Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 AM

268 posts, read 594,040 times

Advertisements

Thanks RevImmigrant -- great posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
I thought a majority of the Jalisco restaurants here are under common ownership. Is that not the case?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
Default What is "Jalisco Style" Mexican food?

Seems like Tex Mex to me. What makes it different.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Jalisco is a state in Mexico. While there may be a regional style, a few years someone did a survey of 'Jalisco' places and found they were standard tex-mex for the most part. It's just a gimmick to sound exotic.

If there is authentic Jalisco food, you won't find in the majority of so-called restaurants.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Although the name is from the home State of a lot of the folks here, it refers to the recipes they brought with them which usually means it's cooked over an open flame and only lightly seasoned but tasty. It's fairly rare in San Antonio as the Tex-Mex is about all you'll find.....and that ain't bad. You should try Mexican food in New Mexico. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't try it- it's horrible even on a great day. My girls live in Tennessee and South Carolina and they claim their friends think Patio frozen is the worlds best mexican food. Gotta wonder about folks that think mustard belongs on bar-b-q.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

170 posts, read 291,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Jalisco is a state in Mexico. While there may be a regional style, a few years someone did a survey of 'Jalisco' places and found they were standard tex-mex for the most part. It's just a gimmick to sound exotic.

If there is authentic Jalisco food, you won't find in the majority of so-called restaurants.
Yeah, we must have read the same SA Current article a few years back. Basically, there's dozens of places with "Jalisco" in the name, and out of all of them, there are maybe 2 or 3 that serve authentic dishes from that region.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
Yeah, we must have read the same SA Current article a few years back. Basically, there's dozens of places with "Jalisco" in the name, and out of all of them, there are maybe 2 or 3 that serve authentic dishes from that region.
I remember reading that article too, it was quite good.
There are definitely LOTS of tex-mex restaurants here that use Jalisco in the name.
I think it's like all the chain steak house restaurants that use Texas in the name or on the menu.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Jalisco style is not Tex-Mex. There are a few authentic Tex-Mex restaurants left. Tex-Mex is an American cuisine, developed in the United States, and it uses locally obtained ingredients including sharp cheddar cheese.

Compare a fajita taco bought at a Jalisco style restaurant and what you will get is a yummy taco but not a Tex-Mex style fajita. Jalisco style fajitas are finely chopped squares and oily (Cubed fajitas are not Tex-Mex!). Tex-Mex fajitas are strips and juicy but can also be drier.

Everything else is different too, the tortillas (Tex-Mex are flour and fluffy; Jalisco are greasy and dense), the types of drinks offered (American brands and lemonade vs tropical drinks and lemonadas), service people (English speaking waiters who can also speak Spanish vs mainly Spanish with poor English), and even the type of establishments, how many workers, the approach to making food, other recipes, are all different.

Whatever Jalisco style is, it is not Tex-Mex.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
This is what I noticed: Jalisco style food is cooked in big open fire pits. My favorite food from these is birria. Birria is a pit-roasted version of goat or beef. I like the the goat. If served as a soup then is not pit-roasted but cooked in a pot with water, beer, chiles and other spices. Yum!!
or served as a "meat with corn tortillas", beans and salsa.
Oh, and I also should mention torta ahogada - a great sandwich made with sliced pork leg. Hot stuff!!

However, I never got any real Jalisco food here in Houston/San Antonio area. Most food is prepared to american taste. ( and called Tex-Mex )
You can get Pozole ( usually on a weekend menu) - a corn and pork based thick soup ( although I saw also made with chicken ) topped with cabbage, onions, radishes and salsa. So addictive!

To my observation Jalisco means not much of ground meat, flour tortillas or cheese. No lettuce, but cabbage. Mostly goat and pork. More veggies ( love nopales!), more spices, fruit based beverages...

I am not sure if this all is originally Jalisco, but must say that it was popular in that region.
People move around and add new ideas to their dishes, so I am not sure what is the "original, old-fashioned" Jalisco style cuisine.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
The overwhelming # of places with Jalisco in the name here have nothing to do with Jalisco-style food on the table. The Express did a nice piece in the last year iirc addressing the Jalisco phenomenon here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio