Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM

24 posts, read 58,602 times

Advertisements

Hey there folks...my wife and I are relocating to San Antonio. She was awarded a full fellowship to a Ph.D program at UTSA so we are leaving Nashvegas behind for a while. I have read hundreds of threads on here trying to get a feel for the city (which is difficult to do from subjective posts about a place I've never been). But every little bit helps.

We will be looking for an apartment/condo near UTSA and have been doing quite a bit of research online about different complexes. Rarely is safety of a surrounding area mentioned on reviews of complexes. Here's my major concern, I am a touring musician and will be on the road quite a bit. So my number one consideration for home choice is my beautiful wife's safety. Are there any areas of NW San Antonio to absolutely avoid? Price isn't really a major issue, we would prefer a more affluent area (not that we're rich, but God has provided more than we deserve...even with my wife leaving her career to go back to school). With as short of a commute as possible for her (when I'm not on the road I, teach online so commute isn't an issue for me).

Thanks so much! We are really excited about heading west for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
There's a poster named Firstclassflyer that'll post a message saying they hate San Antonio, but I just figured I'd beat him to the punch. He lived here three years, yada, yada, yada. He's in California now and happy. There. Done.

NOW we can get on to useful responses. You'll like it here. Check out a sticky on the top of the page that'll give you lots of good info.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
My oldest girl lives in Knoxville and I'll assume Nashville is close to being the same. You'll find the folks here as friendly as they are in Tenn. The climate is drier and hotter and it's a rare occurrence for us to get snow. The City just closes up at the first flake. The area around UTSA is a nice area. I don't have a clue what you want to spend on a house but if $250,000 is in yer range, look to Whitestone Homes. They have a website. They are a San Antonio Premier builder and are very obliging. Traffic in that area is growing and crowed despite having acres of expressway. If you can find a gated community that fits into your financial range, the better. I'm not a fan of SAPD and have found them to be incredibly incompetent which is why I closed my business in town. The grocery stores here are primarily HEB which is owned and operated by the Butt family. There are also Target and Walmarts with groceries around. I would assume that the night life here is lacking versus Nashville. The Riverwalk is the main attraction for tourists and most will stay around the downtown area. I have no connections in the music industry here for you- sorry, but you should be able to do good. In the UTSA area is the La Cantera Mall. It's a very nice outside type mall with most of the major players there. While San Antonio is not heaven, it's probably as close you'll get and still breathe. Enjoy the stay.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning_towalk View Post
We will be looking for an apartment/condo near UTSA and have been doing quite a bit of research online about different complexes.
Congrats on your wife being accepted into the program!
I would see if your wife can get in touch with current grad students at UTSA through a club focusing on your wife's major so she can meet folks that may be able to recommend some housing for a grad student nearby.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
Agree w Kev re responses.

I'm still learning about the city myself. But hopefully learning_towalk will come across more of the useful responses than the angry/nonproductive ones. (Perhaps citydata should create a general "angry" forum for people to use because honestly I've already reached the point where I tire of name-calling, stereotyping etc, I've just learned to hit ignore. Thank you for this feature citydata.)

GOOD LUCK learning_towalk!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 PM

24 posts, read 58,602 times
Thanks for the tips guys...we are looking to rent for right now and will indeed send out some emails to other grad students.

Speaking of music...how is the local music scene in San Antonio? Any good music venues that aren't arenas? I know Austin is the "New Music City" but am interested if there's a budding indie scene or Americana scene in SA like there is in Austin...I've become too used to Nashville having 4-5 music venues on every corner ha ha ha.

Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning_towalk View Post
Hey there folks...my wife and I are relocating to San Antonio. She was awarded a full fellowship to a Ph.D program at UTSA so we are leaving Nashvegas behind for a while. I have read hundreds of threads on here trying to get a feel for the city (which is difficult to do from subjective posts about a place I've never been). But every little bit helps.

We will be looking for an apartment/condo near UTSA and have been doing quite a bit of research online about different complexes. Rarely is safety of a surrounding area mentioned on reviews of complexes. Here's my major concern, I am a touring musician and will be on the road quite a bit. So my number one consideration for home choice is my beautiful wife's safety. Are there any areas of NW San Antonio to absolutely avoid? Price isn't really a major issue, we would prefer a more affluent area (not that we're rich, but God has provided more than we deserve...even with my wife leaving her career to go back to school). With as short of a commute as possible for her (when I'm not on the road I, teach online so commute isn't an issue for me).

Thanks so much! We are really excited about heading west for a few years.
I'm sorry that you're having to move to that s-hole. Unfortunately, we lived there for almost 3 years. I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'm sorry that you're having to move to that s-hole. Unfortunately, we lived there for almost 3 years. I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio.
See? Told you...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
But look, he changed his reply slightly by adding profanity!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
I teach at UTSA in a program with grad students. Maybe your wife is coming to our department--either way, send her a congratulations from me!

Many grad students end up living by UTSA because they want to be close to school, but very few end up loving the area. More and more figure out that it's much more fulfilling to live just north or just south of downtown: Tobin Hill, Monte Vista, River North, Southtown, Lavaca, etc. The commute isn't bad at all, and there's even an express bus that runs from downtown to the main campus (and it's free for students). I also know students who rent in Alamo Heights and like it.

The music scene in San Antonio is small but cozy. There's both indie and Americana. For the latter, most of the shows that I know about occur at The Cove, San Antone Cafe (formerly Casbeers), or maybe even Sam's Burger Joint, although there could be shows in that style anywhere. The indie scene is focused on venues like The Limelight, 1011, The Korova, and a few other odds and ends (e.g., The Mix, Saluté, Boneshakers, Pedicab Bar, etc.). It is true, however, that Austin has many more bands and venues. But it's not much more than an hour away, so it's easy to reach.

As I said, I'd seriously consider moving close to downtown. It's the part of town that makes San Antonio special, and for the "young and alternative," it's the place to be (although it's still really, really chill--not much in the way of hustle, bustle, or hipster attitude in this city, and that's often a good thing).

PS--My girlfriend lives and works in Austin, and she's from Nashville, and she loves San Antonio--so that's a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio