Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 15,064 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I will be relocating from Wisconsin to TX in a couple of months, and am trying to decided b/w San Antonio and Austin. My sister just moved to SA and she loves it. However, I love lakes, outdoor activities, and music, so I was thinking of Austin. I also do love go to museums, plays, arts, great restaurants, so I'm not sure which city has the better of all of those.

I'm 31 and single, so I still like to hit up the bars every once and awhile, but want to settle down soon, and I hear S.A. is a better family place. I work in healthcare, so I'm not concerned with finding a job in either place.

So I guess any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 PM

74 posts, read 239,920 times
Uh-oh, I think I hear Pandora's Box opening with this topic...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

418 posts, read 784,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapisalg View Post
Hi All:

I will be relocating from Wisconsin to TX in a couple of months, and am trying to decided b/w San Antonio and Austin. My sister just moved to SA and she loves it. However, I love lakes, outdoor activities, and music, so I was thinking of Austin. I also do love go to museums, plays, arts, great restaurants, so I'm not sure which city has the better of all of those.

I'm 31 and single, so I still like to hit up the bars every once and awhile, but want to settle down soon, and I hear S.A. is a better family place. I work in healthcare, so I'm not concerned with finding a job in either place.

Thanks in advance!
No brainer... move to SA as you will already have family in town.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1869 View Post
Uh-oh, I think I hear Pandora's Box opening with this topic...
I'll get the torches and pitchforks ready.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Here we go again. Try a search for this subject and a lot will come up for it. It never ends pretty.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM

16 posts, read 37,037 times
Since no one else is here to light the match in de fire...i will...San Antonio is better...Austins lame!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times
Quote:
Hi All:

Thanks in advance!

Austin's only an hour away so it's not that big of deal. Both cities have pretty much the same thing. You'll have to drive out to get to the lakes. Austin is more of the "fit" city but SA's and surround areas have some nice riding areas. Austin wins in the music but we're getting there. SA has a rich history but it's definately more laid back and chill. But that's what I think. Take it or leave. Both cities have something I like and enjoy but it makes more sense for me to live in SA since, well, my family is close by and my job is here and visit Austin when I get a chance.

And worry a little about the "healthcare" job thing. It's not that easy, especially in SA. Unless you've got great certs and experience, you'll be going against those who've got the "in" and experience. I work in medicine not so much direct patient care but from what I see and hear. it's getting harder to get in because of influx of personnel from out of town and state.

Last edited by tortuga29; 10-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: "I" before "E" except after "C"..dammmit!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Move to SA. It's cheaper and AUstin is only an hour down the road. You can go there any time you want. If family is already here, you can set up shop here, and figure it out. You'll have nothing to lose. San Antonio is a very "marrried" town.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 PM

58 posts, read 127,130 times
really? come on now!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Hi All:

Thanks in advance!
Honestly, you sound like you should start off in Austin then move to San Antonio!

I say that because the amenities you described now (bolded above) make Austin your best bet, but the ones underlined would make San Antonio the better choice.

Those not highlighted are a wash. In other words, both cities have their fare share of them, or lack them equally.

Generally speaking, Austin is a younger, more liberal, "hipper" college town with a better bar scene (6th Street); but San Antonio is more mature, conservative and as you said "family oriented."

When I was younger (late 20s/early 30s) and single we used to trek to Austin from San Angelo, but later on in life when I was older (late 30s/early 40s) and married San Antonio appealed to me much more.

These days when we go up to Austin to visit, I still like the place (there are plenty of hills, water and trees) but after driving around there for a while I am glad to get back to San Antonio!

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio