Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM

216 posts, read 698,076 times

Advertisements

hi from california. this is a familiar question. i am from california and am looking to move to a more affordable area. gulf coast holds no desire, hurricanes...the hill country has become very alluring to me. looking a sperlings best places, new braunfels is a good size town with easy access to san antonio? i've noticed the rain this last month is every single day.....give me some good and bad on new braunfels. will be visiting in august of 07 thanx y'all (see, i'm learning...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Well, your fellow Californians will automatically assume you are uneducated and very unsophisticated if you say y'all, so I would give that up before it becomes a habit! New Braunfels is a lovely place to live, although commuting to SA from there would not be my cup of tea. The traffic on I-35 (notice I didn't say "the 35") is pretty thick. If you have gas money to burn, it's not so bad, depending on the side of SA you would work on. Anyway, the Hill Country and the New Braunfels area are very nice.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM

17 posts, read 70,346 times
agreed the hill country is beautiful and there are a lot of very nice people here. I actually worked on the river in N.B while I was in school. It is a perfect sized town close to the city.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 12,149 times
Wink perfectly sized new braunfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Besinger View Post
agreed the hill country is beautiful and there are a lot of very nice people here. I actually worked on the river in N.B while I was in school. It is a perfect sized town close to the city.

Honestly, I can't stand the fact that you can't walk to the nearest store. I live off of 35, and I can't for the life of me get the courage...."OK I'm pretty lazy" to walk to the Pilot Station...too much hills. If I could walk to Wal-Mart from my house, that would be great. Thats the kind of living I would like to have. See I'm from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and up there, you can walk ANYWHERE you want to go... I mean you can even walk to the next city or township within maybe 15-20 minutes walking time. You could walk to the mall for goodness sake, I mean who would give that up? MEEEE!!! I gave it up because there was way too much drama in PA, so I met my fiance in PA, and we moved here....my family was here...Lets just put it this way...I miss the SNOW! So does anyone know where a good location in New Braunfels is somewhat like that? The walking distance isn't so bad, and I don't mean the snowing part lol. Thanks for all the replies...if I get any!http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon12.gif

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
I visited NB back in 2003 and liked it there very much. Nice little town with German heritage.:-)

Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM

111 posts, read 714,556 times
Default NB is the way to go...

I grew up in NB and my family still lives there. The school district is great and the town is growing like a week. They have a new Target and HEB opening there. The town has great heritage and seems to have some sort of activity to do there every weekend! Good location for driving to work in Austin or SA. San Marcos outlets are 15 minutes away. Lots of new neighborhoods! I would live there again in a heartbeat

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,613 times
Moving to New Braunfels from Ventura, CA, in less than 2 weeks and I'm scared to death. Never been away from my family and friends, and I'm SPOILED with the beach, mountains, and weather. But the replies on this website tell me people generally rate this town pretty favorably. Help! xoxo Tracey

Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM

93 posts, read 95,026 times
What exactly are you "scared" of?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceymoore67 View Post
Moving to New Braunfels from Ventura, CA, in less than 2 weeks and I'm scared to death. Never been away from my family and friends, and I'm SPOILED with the beach, mountains, and weather. But the replies on this website tell me people generally rate this town pretty favorably. Help! xoxo Tracey
Let me do the "ratings" one better....we live here - family (Mom's side) has for over 150 years. We have NO regrets! Feel free to DM - be happy to help in any way!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Yeah, ain't nuttin' to be scared about; New Braunfels is a nice town. About the only concern you might have will be there's one or two locals that need watching! (cough, cough, TexasRedNeck!).

Seriously, don't act "spoiled" and folks will be very friendly and warm towards ya. Be one of "those" ex-Californians who constantly go on about how great that state was, and be prepared to be treated like a leper.

Oh, and also note that despite the large influx of ex-Californians who have moved to Texas, this still is Texas. We don't want to be like California so please don't act like we should. Accept Texas as being great in its own right, and do your best to blend it, and you'll most likely find you'll love it here like most of us!

Welcome, and let us know how your "transition" goes...

Cheers! M2 (a non-native Texan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio