Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

Yep, I work in an environment like that and could easily be fired for bringing in a cell phone. They don't have to warn me or anything. The rules are clear and the consequences are known. This fool just needs to grow some personal responsibility..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I agree that the celllphones shouldn't be permanently confiscated, but I do think that a teacher should have every right to collect ALL cellphones at the beginning of class, or to have a rule that all cellphones stay put away during class.
We started doing the policy of having "the box" at the front of the classroom for students to place their cell phones when class begins because students would text under their desk and not give the instructor their complete attention. The students pick up their cell phones after class is over. We even have it in our student handbook and if parents have a true emergency, they can always call our program phone which is always answered by staff. We did try to have the students put away their cell phones during class but still sneaked around it in other ways, getting a pencil from their backpack, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
My freshman has had a cell phone and has been taking it to school since 6th grade...

Her father and I thought it was necessary since I did parent pick up in middle school and there were times when our daughter was not always able to meet me at the designated pick up spot... Also, if I was going to be late in picking her up for any reason, I was able to get in touch with her...

With all this being said our daughter has never had her phone taken away... She knows that it is to remain off and in her purse or backpack at all times during school hours... She only turns it on when school is dismissed for the day...

We have found her cell phone to come in handy after school on many occasions, especially when she started taking the bus, when the bus has broken down, when she has missed the bus, when she is asking permission to stay after school for something, when she needs to make up a test after school, when color guard practice was running early or late, when she accidentally got on the wrong bus coming home (mom's heart attack moment when she didn't get off the bus)...

I don't think kids taking cell phones to school is a bad thing at all, as long as they are responsible enough...

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

and as long as the school rules allow it. I don't question the children's need for a phone. It's one of those new things we literally can't live without anymore and an extra line is pretty cheap. My only beef was with the parent that doesn't seem to understand the rules and/or can't get his kid to follow the rules. The child will unfortunately most likely end up being just as irresponsible as the parent. Stupid is as stupid's taught to do..

Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
and as long as the school rules allow it. I don't question the children's need for a phone. It's one of those new things we literally can't live without anymore and an extra line is pretty cheap. My only beef was with the parent that doesn't seem to understand the rules and/or can't get his kid to follow the rules. The child will unfortunately most likely end up being just as irresponsible as the parent. Stupid is as stupid's taught to do..
HEY RD!!! Welcome back... I miss seeing you around...

I totally agree with you... If the kid was already warned of the phone 1 time and now again with harsher results, well then, she is obviously not responsible enough to handle having a phone in school... too much temptation for her...

Our daughter knows if she needs to call me during school hours, she uses the classroom or school phone, not her cell phone...

The article says that the daughter was calling her father and a teacher took the phone away, well, she deserved having it taken away... The daughter should have asked to use a school phone to make her call during school hours...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
I hate cellphones! Well not really, just the fact that people feel the need to have it attached to them. I personally have a cell phone jammer in my office so my employees can do there job and not txt all day..
emergency really? Back in the day you just call up the school and let them know whats up..and after school hours, well my parents always knew where I was so there was no need for a cell...

and if you cant teach your kid to follow rules deal with the issues at hand homie don't cry about it. Geez

Old 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM

It's usually extremely illegal to jam any RF signal. Might want to be careful with that one...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
lol yeah..its a neat toy...I blame our building for being in the corner thats why we have such poor signal..Unless you guys rat me out!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
Policy at my campus is kids can have phones. They need to be turned off and out of sight. If confiscated, we call the parents and the parent has to come pick up the phone. But they do get the phone back. Theory behind this is the parent will then impress upon their little angle to not take their phone out in class and lose privelages.

There is no reason for a child to have it out in class. Period. Leave it in their locker or backpack, some do...most don't.

I used to work at the school that is mentioned in the article.
Admin was always fair and honest and provided students with many chances. If it is NEISD's policy to confiscate and hold then that parent was provided with that policy at the beginning of the school year. So was the student. And both would have signed the form stating that they read the policy and agreed to it.

Time to just be held accountable for our actions.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I love the brilliant ones featured in stories like this. Second offense, so you know they knew what they were doing and yet they still allow their name to be featured in a story. It would be easier to just walk around with a shirt that says "I'm an idiot". Freaking idiots..

Exactly. And I am certain during the first conference someone was notified that there was X consequence should it happen again.

What a waste of a news story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio