Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,333,202 times

Advertisements

Tone - you have some negative animus going that isn't in touch with SA reality. Chill.

I'm from two major Northern cities. If you have good jobs here and are laid back, you will do fine. The multicultural thing is no problem here. Unless you flip out because you can't find the perfect NE delicacy here, it's a good place to live.

I do know NE folks who are basically NE wussies and can't adjust to finding TX things to do. Can't adapt. Tough.

Crime - urban NYC is much worse than the nice areas of SA. DC is the same. Near the White House can be an urban horror. So folks live NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCityTrill View Post
Aside from a select few communities, such as Alamo Heights, King William, Monte Vista, Stone Oak, Alamo Ranch, Sonoma Rach, Helotes, Dominion, Churchill Estates, Schertz, Cibolo, and Cibolo Canyon areas the rest of the city is very, very poor and comparable in crime rates and income to a third world country.
If you're already going into the return with negative feelings than you're move back is going to be negative as well. Why ask for advice if you're going to just feel the same way you did in '97? Although the city does have poor areas (as do all large cities) many areas have under gone revitalization since your move.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM

186 posts, read 345,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCUDentist View Post
I am also relocating from the DC area (live in NOVA but go to school in Richmond) at the end of May. Any advice would be appreciated.
The wife and I are VCU/MCV alumni here in SA...you can DM me if you like.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,300,813 times
Quote:
San Antonio as a whole is very poor and those who pretend otherwise are living nothing more than pipe dreams.
what a buzzkillington

Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,137,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
If you're already going into the return with negative feelings than you're move back is going to be negative as well. Why ask for advice if you're going to just feel the same way you did in '97? Although the city does have poor areas (as do all large cities) many areas have under gone revitalization since your move.
I believe ToneCity and the OP are two different posters.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM

149 posts, read 434,680 times
After visiting the DC area for last spring, I can see why you'd be in for a bit of a culture shock. However, San Antonio is a wonderful city! I can't imagine trying to raise a family in the DC area. It would be fun as a single person, but I would never want to raise kids there. One of the biggest things that I found to be different was that in DC (proper, I don't know about VA) everything was within walking distance. You pretty much have to drive everywhere here. Communities are not set up for walking here.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
what a buzzkillington
Buzzkillngton. *Looking up word in SA's dictionary*
Ok, I found it.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM

149 posts, read 434,680 times
Quote:
You will be in for a major culture shock.

San Antonio is more like Mexico than the United States of America.

There are so many unwritten codes of the land so to speak that you will need to learn in order to enjoy it here.

What planet are you from, because you certainly aren't living here....

Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I believe ToneCity and the OP are two different posters.
Oh shoot. Still. Do your research before saying it's a poor city.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Oh shoot. Still. Do your research before saying it's a poor city.
Had too much eggnog, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio