Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 AM

62 posts, read 105,309 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We purchased an older home (built in the 30s) that had some foundation work done in the past. It's a pier and beam foundation and a couple piers have been replaced, etc. Anyway, we're having pretty big problems with the chimney (it's pulling away from the house) - so much so that it's impacting the structure of the house.

We were going to install concrete piers under the chimney but it appears that's already been done 10 years or so ago. One option is to simply tear the chimney down - maybe rebuild later, maybe not. Has anyone just simply taken the chimney down? I'm not sure if we'll rebuild a masonry chimney - perhaps another kind. The contractor mentioned some sort of insert with a metal pipe that functions as a chimney (clearly I have no idea what he's talking about! ).

Just wanted to see if anyone's 1) taken down a chimney, and/or 2) replaced the masonry with what he might be talking about and what your experience has been...

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM

437 posts, read 902,861 times
I wouldn't take the chimney down completely for several reasons. One of them is that if you ever want to sell your house, buyers will want it to be as original as possible. Is your house level or does it slope in one or more places? I'm not sure taking the chimney down would solve your problem; I sell a lot of houses on pier and beam built before the 30's and even those that don't have fireplaces do have foundation issues. The piers sink into the soil over time and take the whole house with them. You could take the chimney down and still have problems. My advice is: before you make a decision on the chimney, find a reputable foundation repair company and have them come to take a look at what you're dealing with.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
I would suggest a structual engineer(not an inspector) and go from there. Might be a little costly, but if you plan on staying, well worth it

Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM

107 posts, read 277,607 times
chimneys have a bad habit of pulling away from the structure here in town if they are not anchored to the building properly. if it is structurally and financially feasible to save the chimney, after you have it leveled, have someone tie the chimney into the structure. there are metal braces that go from the back side of the brick through the mortar and are secured to the house itself. you would have to remove some mortar and have it repointed, but if any mortar cracked or bricks broke in the settling you would anyway.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
You need to speak to a structural engineer first and foremost. For the chimney, keep in mind that if you're taking it down, you've got a large area on the back side of the house that needs to be repaired, which MAY cost as much as fixing the chimney, if not more. I'd see what you can do to keep your chimney. Make sure it's done professionally too though. You may have to redo the mortar and ensure that your chimney isn't a fire hazard.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM

62 posts, read 105,309 times
Thanks everyone for your replies - we really appreciate it since these soil issues are new to us. The soil was clay where we were before so there was very little, if any, movement. A few more details:

- the company we're working with is actually a foundation repair company that is reputable (or at least I think they are?) based on our research
- there are already concrete piers under the chimney and they are in good shape. installing new piers wouldn't do any good
- the chimney is braced to the roof and hasn't done much to stop the movement

We'd love to save the chimney if we could; we'd like to keep the house as original as possible in that respect and aren't relishing the thought of losing it.

Talking to a structural engineer is great advice, as I'm not certain the guy we're talking to is one (though I can't be sure on that). If anyone has a good structural engineer they can recommend, I'd welcome it (you can send me a DM if you like).

thanks again - really appreciate your advice and guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio