Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times

Advertisements

Okay....ya'll sit back, because my take on this will likely shock ya.

Background: My wife just retired this past school year after 29 years of teaching. It's no longer teaching - it's baby-sitting, trying to keep a modicum of control over a classroom inhabited by kids of all differing mental abilities - which generally means that the lower-performing ones get all the attention while the brighter ones sit "idling" academically....which means they're bored - which means they start acting out. I digress - but parents, this "inclusion" is destroying the overall academics of the school system.

Back to the subject at hand.....the teacher was W R O N G. Period. NO excuse. I have no doubt that the student in question finally snapped her last frayed nerve - but she IS an adult and a professional teacher who committed assault. I do NOT think she deserves to lose her retirement over this - but she should be gone and placed into retirement. If she chooses to fight that, then she does so at peril of losing her retirement.

Most of you know I'm strong on discipline - but that's not what this was. Had she rapped him over the knuckles with it, I'd be okay with that (not slammed hard, just a "Your Attention, PLEASE!!" type rap) - but that flying object could have hit another student - possibly in the eye or mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
There are a lot of things that Teachers used to be able to do to keep kids in line back in the day that are not acceptable now.

None of us here were in that classroom to see what the kid did that made her so upset to throw 30 years of her career down the drain but I suspect that whatever it was, the kid was clearly misbehaving and needed to be dealt with in a manner consistent with the current rules of the school.

I feel bad for the teacher because she was probably very close to retirement and will not get her pension if she is fired over this.

Why not? Pension is a vested right.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
What sucks is that a drumstick is dangerous object to throw. My dad is a music teacher and he has witnessed kids getting their eyes damaged from thrown drumsticks, especially when they break apart from striking an object (drum, wall, etc).

Anyways, this thread needs the resident sheriff (RD2007) to make a final comment about this story. At that point, we all should be content and in agreement.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
There should be no excuses for this teachers veerry poor judgement, what do you think would have happened if the KID had thrown the drumstick, and hit the teacher in the face.If this teacher can't handle the stress and frustrations of the children around her, it's time to quit!!!, never mind the pension.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why not? Pension is a vested right.
Maybe so. Perhaps another teacher can clarify if she will lose it or not.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay....ya'll sit back, because my take on this will likely shock ya.

Background: My wife just retired this past school year after 29 years of teaching. It's no longer teaching - it's baby-sitting, trying to keep a modicum of control over a classroom inhabited by kids of all differing mental abilities - which generally means that the lower-performing ones get all the attention while the brighter ones sit "idling" academically....which means they're bored - which means they start acting out. I digress - but parents, this "inclusion" is destroying the overall academics of the school system.

Back to the subject at hand.....the teacher was W R O N G. Period. NO excuse. I have no doubt that the student in question finally snapped her last frayed nerve - but she IS an adult and a professional teacher who committed assault. I do NOT think she deserves to lose her retirement over this - but she should be gone and placed into retirement. If she chooses to fight that, then she does so at peril of losing her retirement.

Most of you know I'm strong on discipline - but that's not what this was. Had she rapped him over the knuckles with it, I'd be okay with that (not slammed hard, just a "Your Attention, PLEASE!!" type rap) - but that flying object could have hit another student - possibly in the eye or mouth.

I agree.

But in my heart of hearts I feel so very sorry for the teacher.

As a parent I am not sure I would file charges until a full investigation was held.

If and only if my child were innocent (which I am thinking is not the case) would I file charges.

But I would ask that the teacher be removed because I believe her time has come.

Very sad way to end a career. I am sorry for this teacher.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Maybe so. Perhaps another teacher can clarify if she will lose it or not.
This is as close as I could find (from the TRS handbook):

Termination of Employment Before Retirement
Termination occurs no earlier than your official resignation date and after
you have ceased all employment with all TRS-covered employers. You must
follow your employer’s guidelines for giving notice of resignation. For early 40
age retirement purposes, employment does not terminate if you are on paid
or unpaid leave or if you have a contract for any type of future employment
with a TRS-covered employer. For normal-age retirement purposes, employment does not terminate if you are on paid or unpaid leave or if you have a
contract for future full-time employment. See “Negotiation for Return to Employment” below for more information.
A limited exception to the requirement that you must terminate employment is available for May 31 retirees. If you must work into the month of
June to complete work required for the school year, you may establish a May
31 retirement date provided you terminate your employment no later than
June 15. You must also file your retirement application no later than July 31.

I realize this is mainly referring to "voluntary' termination.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times
You ask what would happen to the child if the child threw the drumstick....

Possibly nothing. Maybe three days of in school suspension, maybe 30 days at alternative school or absolutely nothing depending on the student and students abilities as well as if the teacher even pressed charges.

I have been at schools in the past where I have had furniture thrown at me, punched, pushed, bit, whatever and nothing was done.

Again I do not condone throwing the drumstick and I think either way the teacher needs to retire. But since someone asked what would happen if the student threw it..........

Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Why might you be laid off?
NEISD is in the process of laying off large numbers of teachers. I'm not surprised AT ALL to hear that a music teacher is on the list.

Hope it doesn't happen. Singing in the choir and playing in the band were what made school bearable for me most days. I'm sure many felt the same way about all the arts. It's a crying shame that the arts aren't seen as important these days.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,526 times
While in high school band many years ago, the director threw his baton at the drum section and walked out of the room. I think someone else said this happened to them. Wonder if we had the same teacher? A drumstick is not good. Baton not too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio