Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Due to grant funding I'm on the hunt for another fabulous job that makes a difference (aka social services, advocacy, non-profit, something that isn't telemarketing) again.

I applied for a job at the city website. which had a closing date of Thursday. I know the city isn't super human (although they like to think so on many days). The application has been "forwarded to the department." Do any of you who work for the city, have had interviews with the city, have friends/family that work for the city, etc. know how long it will take to get an interview for the position or to see the dreaded "not selected" next to the application?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
It's a bummer to hear about your job hunt. I dunno about the city hiring process but I just wanted to wish you luck finding something out there! Haven for Hope is hiring for an Admin Asst.; the posting has been opened since Sept 21st but maybe they have something else not posted. This has happened to me.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It's a bummer to hear about your job hunt. I dunno about the city hiring process but I just wanted to wish you luck finding something out there! Haven for Hope is hiring for an Admin Asst.; the posting has been opened since Sept 21st but maybe they have something else not posted. This has happened to me.
Thanks for the sympathy! I saw that Haven for Hope one a while back too. They had a case manager position available as well, but I don't have enough official "case management" experience to even apply for it. A lot of things I have done are more behind the scenes.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
With the City of San Antonio, it could take maybe 6-8 weeks after the closing date for them to notify you that you have been selected for interview, and then another 3-4 weeks after the interview for a candidate to be offered the position.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
With the City of San Antonio, it could take maybe 6-8 weeks after the closing date for them to notify you that you have been selected for interview, and then another 3-4 weeks after the interview for a candidate to be offered the position.
great. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I'm a behind the scenes kinda gal myself.
You may want to try the United Way database to find organizations and see if they have openings.
United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County - Home Page

Old 07-06-2012, 01:45 PM

25 posts, read 36,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Sorry to rectify this old thread, but I can't seem to find anyone else talking about the city's hiring timeline. Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if this is still a pretty standard timeframe? I interviewed for my dream job on Monday, and every time the phone rings, my stomach flip flops. I am trying to figure out if I didn't get the job and should move on or if I should keep the butterflies around. Any insight is greatly appreciated - even if it doesn't calm my nerves!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 363,522 times
I've been with the City for 17 years. From my first interview to my follow up was 3 months. Got hired 2 weeks later. That was a while back, so maybe they've gotten better about things. It probably also varies by department.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM

31 posts, read 115,547 times
My daughter is awaiting an offer from the city as well. She interviewed in mid-June and was called back for another interview. A week after the second interview, she was called by the person who interviewed her and he informed her that he was submitting her name for the position. That was during the last week of June...still waiting for the "official" offer.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Due to grant funding I'm on the hunt for another fabulous job that makes a difference (aka social services, advocacy, non-profit, something that isn't telemarketing) again.

I applied for a job at the city website. which had a closing date of Thursday. I know the city isn't super human (although they like to think so on many days). The application has been "forwarded to the department." Do any of you who work for the city, have had interviews with the city, have friends/family that work for the city, etc. know how long it will take to get an interview for the position or to see the dreaded "not selected" next to the application?

Thanks for any help!
It will vary depending upon who is the hiring party. FWIW - I had applied for a city job and it was at least 8 weeks before they called me for an interview (I had forgotten all about it), and then they wanted me to start ASAP....which of course I couldn't do.

When I was hiring for the city, I generally tried to set up interviews within a few days after the closing of the application period, but sometimes it took HR awhile to get the applications to me, and was often another week before I could coordinate schedules of the other interviewers to set up interviewing.

So, it really depends on the department, but also on what is going on with the city at the time.

Last edited by Chaka; 07-06-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: