Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could tell me what San Antonio School districts are hiring and which are concidered the higher perfroming schools? I am hoping to move to San Antonio this summer from Ohio and am praying and hoping to get a job before hand. I've applied to just about every school district and have only had word come back from Harlandale ISD and San Antonio ISD. Although I'm thankful that they appear interested, I am also a little unsure about the districts since I am coming from a Public School District in Ohio that includes a large population of Amish families. Therefore that change from rural to inner city is a tad frightening. Any ideas on school districts or even private christian schools that are hiring Elementary teachers would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Without trying to be a jerk....I'd suggest spell/grammar check before sending anything.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Education funding is being cut all over the country, and San Antonio is no different. Still, if you had a response from two districts than I would suggest following-up with them as it is an indication that the others are not hiring or are not interested in your qualifications at the moment.

San Antonio ISD serves the downtown and inner city areas of San Antonio, as well as asmall portion of the city of Balcones Heights. It is the third largest school district in the Bexar County area, with over 55,000 students. Students are required to wear uniforms, white collared shirts and khaki bottoms or polo shirts with their schools' colors.

While rated "academically acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency in 2009, it was downgraded to "academically unacceptable" in 2010.

So it appears to be a "challenged" district. Now, whether you are up for that "challenge" is a decision you will have to make. I can tell you it will be drastically different than teaching Amish children!

But given that it and Harland are the only two ISDs that responded to your applications, that should give you a good idea of the teacher situation here. I know several teachers who say it's really tight at the moment...

Good luck! M2

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Without trying to be a jerk....I'd suggest spell/grammar check before sending anything.
+1
Not sure if I'd want someone who can't spell to be "teaching" kids...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
I used to teach in a school district with Amish families when I was living in central Illinois and I will tell you, you are in for a massive culture shock when you get here and start teaching in those two districts you mentioned. Then again I am amazed that any job opening exists at all in Texas. Everyone's firing and no one's hiring it seems.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
+1
Not sure if I'd want someone who can't spell to be "teaching" kids...
Growing up, I was able to spell better than almost all of my teachers. I've exchanged emails with teachers and assistant principals in my kids' schools which, more often than not, had a spelling and/or grammar mistake or two. Of course, most of them aren't teaching spelling and grammar, so this doesn't particularly bother me.

Flawless spelling and grammar ain't a prerequisite for a career in that field.

Last edited by Bo; 05-11-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo... not a spelling mistake. ;)

Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,063 times
Default Teaching Jobs

Most public school districts in the area are in the middle of a hiring freeze. Many are laying positions off and trying to cut their employment to save money. This is pretty much the situation throughout the entire state due to the massive education budget shortage. Do not move here thinking you will easily find a teaching job.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM

97 posts, read 340,802 times
Not to go completely off subject and I'm sure it was an honest error in the mis-spelling...

I can't tell you how absolutely floored I was when I had a concern with my daughter's High School English teacher about entering in her grades extremely late in the game. I had emailed my concerns, only to receive a totally incomprehensible, grammatically incorrect note from her teacher. I kept that email as a reminder to my daughter how important a higher level education is. Call me crazy...but if you are an English teacher, I would hope you know how to spell and use grammar!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
Hi I am planning to move to San Antonio area, would I make a good living with a salary of about $3500°° a month I only have a 12 years old child and my wife. We are are not the kind of people who buy everything they see, we like to keep some savings. Would I find a rent of about 700 a month in a regular neighborhood?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Two words:

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio