Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 AM

332 posts, read 529,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Ok. I dumped my cental AC for window units. I turn them all off except the bedroom one at night. It is a lot cheaper and I can do everything myself. I have a portable unit that I can move around when trouble arises. This has evolved over the years into a system that works. I just replaced the bedroom AC after 7 years . I got an 8000 Btu unit for 209.00. I could have gotten a 10,000 btu for 279.00 but I thought it might be too heavy for me to lift into the window. I had an idea but I might be forgetting something ( Math! Ugh!). I see 5000 btu units for under 100 bucks. 10000 btu's for under 200.00 and light enough for me to handle! What a concept! I gotta be forgetting something!
i believe OP is in an apt complex and they generally frown upon putting things like window units in your windows UNLESS your ac is getting fixed. i speak from personal experience and make it a point to always have an 8k btu unit in the closet/storage, just in case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Actually, there are units you can set on the floor that duct through a window opening with no permanent changes/modifications to any part of the structure. I know Friedrich makes one, and I'm sure there's others.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Yeah, I'm renting in a townhome complex. It's not that the owner or management is unwilling to fix it; they just keep calling the same, incompetent A/C company they contract with. Someone is coming out next week to look at the leak in the outside unit. I've gone through a couple of summers without A/C because my family was trying to save money, so I'm not dying here. I just don't want to pay $200+ this summer for an A/C that doesn't work well. I pay my rent, so I should have a working A/C.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 AM

332 posts, read 529,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I pay my rent, so I should have a working A/C.
you would think but in texas, they are not required to have a working AC in your unit.

suffereing through a 200$ bill myself this month. cant wait til next month when i go back to central AC.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
you would think but in texas, they are not required to have a working AC in your unit.

suffereing through a 200$ bill myself this month. cant wait til next month when i go back to central AC.
Wait, I'm pretty sure if the temps reachj a certain level, by law they must provide you with ac. Whats with SA and lousy air conditioners/repairmen???

Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Since there was an air conditioner in my place when I moved in, the landlord is required by law to maintain/repair it.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:53 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Yeppirs - all equipment included in the property is required to be maintained. If it didn't have a/c, they aren't required to provide it - but if it's there, they gotta keep it up.

OP - have they inspected the ducts? It may well be that they used that cheap plastic ductwork when they built the place - and by now, it's likely full of holes. It may test out well at the air handler, but if it's leakin'.....

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM

245 posts, read 696,491 times
My house is 6 years old, two-stories, 1721 square feet, had radiant barrier installed when it was constructed. Usually keep it between 78-80 in the day and 78 at night. Usually pay between $100-$130/month. Not too bad considering that when I lived in a small apartment in Austin with a window unit I was paying over $200/month.

Tried cranking my A/C down to 76 the other day. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Had to put it back up to 78. I guess my body's adapted to this hot hot weather and anything under 78 makes me shiver.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yeppirs - all equipment included in the property is required to be maintained. If it didn't have a/c, they aren't required to provide it - but if it's there, they gotta keep it up.

OP - have they inspected the ducts? It may well be that they used that cheap plastic ductwork when they built the place - and by now, it's likely full of holes. It may test out well at the air handler, but if it's leakin'.....
All I know is that he checked the temperature at which the air was blowing out of the vents and he measured the pressure in my coil.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Our home is almost 4 yrs old, we keep it at 70 day and night and the dehumidifer going full time...our sq ft is 1880 and our electric bill (just paid) was $104. Guess I have no complaints looking at other posts here...
owning our own home, I did have the A/C guy put something on the unit 2 yrs ago when he came out to do the regular maintenance/cleaning...don't remember what it was called, but it helped the unit pull less "amps" when it kicked in vs spiking...cost about $325 from what I remember but think it money well spent since it seems to be running like a champ (knocked on wood!)

Have used those little "portable" a/c units that "vent" thru a bedroom window in Japan...they REALLY work. We use to pile all the kids into our bedroom to sleep during very hot, humid nights without A/C...just have to remember they are on the floor around your feet when you go to get up in the am...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio