Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 10,372 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Im planning to move from out of state and visited a couple of apartment complexes in the medical center area. How is the area, Safe? schools, etc? Thanks for your assistance
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Ive lived in two apt complexs in the area, and can only give you advice on where I have lived. What ever you do avoid Villages of Cinnamon Creek. They have large floor plans and they are cheap, but they are cheap for a good reason; terrible office, maintenance, parking, and inside the units are falling apart.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,210 times
I had a friend that lived in apartments on Babcock and Medical and I had always thought that this was one of the better areas in the city (not as nice as Stone Oak, Dominion, and Alamo Heights obviously, and I had never lived there myself). However, she had all the rims/tires stolen off her car not once but twice!! I would at least stay away from those apartments I don't know about the others.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM

19 posts, read 47,015 times
The Med Center is basically an urban center of low income housing. I would NEVER even think of living that close to the 410 Loop. Please be aware and think twice before choosing to live inner city.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I lived in apartments near Babcock and Huebner and it was always noisy, you could hear sirens and helicoptors all night long. My truck was broken into once, and my apartment was also.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Is there a reason you chose that area? Close to school/work?

Plenty of decent places to live, but with lots of apartment complexes and students, it's noisy, and some places are not well kept. I lived in the Med Center when I first came to town, no problems, it was just dull. Nice ethnic restaurants, but not walkable and not interesting, and for me, not any closer to work than downtown (where I eventually moved).

Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,008 times
I've lived in the medical center area for 15 years this month and love it - I've chosen to live here, after all! We currently live three miles from the medical center, inside loop 410. We've never had any issues with bad neighbors, or crime, or even graffitti, which is a problem that plagues San Antonio on the whole.

Our home is older (built in 1959) and is fantastic shape - we've had fewer problems than our friends who live in houses that are much, much newer. There are few homes for sale in our area at any given time because people don't move that often. We have several original owners or owners' kids on our street, which is really cool.

The area is also convenient. It's close to work for both of us, and it's also really easy to get places since it's close to 410 and I10 as well as downtown via surface roads.

Don't know about schools as I don't have kids. Best of luck as you move to San Antonio!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
The Med Center is basically an urban center of low income housing. I would NEVER even think of living that close to the 410 Loop. Please be aware and think twice before choosing to live inner city.
WOW!!! Really? Facts? Oak Hills is literally across the street from the medical center and home to some pretty expensive homes (and a fine golf course).

That said, SOME of the apartments aren't what they used to be back in the 90's when I lived there, and yes there are some subsidized complexes... but the area is FAR from an "urban center of low income housing."

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

204 posts, read 336,136 times
Don't move to Medical Center.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
I moved to the Med Center area a couple of months ago. I really like it. Lots of diversity IMO compared to other parts of town, variety of food choices, and you can find some nice(r) housing in the area depending on what you are looking for.

The schools I think are all in NISD, which is one of the "better" school districts in SA.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio