Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about going over memorial day weekend. Where is the best/cheapest place to put in for an entire day floating? Beer is still okay outside the state park, correct? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 AM

208 posts, read 382,975 times
can't imagine the speed of the river flow after all this rain . ever tube the san marcos ? put in at the college (up at old peppers restaurant for free . (beer/beverages allowed in can only) .

pick up a good tube at any academy for under $20 (avoid the black river rats as they'll scorch you under even short exposure to sun, choose the white river run) .

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times
Floated the San Marcos before. I'm working on a giant ranch in south texas right now, so I'm much closer to the Frio than the Guadalupe, Comal, or San Marcos. River should be in good shape with the recent rain.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM

288 posts, read 926,871 times
I have tubed the Frio every summer for 30 years! My family, about 40 of us, stay at Frio Country Resort, and you can also put it for the day right there. If you don't have two vehicles, you will need to put in at a place where they will drop you off or pick you up. I wouldn't base where I put on on the price, but rather where the next swimming hole is that you can get out to a parked vehicle. I would recommend either:
Seven Bluffs to Frio Country: 3 hours with decent flow
Seven Bluffs to Neals: 4.5-5 hours with decent flow

Those are my best estimates on the times. We haven't floated in a couple of years bc it's too low. We all just sit in the deepest hole we can find. The last time it flooded, in 2009 maybe, we did Seven Bluffs to Frio Country in 1.5 hours after the water went down some. I know you can park at Frio Country for a nominal fee, and I believe Neal's does the drop-off thing. Seven Bluffs charges to park, and I remember it being too high last year. Check out funrivers.com for info on swimming holes.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM

208 posts, read 382,975 times
i'm starting to think about tubing the frio . live on the north west side now so a trip to san marcos is going to be longer anyways plus san marcos is a short float and i seriously am considering not going anymore given how filthy the ''end point (rio vista park)'' has gotten . you literally can feel the temp rise as you get nearer the park . and it's starting to really reek like a ymca pool locker room .

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,050,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
Seven Bluffs to Frio Country: 3 hours with decent flow
Seven Bluffs to Neals: 4.5-5 hours with decent flow
Only thing I can add to these greats posts is REMEMBER THE SUNCREEN, you'll need it. I've seen some well-cooked people coming off some of the rivers on the weekends.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM

288 posts, read 926,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Only thing I can add to these greats posts is REMEMBER THE SUNCREEN, you'll need it. I've seen some well-cooked people coming off some of the rivers on the weekends.
You must have been looking at my family! A bunch of honky lobsters! And proud of it!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,928 times
Guadalupe river off 281 is a pleasant 2-3 hour journey. Don't remember prices. It's tubing time again soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio