Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
My family used to be big into CB radios back in the 70s. Back then CBs used to be like the internet is today, as far as popularity goes. Flash forward to about 3 years ago. We were taking a road trip down to Orlando to go to Disney World. I bought a CB radio and put it in my van for the trip. I was really surprised by a couple of things. First there was practically no one, but what seemed to be truckers, talking on the CB. Second, people were using foul language on the air, which was a big no no back in "the day".
I used to have all my stuff hooked up in Killeen from the 70s till mid 80s untill I went overseas. Base station, mobile radio, echo box. It was like having company over without them being there cause we all knew each other. Some of them I talked to often but never met face to face. Recently I found someone on craigslist looking for old CB stuff. He looked to be in his early 20s and very knowledgeable about CBs but I don't know what he thought he could buy from me with only $10 so I kept my stuff. Thinking of hooking it all back up for old times sake..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

358 posts, read 577,764 times
They actually becamed available back in the 60s. My uncle had several old licenses which started with KEG, KEH and KKV. I guess no one bothers with a license these days.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
They actually becamed available back in the 60s. My uncle had several old licenses which started with KEG, KEH and KKV. I guess no one bothers with a license these days.
I think maybe the requirement to have a license to operate a CB (not Ham) radio was done away with. I remember when growing up that there was a license fee (5$ ?) At one time, but they did away with the fee. I am just guessing that they also did away with the license at some point as it doesn't make much sense to go through the administrative work to issue licenses if you aren't going to charge people for them anyway.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
I used to have all my stuff hooked up in Killeen from the 70s till mid 80s untill I went overseas. Base station, mobile radio, echo box. It was like having company over without them being there cause we all knew each other. Some of them I talked to often but never met face to face. Recently I found someone on craigslist looking for old CB stuff. He looked to be in his early 20s and very knowledgeable about CBs but I don't know what he thought he could buy from me with only $10 so I kept my stuff. Thinking of hooking it all back up for old times sake..
Brings back memories. Dad started out with a base station, and it was mostly us kids (teens at the time) who used it. We would sometimes stay up all night during the summer and play monopoly taking turns talking on the CB to pass the time. Dad eventually got a mobile unit and put it in his car, so we would talk using that when we were riding with him to go some place. Our base station rig went through various configurations with different antenna (ground planes, 3 and 5 element beams as well as a Moonraker) amplified microphones (remember the D104s?), etc. Like I say, I bought a mobile unit a few years back kind of hoping to re-live the nostalga, but the whole CB culture is different now.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,452 times
I used a ground plane for my base station and also had my echo box attached to it. It was the VC-200. Before that one I had a Realistic base station with the D104. I had to use a filter so that I wouldn't bleed over on the neighbors' radios, tvs etc specially since I had a 150 watt linear. The song "Convoy" by C.W. McCall I think made CB radios more popular in their day. One of those gone but not forgotten memories...

Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
I looked up CB Radio's on Ebay and people are bidding on them. That is alway's a good sign.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
C.B. is dead... it was great pre- late 60's or early 70's before it went nuts! The FCC will not give the citizens decent communications. It's for the high profit cell industry only. You pay through the nose!! They're our frequencies!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
C.B. is dead... it was great pre- late 60's or early 70's before it went nuts! The FCC will not give the citizens decent communications. It's for the high profit cell industry only. You pay through the nose!! They're our frequencies!
I've been using a base station and have had a CB in my car the past 10 years... it's been handy... not completely dead! PS. I'm only 27 years old so I wasn't around during the glory CB days...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
The foul language and politics would go in the same category for that kind of thing...I can see why people avoid it.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
I'm so thankful that we got to live during the CB craze of the seventies, enjoy it so very much, and enjoy the memories here. I guess now, were it to catch-on like that, again it would be much more dangerous when folks wanted to be too friendly, but, I admit reading here I was hoping, at first that maybe it could come-back simply by us all hooking up, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio