Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Cracker Barrel is being completed on SE Military Drive near Goliad Rd. Texas Roadhouse is coming near the hospital (saves us a long drive) I believe as well as a new indoor theater. Only info I have at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Is that going to be a Cracker Barrel in front of the HEB? Where did you get the info on the theater and Texas Roadhouse?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Yes...more info. on the theater as well please! There is the Cinemark at McCreless; will there be more competition on its way?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Is that going to be a Cracker Barrel in front of the HEB? Where did you get the info on the theater and Texas Roadhouse?
Yep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yes...more info. on the theater as well please! There is the Cinemark at McCreless; will there be more competition on its way?
I really don't know more yet! My daughter spoke to those handling the leasing I believe. I like the Cinemark at McCreless but they don't need competition. They're pretty empty every time I've gone. Hope they don't close it. If i find out more I'll post it. New Braunfels is now open into the Base.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 PM

Correction to my opening post, The new Texas Roadhouse will be in City-Base West. As I understand, on or near the corner of the lot at New Braunfels and S.E Military DR. The new theater I assume in same area.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 14,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Correction to my opening post, The new Texas Roadhouse will be in City-Base West. As I understand, on or near the corner of the lot at New Braunfels and S.E Military DR. The new theater I assume in same area.
Can you pass on any additional info, i.e. what big box retailers are coming in, other restaurants (besides Texas Roadhouse & Cracker Barrel), the name of the theater chain building there, # of screens and can you tell whether or not the new area will be on the scale (size wise) of say, Alamo Ranch (1604/sea world area)? I live at SE Military/Fairlawn, is why I'm curious. Thx

Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 14,254 times
Nevermind, did a Google.

Sequel to City Base Landing is in motion
City Base West expected to feature theater anchor

Premium content from San Antonio Business Journal - by Tricia Lynn Silva

Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 5:00am CDT

Adam Schiller, partner in GFR Development, says the planned City Base West is already reeling in a new wave of retail activity for the South Side.

Mark Granados, the developer behind several major shopping centers in San Antonio, has launched his latest project, called City Base West, which will add some 250,000 square feet of retail space to the market once fully developed.

Phase one of that project, involving a total of 120,000 square feet, is under construction now. The new retail center will be located in Southeast San Antonio at Southeast Military Drive and South New Braunfels Avenue.
Granados’ project joins what is a very short list of ground-up speculative retail projects now in motion in the city.
And at 120,000 square feet for phase one alone, City Base West represents a major push forward in the retail-market recovery in San Antonio, local real estate professionals say.
“The timing is right,” Granados says. “If we waited to get under construction when the market shifted, it would be three years from now before we had any space. We’ve got the competitive edge now.”
City Base West is a sequel of sorts to a prior Granados production: City Base Landing, a retail center that boasts more than half a million square feet of space and is located on the grounds of Brooks City-Base — a former military base that has been converted into a modern business park. City Base West will be located on the other side of Southeast Military, across from City Base Landing.
To date, about 50 percent of City Base West’s phase one is pre-leased, says Granados, who is developing the center under the venture he formed about two years ago, called GFR Development Services LLC.
The new retail center will feature some sit-down restaurants — including new outlets for Texas Roadhouse and Zios Italian Kitchen.
Also premiering at City Base West will be a 10-screen, all-digital theater, says Granados. Although he declined to divulge the operator for the movie house at this time, he does say the new City Base West theater will mark the operator’s fourth venue in Texas — and first theater in San Antonio.
The theater is slated to open in early 2012, adds Adam Schiller, Granados’ partner in GFR Development. The rest of the tenants in phase one are looking to get up and running by November or December of this year.
Leading the way

Besides City Base West, there are two other sizable development projects under way in Northwest San Antonio — both mixed-use projects that will include retail: Dominion Ridge and éilan.
Phase one of Dominion Ridge calls for 50,000 square feet of retail space — including a new CVS Pharmacy and a Chase Bank branch. A total of 60,000 square feet of space is planned for the retail portion of éilan.
With its size, however, City Base West is one of those developments that is “definitely leading the (retail) recovery cycle,” says Kim Gatley, senior vice president and director of research for local real estate firm NAI REOC San Antonio.
Granados went into the recession “with this project in his pocket,” Gatley adds. “Now his hard work is about to pay off. He’s leading the front end of what’s been a very lean couple of years in terms of new construction.”
Drought or deluge

Even now, the local retail market, says Granados, is “still a long way from anything you’d consider a normal market.”
“It’s still a struggle to generate momentum,” he adds. “There are as many tenants closing as there are signing new leases.”
Several other forces are now coming together that work in City Base West’s favor. Those include several developments at nearby Brooks City-Base — such as the new Mission Trail Baptist Hospital that is set to open this June; and new tenants such as VMC Inc., a national high-tech consulting and outsourcing firm.
Little by little, a new wave of demand has been building for more retail space in the area. It was that demand that ultimately prompted Schiller and Granados to move ahead with City Base West — with full recognition that the retail market still has a long recovery road ahead of it.
“We’ve survived the storm, (but) we may be starting a real long walk in the desert,” Granados observes. “But at some point, the engine has to crank up again.”
For business leaders like Don Jakeway, the cranking up of that engine is good news.
“Whatever (GFR does) there is of great benefit to us — and what we do is of benefit to (City Base West),” says Jakeway, who is the president and CEO of the Brooks Development Authority — the entity that is charged with elevating Brooks City-Base into a first-class research and technology park.
Jakeway can remember when retail services for Brooks City-Base amounted to little more than a gas station and a small grocery store.
Five years later, projects like City Base Landing have helped to transform the area — including creating a more dynamic market for Brooks City-Base officials to show off to potential tenants, Jakeway says.
Thinking over the strides made in the area, Jakeway poses this final question about Brooks City-Base and its potential for future success: “Could we be sitting anywhere more perfect?”

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,823 times
I'm so glad that the S. E Side of San Antonio is getting some much needed attention. My only concern is that anything that is built on this side of town turns out trashy in just a few short years.....You go on the north side the same businesses that have been open years are super clean and the area is clean...the grass is always watered etc....they build businesses on this side of town cheaply made......I wish we could enjoy all the businesses. I still drive across town to shop...The people are different on the northside....The people on the S. E side have gotten trashy and do not take care of things.....Why stores have to be so dirty and trashy I do not know....I was born and raised on the S.E side and remember McCreless Mall...the new HEB Plus is a joke....it is so dirty and always playing mexican music...I'm not prejusticed at all..But if i wanted to listen to mexican music I would move to Mexico. People just don't take pride in anything any more...I guess this is what happnens now that San Antonio is playing with the big boys now. San Antonio has lost it's charm.....Just my opinion!!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Rather than run from it, DEMAND that the store clean up, write the corporate headquarters, etc. - as long as you let 'em get away with it, they will. Hold their feet to the fire and tell 'em to show some pride!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraybert View Post
McCreless Mall...the new HEB Plus is a joke....it is so dirty and always playing mexican music...
Really? Maybe we're going at different times? I worked nearby for the last 5 years (I just switched jobs 2 weeks ago) and went to this HEB location during lunch time to get some needed items and I didn't hear any Mexican music or saw any uncleanliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio