Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 AM

291 posts, read 688,995 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Seattle without a car. It actually works pretty good for the most part. I live in the Downtown area so that makes it easy to do. Would this work in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 04:56 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
as someone who was mobile and content without a license until i moved to san antonio, i can safely say even downtown life will be pretty difficult without a car. there are places you can go and get to with somewhat ease walking, biking and taking the extremely limited public options, but san antonio is not a place you want to be in without some sort of reliable auto transportation (even if it's a friend or spouse, like i did for several years) even when living downtown. consider where you might work and also keep in mind that there are no substantial grocery stores downtown (a few "marts").

it can be done with some very very careful logistics, but i truth, san antonio is not a place you want to be stuck without a ride.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
SA is just so spread out, not going to say you can't get around with it but it might take you hours and alot of walking between bus routes to get from point A to point B.

I once had the bright idea of taking the bus to work instead of driving.. The drive took about 20 minutes, the bus would have taken a little over 1.5 hours with a 6 block walk (each way). The distance from home to work? 16 miles.

And walking in our weather (+100 every day) for someone coming from Seattle, you will be a limp rag by the time you get to your destination......

Either a car or motorcycle for 99% of people is a requirement....

Info on SA's public transportation company:

http://www.viainfo.net/

Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM

89 posts, read 234,039 times
Yeah I wouldn't suggest it. I had to sell my car to pay to move here (wasn't making enough at work), and have been riding the bus ever since February. I HATE it. This place is way too spread out, I have to walk as long as take the bus, and when its hot out like it is now, its just unbearable.

Not to mention VIA isn't the best bus system I've ever seen. Busses late, broke down, heck I had to ride the 96 home and it had no A/C. That was a week ago!

I hate the fact that I can't go where I want to go because I'm at mercy of the bus schedules and the routes. Its more than an effort to get to the Quarry, and I've never been anywhere south of downtown because its too long of a bus ride.

If I were you, I'd suggest getting a car. You're really gonna need it, and you're gonna see how much better it is vs. the alternative.

And yea, I wish I could get a car, but my wife's not working, and I'm barely hanging on with bills and groceries as it is. So, yeah....

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Basically, no. Downtown SA is geared towards tourism, so there's a lot of hotels, restaurants and attractions but none of the real amenities someone would need if they lived there without any real means of transportation. In other words, unless you are prepared to ride a VIA bus to go grocery shopping, you're going to find it tough to be without a car.

Outside of downtown, it is likely that you could live near your place of employment; but for most people it involves commuting.

As for using a motorcycle for transportation, I honestly would recommend against it. I own two bikes and rarely use them for riding inside 1604 as traffic is dangerous enough as it is without adding the risk factor of being on a motorcycle. And while we do get great riding weather most of the year, being stuck on a bike in traffic in triple-digit heat is not fun!

There are many affordable small cars on the market, I have a small Toyota hatchback that I mainly use to commute to work and back and it's good on gas, versatile if I need to haul things, insurance is affordable and most importantly, it had air conditioning on those really hot days (and we get a lot of 'em!).

Cheers! M2

Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM

160 posts, read 233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I currently live in Seattle without a car. It actually works pretty good for the most part. I live in the Downtown area so that makes it easy to do. Would this work in San Antonio?
No way. Don't even try it. I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. It was terrible there.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My husband and I share one vehicle and have for the last 14 years...I don't believe in driving anywhere that's close enough to walk or bike and he doesn't believe in walking any further than from the front door to the car door, so it's really his. As long as you live in an area where you can walk to a grocery store and you live close to a bus stop, you can manage without a car. If you work second shift, the only way to get home on the bus is to live downtown...most of the buses through the neighborhoods don't run later than 8 pm.

One thing to consider though is that if you're single, it's hard for a man without a car to date in San Antonio.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
The bus system is just not up to par; however, if you want to save money and you can accept the inconveniences of public transportation, you will eventually get to where you need to be.

This is a really excellent point. You have to schedule your life a lot more carefully when you don't have a car.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
short anwser: nope.

not as short answer: SA is pretty spread out. good luck traversing it on public transportation here.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Not no...but heck no. Texas is big...and spread out. Get a Harley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio