Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM

217 posts, read 1,758,374 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a child that is having problems s in and out of school for stealing, trying to smoke illegal drugs etc. what can be done he has not been in jail or anything but his family wants him to get help and go to school and finish very supportative family. What can be done is there anything in san antonio for boys that need to get it right beforehand so they don't end up in the system. Is there a free bootcamp or drughelp for teenage boys. What can be done it shouldn't take something to happen before help is given to them. I am trying to help this family they are really trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
BCFS - BCFS Juvenile Justice (http://www.bcfs.net/netcommunity/page.aspx?pid=824 - broken link) - Call here and see if they can point the family in the right direction. Program is for those that are court ordered but they may know of a place.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM

330 posts, read 587,682 times
You can also try Jewish Family & Children Services. Jewish Family Service | 210-302-6920

I believe they base cost for services off ability to pay.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
You can also do what parents did back in the day.....give the kid a good as*kicking and tell him he is an embarassment to himself and his family. A leather belt with a metal buckle should set him straight. Kids are soft nowadays.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM

311 posts, read 846,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
You can also do what parents did back in the day.....give the kid a good as*kicking and tell him he is an embarassment to himself and his family. A leather belt with a metal buckle should set him straight. Kids are soft nowadays.
There is truth to that, BUT if parents use your suggested method CPS (the so called Child Protetive Service NOT the electric company just to be clear will put the kid in the system anyway

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I agree with this....it is called being a Parent. Being hard on your kids so they will turn out right.

You take away ALL of their posessions, including their bedroom & bathroom doors. No cell phone, internet, tv.
-They get 5 sets of clothes (parents choice) to go to school. They will get the haircut of your choice. They get a bed, a desk to study from.
-THey go to school, come home and study and do their homework
-Once they earn straight A's they earn some "free time", which they can either read the bible or the dictionary.

If they dont like the rules show them the front door and turn your back on them.

Unfortunately, it is probably too late. Every single trouble maker that I knew at that age, grew up to be a professional trouble maker. In and out of prison, on & off drugs, never having a job more than a few weeks and never having their own place.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Try calling 211 or check the United Way website to see if there are any programs that can help.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post
There is truth to that, BUT if parents use your suggested method CPS (the so called Child Protetive Service NOT the electric company just to be clear will put the kid in the system anyway
I am not saying beat the kid to a bloody pulp, but let him know who is boss. Rules are rules whether you like them or not. If you cannot obey them then you are going to learn the hard way. Nowadays these kids get away with murder. When I was younger if I did some of the things these kids do today my dad would've gotten that leather belt and I learned real quick what not to do. Yes sir, No Maam was how we were raised. When is the last time you heard a young person respond with those lately? CPS gets involved when there is a report of abuse. Being tough on kids doesn't warrant a CPS case IMO. Beating a child is another story. Get tough=Problem solved.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM

74 posts, read 175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post

My Pastor use to be a CPS agent and she has given us classes on what we can and can not do. As long as you don't leave a bruise there is nothing they can do so she told us not to use our hands because this can have more force then we think so we were told to use something like a belt or wooden spoon (which we use) with their pants down so that they feel the sting. Of course with him being older this might be harder were it sounds like they didn't start young. We started when my kids were todlers and started telling us no. We make sure we are not angry when we spank and we explain to them after why we spanked them. My kids are older now with my youngest being 7 and they all say yes mam, and never tell us no. At church if they see someone unloading little kids or other things, without being told they just go and help out. People need to not be so scared to discipline they just need to be educated about it

Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
You can't do the above if they're too old (tween or higher). It will absolutely backfire on you. That kind of parenting should be consistent and from the get-go. To the OP, my suggestion is exactly what my father had to make the decision to do when my half-brother (who lived with his mom) decided to start skipping, steal, smoke pot, and Lord knows what else:

The Marine Military Academy, Harlingen, Texas

It absolutely saved his life. He's been on the other side ever since--working as an officer with the Houston Police Department almost 20 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio