Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few others who are interested in historical structures in the area, and a friend of mine sent me this website which I thought was worth sharing...

Bridgehunter.com | Bexar County, Texas

It's got info on historic or notable bridges that I wasn't aware of; such as Berg's Mill Bridge over by Mission Trail, which I have seen but didn't know its name.

Others, like the truss bridge on Crockett Street downtown, I was surprised as to how old as it was (built in 1891, and the Brackenridge Park bridge is actually a year older and built by the same company! A lot of downtown bridges were built during that time-frame).

The nice thing about the site is that it is listed by county by state, so you can find and explore neat old bridges in the surrounding areas!

So you fellow adventurers, do some research and let us know what you find!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I know there are a few others who are interested in historical structures in the area, and a friend of mine sent me this website which I thought was worth sharing...

Bridgehunter.com | Bexar County, Texas

It's got info on historic or notable bridges that I wasn't aware of; such as Berg's Mill Bridge over by Mission Trail, which I have seen but didn't know its name.

Others, like the truss bridge on Crockett Street downtown, I was surprised as to how old as it was (built in 1891, and the Brackenridge Park bridge is actually a year older and built by the same company! A lot of downtown bridges were built during that time-frame).

The nice thing about the site is that it is listed by county by state, so you can find and explore neat old bridges in the surrounding areas!

So you fellow adventurers, do some research and let us know what you find!

Cheers! M2
I like to look at old bridges too. There is this one I pass near VON ORMY on 35 heading into town. Every time I see it , I just want to drive down it. I am always too busy!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
I used to drive acroos the narrow Berg's Mill bridge frequently in my younger days. It was rendered obsolete when the river was redirected slightly and the new bridge replaced it.

the peckerwood gang types have gotten to the plaque marker...
The old bridge on Pleasanton Road I crossed a great many times. It was a true one lane! The remnants are still there off to the side of the new one.

Last edited by SATX56; 01-01-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,078 times
Home
O. Henry, Considered one of America's greatest short-story writers, lived in this house in 1885. As editor of his newspaper "The Rolling Stone" he used San Antonio as the setting of some of his most intriguing short stories such as "A Fog in Santone" and "The Higher Abdication".

In "A Fog in San Antone", the Presa Street bridge played a prominent role.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,757 times
Out near the community of Graytown , near the Wilson County line, are several old iron bridges over the San Antonio River, but they aren't driveable.There is also an old bridge in McQueeny which is not driveable also.The railroad bridge in McQueeny is still used. The railroad bridge on Evans Road is near the old community of Luxcello.All that remains is a few houses and the old dance hall. It is near where Evans and Nacogdoches Road meet.It's on Evans a little south of Nacogdoches.
Also,near Comfort, sitting in a field is the old Fredricksburg and Northern Railroad bridge near the Guadalupe River.You can't approach it at all.You can Google this defunct railroad.
Near Sutherland Springs and Lavernia, in Wilson County is a bridge on an old road which is also blocked off.
It's been years, but I think there is the remains of an old iron bridge across the Guadalupe River near the ghost town of Wesson on FM311 in the area of Spring Branch.Just a couple of buildings there.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Try the suspension bridges...only one still open to traffic in Texas - have driven over it w/a bunch of bikers when we took a tour of 'em in the area.

Bridgehunter.com | Keyword search in Texas

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,565 times
As a little kid, nothing struck more fear in me than the old North New Braunfels bridge that was east of IH 35 north. This bridge went over the Southern Pacific rail yard. Not only was the the two lane road bed bumpy, the bridge would shake, creak, and moan everytime we drove on it. My parents called it the "washboard." I was so relieved when it was replaced by a modern bridge in the late 70's.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 6,408 times
Default Old Historic Bridges of SA/Bexar County

I posted, as a reply under this same heading requesting any information about an old bridge on Southton road and Salado creek which I saw one night back in the early 60's. However I can only think that while attempting to post I did something wrong and the post got lost in translation. I cannot find it. So here we go again............I have become interested to find a photo or picture of an old dilapidated bridge that crossed over Salado Creek at Southton road. The last time I saw it was one night, when a group of friends invited me to accompany them on a haunted house investigation. This occurred back in the early 60's. However since then, on or about 1973 the bridge was replaced. The area too which was once rural and desolate has become more populated. I have been trying to locate photos or pictures of the old bridge that once stood there crossing over Salado creek at Southton road. To say that it made quite an impression on my mind does not even come close.....I remember that night as if it had happened a few weeks ago. We entered Southton road off of Presa street. The first thing I noticed was that the few houses that were there were all on the left side of the street. I thought this strange then, but now I know why that was so. It was because railroad tracks occupied the right of the street which I was unable to see in the dark. The street also was only paved as far as the last house. After this point, there would be no more street lamps and from here on we would be driving over a dirt road. After a few minutes of continuing down the dirt road, we could make out an image of a structure not too far away. A mist-like vapor rose from the creek below and hovered about the old bridge which gave the dilapidated structure an eerie look. The dim moon light also that managed to penetrate the dense foliage of the large trees surrounding the creek below emanated a most ghastly spectre. I'm not sure if it had cross bars over the top to support the side frames or even what they were made off, but the bottom portion where the car drove over was definitely wood. There were no lights, no houses, and no traffic. There were only the car's headlights and whatever peripheral light the high beams could produce about the utter darkness as we passed over. It was pitch black beneath the bridge and we could hear heart wrenching sounds of roaring water from the darkness below. Add to this the creaking wood as we slowly and carefully traversed the old dilapidated bridge. I say creaking but it might have been the sound of breaking wood under the weight of the car. I cannot tell you how scared I was. And still, we had yet to get to the haunted house. I was a bundle of nerves, but no one was saying anything and so I kept it to myself. After we had driven awhile without a word being said, one of my friends finally broke the silence to say that we were not far from it now. He said that when the railroad tracks, which had been to our right all along for now, crossed over the street and then, we ourselves crossed over the tracks we would be able to see the house to our left. The terrain was very wooded at parts to sparsely wooded. We finally came up on the railroad sign, crossed over the railroad tracks, and sure enough there was the house. It was rather small, more like a cabin. The car stopped, and we were all gawking at the cabin. Next to the car was a small ditch, then next to the ditch a scraggly barbed wired fence. On the other side of the fence about 100 yards away, was the cabin. Again, no lights as far as the eye could see other than the dim moon light whenever the clouds cleared. All I could think of was that I wanted to go home. After being there for a few minutes I decided to look more intently at the cabin. I could make out a porch and two windows, one on either side of the door which stood at the middle of the porch. It appeared as if a light passed by the window, not an electric light, or flash light, more like the light produced by a candle. Not the actual flame just a faint light that a candle creates. I thought to myself, if not a light, then what did I see? Then someone went and spoiled it by saying let's get off. I told them I was not getting off, they told me we were all getting off. I told them I would be the last one in line. After finding a break in the barbed wired fence we all entered, I of course was the last one. I could still make out the movement of dim light crossing the window. Why hadn't anyone else said anything about it. We continued on, then when we came within 50 yards of the house I could see that there was in fact no porch at all, neither were there any windows just a door. What about the light that I saw? I kept thinking to myself, and as I pondered on this I heard a sound. A sound like a stone hitting a piece of tin or metal. I was the last in line and I did not see anyone in the act of throwing anything. All I knew is that I had had enough, and apparently everyone else too, because we all ran back to the car. I was the first one in the car. I cleared the fence and ditch and into the car I went. Everyone came in after me. The driver floored the pedal and we were "out of there". After a while I began to feel a stinging sensation on the bottoms of my feet. I felt what it was, and found that my feet were full of stickers. As I pulled them out I was making a sound of pain, and my friends asked me what the matter was? I told them, and they asked me hadn't I worn any shoes? I told them yes, I'd worn shoes, but apparently, I had jumped right out of them when I jumped the fence and ditch. They, of course made fun, then asked me if I wanted to go back for them. NO! I said, then demanded " let's get out of here"..............This adventure really occurred back in the 60's and in my old age I can relate to it with a little more wisdom if you will. What about the light I saw. Well I've come up with two possibilities. One, it could have been that there was a vagabond(s) using the cabin as a rest stop, and used candles to see by night. After all there were railroad tracks nearby within view of the cabin. Or two, it might have been the reflection from the moon as it cleared the clouds appearing as moving light against the wall of the cabin. I know I saw a dim light moving across what I thought to be a window, and I know I heard a sound of a stone hitting tin or metal. Although I cannot qualify this to be a haunting, I do not deny that there are indeed supernatural occurrences in this world. However, the unnerving fear, that the old dilapidated bridge in that particular eerie setting left firmly planted in my conscious mind has never escaped me, and I'll dare to say that it would have certainly produced a good scare in even the bravest of people. I was so impressed by its awesome and unnerving appearance that night that I would certainly like to see a visible photo or picture of it as it stood before it was demolished. thx in advance....

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish58gg45 View Post

...this adventure really occurred back in the 60's

Ok.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
ish58gg45

I hope you don't mind, but I broke your post down into paragraphs for easier reading. It was well written, just hard to follow as is...

Thanks! M2

Quote:
I posted, as a reply under this same heading requesting any information about an old bridge on Southton road and Salado creek which I saw one night back in the early 60's.

However I can only think that while attempting to post I did something wrong and the post got lost in translation. I cannot find it. So here we go again............

I have become interested to find a photo or picture of an old dilapidated bridge that crossed over Salado Creek at Southton road. The last time I saw it was one night, when a group of friends invited me to accompany them on a haunted house investigation. This occurred back in the early 60's.

However since then, on or about 1973 the bridge was replaced. The area too which was once rural and desolate has become more populated. I have been trying to locate photos or pictures of the old bridge that once stood there crossing over Salado creek at Southton road.

To say that it made quite an impression on my mind does not even come close.....I remember that night as if it had happened a few weeks ago. We entered Southton road off of Presa street. The first thing I noticed was that the few houses that were there were all on the left side of the street. I thought this strange then, but now I know why that was so. It was because railroad tracks occupied the right of the street which I was unable to see in the dark. The street also was only paved as far as the last house.

After this point, there would be no more street lamps and from here on we would be driving over a dirt road. After a few minutes of continuing down the dirt road, we could make out an image of a structure not too far away. A mist-like vapor rose from the creek below and hovered about the old bridge which gave the dilapidated structure an eerie look. The dim moon light also that managed to penetrate the dense foliage of the large trees surrounding the creek below emanated a most ghastly spectre.

I'm not sure if it had cross bars over the top to support the side frames or even what they were made off, but the bottom portion where the car drove over was definitely wood.

There were no lights, no houses, and no traffic. There were only the car's headlights and whatever peripheral light the high beams could produce about the utter darkness as we passed over. It was pitch black beneath the bridge and we could hear heart wrenching sounds of roaring water from the darkness below. Add to this the creaking wood as we slowly and carefully traversed the old dilapidated bridge. I say creaking but it might have been the sound of breaking wood under the weight of the car.

I cannot tell you how scared I was. And still, we had yet to get to the haunted house. I was a bundle of nerves, but no one was saying anything and so I kept it to myself.

After we had driven awhile without a word being said, one of my friends finally broke the silence to say that we were not far from it now. He said that when the railroad tracks, which had been to our right all along for now, crossed over the street and then, we ourselves crossed over the tracks we would be able to see the house to our left.

The terrain was very wooded at parts to sparsely wooded. We finally came up on the railroad sign, crossed over the railroad tracks, and sure enough there was the house. It was rather small, more like a cabin. The car stopped, and we were all gawking at the cabin.

Next to the car was a small ditch, then next to the ditch a scraggly barbed wired fence. On the other side of the fence about 100 yards away, was the cabin. Again, no lights as far as the eye could see other than the dim moon light whenever the clouds cleared. All I could think of was that I wanted to go home.

After being there for a few minutes I decided to look more intently at the cabin. I could make out a porch and two windows, one on either side of the door which stood at the middle of the porch. It appeared as if a light passed by the window, not an electric light, or flash light, more like the light produced by a candle. Not the actual flame just a faint light that a candle creates. I thought to myself, if not a light, then what did I see?

Then someone went and spoiled it by saying let's get off. I told them I was not getting off, they told me we were all getting off. I told them I would be the last one in line.

After finding a break in the barbed wired fence we all entered, I of course was the last one. I could still make out the movement of dim light crossing the window. Why hadn't anyone else said anything about it?

We continued on, then when we came within 50 yards of the house I could see that there was in fact no porch at all, neither were there any windows just a door. What about the light that I saw? I kept thinking to myself, and as I pondered on this I heard a sound. A sound like a stone hitting a piece of tin or metal. I was the last in line and I did not see anyone in the act of throwing anything. All I knew is that I had had enough, and apparently everyone else too, because we all ran back to the car.

I was the first one in the car. I cleared the fence and ditch and into the car I went. Everyone came in after me. The driver floored the pedal and we were "out of there".

After a while I began to feel a stinging sensation on the bottoms of my feet. I felt what it was, and found that my feet were full of stickers. As I pulled them out I was making a sound of pain, and my friends asked me what the matter was? I told them, and they asked me hadn't I worn any shoes? I told them yes, I'd worn shoes, but apparently, I had jumped right out of them when I jumped the fence and ditch. They, of course made fun, then asked me if I wanted to go back for them. NO! I said, then demanded " let's get out of here"..............

This adventure really occurred back in the 60's and in my old age I can relate to it with a little more wisdom if you will. What about the light I saw. Well I've come up with two possibilities. One, it could have been that there was a vagabond(s) using the cabin as a rest stop, and used candles to see by night. After all there were railroad tracks nearby within view of the cabin. Or two, it might have been the reflection from the moon as it cleared the clouds appearing as moving light against the wall of the cabin.

I know I saw a dim light moving across what I thought to be a window, and I know I heard a sound of a stone hitting tin or metal. Although I cannot qualify this to be a haunting, I do not deny that there are indeed supernatural occurrences in this world.

However, the unnerving fear, that the old dilapidated bridge in that particular eerie setting left firmly planted in my conscious mind has never escaped me, and I'll dare to say that it would have certainly produced a good scare in even the bravest of people. I was so impressed by its awesome and unnerving appearance that night that I would certainly like to see a visible photo or picture of it as it stood before it was demolished.

thx in advance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio