it lets up soon!

We have to decide in a couple of days and are pouring over school/ neighborhood information, so we appreciate the help. Like I said, creepy crawlies aren't our deciding factor, but there are a few that just send me into out-of-body experience, and scorpions are one... ack!!! Thanks! Jen

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 40,865 times
Midorigreen, I am originally from WA and now live in Portland, and I am also looking to move to SA. How has your experience been going from one climate to another? I'm worried about the humidity! Any advice about the differences between the Northwest and SA? I'd appreciate any help!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times
This year is a banner year for humidity! (Pouring rain as I type). We've had one of the wettest (consistant rain) I can remember. I was here during the most recent huge floods (98 and 02).....but this year it has been heavy rain just over and over. Obviously, when it does dry out and get sunny, it's like a steam bath this year. Typically, it's fairly humid, but SA is not as bad as Houston and other areas in the deep South.

Coming from WA, the humidity levels may similar, but the warmer temps in the Summer may make it feel worse. Just know that recent newcomers are currently experiencing unusual circumstances with our weather patterns.

RE: Creepy critters?.....generally areas under construction and development tend to have more scorpions and/or snakes etc.....and other not so disturbing wildlife! Waterbugs are here to stay......but I'm happy with them living outside!

There was another thread a couple months back that had some great information that is worth reading.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:30 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,649 times
In reponse to your question about adjusting to the weather in SA, we haven't found it too hard so far but there has been a lot of rain and not as much heat as normal. My husband and I only lived in WA for about 2 years and are originally from Canada so we're pretty adapable. I think that, as long as you have air conditioniong, you'll manage just fine. One thing I really love about it here is all the sunshine! Even though it's been raining a LOT - there seems to be so much more light in the sky. Very different from the Seattle area. I found the grey, rainy days really tough in the NW! Best of luck on the move! Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'd be happy to try and help!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 46,118 times
Creepy-crawlies are not a major problem in most parts of San Antonio - the new developments outside of 1604 are where you are most likely to find scorpions, spiders, and snakes. As mentioned by other posters there are some really good pest control companies that will keep the creepy crawlers at bay. To be honest I have lived here for almost 15 years, and have only seen a handful of scorpions, and not a single snake...granted I don't go looking for them, and I live in an older part of town...but just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio