Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Here's some stats from from 2006 that compare San Antonio to "peer metros" (Souce: 2006 American Community Survey, Census Bureau.
Who you surround yourself with is anecdotal evidence and isn't necessarily related at all to the educational attainment of the city overall.
Thanks for the stats. That's about what I expected but wasn't sure...I'll be curious to see some more recent stats when they're available.

I used to be one who argued this city was less educated/blue collar, but then I realized that, while true, for someone educated coming here, there's a good chance the people they meet and interact with will be at least as educated as them. Not trying to serve up anecdotes, but am suggesting that if your concern is meeting other "educated" people in San Antonio, there's a good chance you will (and by "educated" I don't just mean degrees, but well travelled/experienced in the world outside San Antonio).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Thanks for the stats. That's about what I expected but wasn't sure...I'll be curious to see some more recent stats when they're available.
Yeah there might even already be more up to date things available from the 2010 census, but I was too lazy to dig for it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I used to be one who argued this city was less educated/blue collar, but then I realized that, while true, for someone educated coming here, there's a good chance the people they meet and interact with will be at least as educated as them. Not trying to serve up anecdotes, but am suggesting that if your concern is meeting other "educated" people in San Antonio, there's a good chance you will (and by "educated" I don't just mean degrees, but well travelled/experienced in the world outside San Antonio).
That's true. If you're educated, you will most likely work with other educated people and perhaps live in an area where other educated people are. But that is different than being in a city with a higher educational rate overall.

In SA, if you go out anywhere to meet NEW people, you're going to have a harder time running into others that have a college degree than in other cities. Whether that matters to people or not is completely up to them, but it's definitely relevant for someone who says they'd like to go out to bars now and again and is looking to settle down. Most people would like to settle down with someone in the same educational category as they are. And if you have a college degree, it's just a bit harder in SA, that's all.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Well, judging by your grammar, I can tell you certainly are educated.

And yes, thanks for reminding me, I need to run the dishwasher.
I think you missed the joke. Reread what you wrote in post #13.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 AM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times
All my friends and family have their MSN BSN MBAs even some with their PHd. Love the gereralization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio