Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,637 times

Advertisements

Lol!
this sounds so vain. But I look sweaty and my tired. I am in shock with the size of the bugs, the extreme humidity and the difficulty in....exercising outdoors, finding a hair care routine, a skin care routine and just being fabulous in general. My make up melts. and I have gotten about 3 shades darker- which is fine, but I know I'm getting crows feet!

Any other Valley Angelenos? suffering from beauty maladjustment?
Yes I sound so shallow. I'm slightly exaggerating.

I am SO GLAD to be free of the plastic society I was living and raising my girls in. I have gained 9 pounds since being In Tx, in 1 month. I guess not seeing tan-orexics getting botox at the gym everyday has seeped out of my psyche. What feels worse than shopping in market with a stick thin ageless celebrity, seeing their cart of water and air?

Its odd b/c I was repulsed (literally) when the girl at the u-haul had a visible mustache. I thought to myself, what planet have I landed on????
female facial hair is....not to ever be on display. But today 1 month later, I wouldn't even blink at such.

I was one of the gym girls, getting chemicals pumped in my wrinkles. I also had silicone before it was even legal. I looked like a bobble head with plastic barbie boobs. Im so LA and I am so glad I am finally
free of the superficial bubble I had no idea I was in.
I am detoxing from the beauty obsessed, weight obsessed age obsessed city that Los Angeles proudly is.

My Hair extensions are coming out... I'm coming out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 AM

85 posts, read 357,048 times
Hahahaha.... That was a really funny post. On a serious note, I had trouble getting my beauty routine down when we first moved here also. The water is very hard in some areas and the only answer for your hair & skin is a water softener? What part of town do you live in?
The outdoor exercising problem shouldn't stay a problem for too long. The humidity we've been having is due to the unusually excessive rainfall we've had.
For your skin, in addtion to softened water, find a moisturizer with SPF and a foundation with SPF as well. The layering of two products doesn't double the SPF but it helps and creates a thicker barrier for sun damage to get through. Also products with AHA, Vit C, retinol or glycolic acid help a lot here. Set up an appt with a makeup artist at one of the beauty counters. They can give you good ideas for lines that carry everything you need for this area of the country.
Good Luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
YOU GO GIRL!!!

I know that everyone obsesses on the Hollowood (yes, HOLLOW) types, both on TV/rag magazines, but it sure seems to me that most of those folks are so superficial that they waste their lives running after what??? Sure seems that most of them have issues and lead an empty existance. Glad that you have broken free of that type of "I live to impress others" type of mentality.

WELCOME to SA...and for GREAT Italian food, try Picillo's on Evers Road, just about 3/4 of a mile outside 410.....it is WONDERFUL!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
What plastic Barbie doll botox-filled girl goes to U-Haul??? Give me a break!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
FYI, Clinique Super City Block is amazing stuff. It's a SPF 40 moisturizer that is very light and it is just moisturizing enough for in the morning under makeup. It will help with the accidental tanning. I've been using it for years, and I don't have any skin issues yet beyond the occasional breakout.

Also, remember that even when it's cloudy, those UV rays are beating down and aging your skin. Constant vigilance! SPF year round.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Hi Mariposa, I can relate to some of your issues. At first I thought you were a troll, but then you spelled "exaggerating" correctly, which is a very California thing to do. As for exercise, I can't do it outdoors anyway because I'm afraid of being run over by the drivers here. As for makeup, I avoid the SPF stuff (especially concealer) because it runs in your eyes here with the humidity, which can be really uncomfortable. I wish that there was something available that did not have chemical sunscreens. Maybe there is? And yes, the hard water is a pain for the hair. I've got bets with my roomie on whether my hair completely cracks off before he gets kidney stone from drinking it from the tap! I just don't think people should be drinking from the tap here with all the calcium and whatever... Welcome and I hope you like it here.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
Hi Rockin', I used the Clinique cityblock too once upon a time, but isn't that the one with a lot of zinc in it? Even under foundation it gave me a pale cast, and I can't afford to look any more pale than I am.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Mariposa....great post! I love LA to visit....I as actually born there, so I have a place in my heart for LA. But Texas has long been my home. I think the climate differences are the biggest adjustments from LA to San Antonio.
Even during our less humid summers, it's still not going to have that LA weather.

You made some great points about the trade offs. It's easy to get caught up in the "jet stream"....but then all of a sudden your life isn't your own anymore. You've got a lot of character to have a wonderful sense of humor about shedding a different lifestyle. San Antonio is not for everyone....but then either is LA.

Welcome and hope you find your comfort level as you adapt to your new home!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 AM

81 posts, read 261,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposa32 View Post
Lol!
this sounds so vain. But I look sweaty and my tired. I am in shock with the size of the bugs, the extreme humidity and the difficulty in....exercising outdoors, finding a hair care routine, a skin care routine and just being fabulous in general. My make up melts. and I have gotten about 3 shades darker- which is fine, but I know I'm getting crows feet!

Any other Valley Angelenos? suffering from beauty maladjustment?
Yes I sound so shallow. I'm slightly exaggerating.

I am SO GLAD to be free of the plastic society I was living and raising my girls in. I have gained 9 pounds since being In Tx, in 1 month. I guess not seeing tan-orexics getting botox at the gym everyday has seeped out of my psyche. What feels worse than shopping in market with a stick thin ageless celebrity, seeing their cart of water and air?

Its odd b/c I was repulsed (literally) when the girl at the u-haul had a visible mustache. I thought to myself, what planet have I landed on????
female facial hair is....not to ever be on display. But today 1 month later, I wouldn't even blink at such.

I was one of the gym girls, getting chemicals pumped in my wrinkles. I also had silicone before it was even legal. I looked like a bobble head with plastic barbie boobs. Im so LA and I am so glad I am finally
free of the superficial bubble I had no idea I was in.
I am detoxing from the beauty obsessed, weight obsessed age obsessed city that Los Angeles proudly is.

My Hair extensions are coming out... I'm coming out.
Um, here in Dallas you think girls just let themselves go? lol BOY are you in for a surprise. Beleive me I am no fan of Texas as a matter of fact I am leaving, but it's not a city of ugly fat moo moo's. believe me, there are plently of "plastic girls" here as well. hair extensions? People come from LA and NY to have hair extensions done here and cosmetic surgery, opne of the most well known surgeons is here and boob job doc. maybe you are in a small town, but where I live the women looks as old as their teenage daughters, dress the same too.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
Um, here in Dallas you think girls just let themselves go? lol BOY are you in for a surprise. Beleive me I am no fan of Texas as a matter of fact I am leaving, but it's not a city of ugly fat moo moo's. believe me, there are plently of "plastic girls" here as well. hair extensions? People come from LA and NY to have hair extensions done here and cosmetic surgery, opne of the most well known surgeons is here and boob job doc. maybe you are in a small town, but where I live the women looks as old as their teenage daughters, dress the same too.
LOL....Jonna...you have a good point too! Having lived in the DFW area for 18 years I remember well. I think the "big hair" thing associated with Texas was born in Dallas.......but Houston is a close tie! Houston has the disadvantage of mega humidity so "big hair" is a bigger challenge! Dallas is more "hairspray" friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio