Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Any way you can avoid San Antonio altogether? That would be your best bet, IMO.
I don't think that was the question....you may want to read it again.

OP, there is a pretty active Indian community within the SA area. I'm not all that familiar with it, but I can tell you that there is one here that seems to be pretty cohesive from those I know familiar with it. From what I've been able to determine, it appears to be fairly spread out throughout the city, with possibly a bit higher concentrations in North Central and North East SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
There are a lot of Indians in the Medical Center and there are a lot of Indians who live in the Iron Horse Valley Apartments on 410 between Starcrest and Perrin Beitel. The latter area has gone downhill. The housing neighborhood in Windcrest is really nice, but the area right outside of it is kind of bad.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 19,094 times
Thanks for all the info all. I am still reading all the info reg SA. Will see if I can figure things out.

Keep the info coming.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
There was a news article today on San Antonio and India...

Quote:
San Antonians head to India to fight polio

For the past two years, Al and Sherri Muniz have dug deep into their pockets to fly halfway around the world at their own expense as volunteers in the battle to snuff out the last stubborn pockets of polio.

The couple departed San Antonio on Thursday for the third time for dusty and impoverished villages and neighborhoods in Northern India, leading a group of 20 Rotarians and family members — 13 from San Antonio. At each stop they'll place two drops of bivalent oral polio vaccine in the mouths of countless children.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 15,085 times
Hi troymom11,

I would appreciate if you could share your SA experience as we are in the similar boat, pls feel free to send direct message

Thanks

Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,387 times
Hi.

I will be moving to San Antonio, TX next month. I am looking for good apartment where Tamil/Indian community lives. My work location would be in Basse Rd, TX.

Please assist me in finding a better one.

Regards,
Ajay

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM

392 posts, read 749,470 times
I'm not sure about the number of Indians near Basse Road, but I KNOW there are a lot off of Fredericksburg Road on the northwest side, especially around USAA and the Medical Center. I worked with a ton of Indians at my previous job in that area, and that's where lots of them are concentrated, along with some Indian stores and restaurants. You might wanna look around in that area, because they have lots of apartments of varying costs, styles, and sizes. Good luck and welcome to San Antonio!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM

864 posts, read 867,076 times
There are quite a few people from India or of Indian descent here, so you won't be out of place and can easily find others that share your culture. Most are professionals so they can be found spread throughout in the nicer suburbs. Several good Indian restaurants in town.

Windcrest was a nice area 40 years ago but has been in decline since the early eighties. That's part of how Rackspace ended up in the former Windsor mall. I suggest looking at either Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills or someplace inside Loop 1604 and outside Loop 410. From Alamo Heights you can get to your office without having to get on a highway. Inside 1604 and you can take 410 to I-35. Loop 410 is a much easier commute than 1604.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
There were some Indian families living around the base of the hills south of I-10 near Camp Bullis/ Leon Springs.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Yes, the area around USAA has lots of Indian related businesses. I was taken to dinner by a friend from India who said the restaurants were pretty good. He was going to school here.

Around Basse - you do have Whole Foods and Central Market that has an international selection of foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio