Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Today, the city council voted successfully to change the name of Durango Blvd downtown to Cesar Chavez (with an estimated cost of $100,000). This was done despite a lot of protest from people in the area, particularly those who lived in the area and would be affected by the name change.

This really saddens me. Why do these people act as if the people they are representing don't even matter? Are they in office just to take care of personal agendas like this one?

I've heard that it's because this council person wants to make his mark of having done something while in office. That's fine, but it's with no regard for the people of San Antonio, or the history of the street name. A statue downtown would have been cheaper, probably more reverent.

But the good thing is, I suppose renaming the street is a more impressive feat that his children and grandchildren will remember him by. More than a simple statue or memorial could have achieved.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 PM

97 posts, read 150,546 times
First off, I doubt it was 100% opposition. There were probably two sides. Well, three.

Those for it.

Those against it

Those who didn't/don't care.

Second, it's a street name change. It's not the end of the world people. Yes, it's a inconvenience to businesses who have to update promotional material with the new street name, but aside from that, it's not that big of an issue.

There are far more important issues in this world to deal with than a street name change.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
They could have named a NEW street after Cesar Chavez. This is a ridiculous wate of taxpayer money.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatSA View Post
First off, I doubt it was 100% opposition. There were probably two sides. Well, three.

Those for it.

Those against it

Those who didn't/don't care.

Second, it's a street name change. It's not the end of the world people. Yes, it's a inconvenience to businesses who have to update promotional material with the new street name, but aside from that, it's not that big of an issue.

There are far more important issues in this world to deal with than a street name change.
From what I read in today's news article (mysa), there was only one side (not two or three). Or, rather, one man. It stated that this council person had been involved in a previous name change from Commerce to Chavez. But he said that the experience had "left a bad taste" in his mouth, or something to that effect. I'm not making this up.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM

97 posts, read 150,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
From what I read in today's news article (mysa), there was only one side (not two or three). Or, rather, one man. It stated that this council person had been involved in a previous name change from Commerce to Chavez. But he said that the experience had "left a bad taste" in his mouth, or something to that effect. I'm not making this up.
I would think a council isn't going to vote yes to something that has 100% opposition.

Last edited by LookingatSA; 05-19-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
They could have named a NEW street after Cesar Chavez. This is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.
Well we can afford $120K bus stops no biggie! I'm ignoring all the renamed highways. Durango will always be Durango to me. I'd like to rename Flores street Abraham Lincoln Boulevard .... I think those that want these name changes should foot the bill!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
I sent an email to my councilman, Reed Williams, voicing my opposition to the name change. It's a waste of money for one thing, and why Durango and not a new street as someone else mentioned?

Anyway, Williams voted against the name change, so I'm at least happy with that. Did anyone else voice their opinions to their councilmen? Did they vote the way you wanted?

I think I read Mayor Castro said that cities change names all the time, so it isn't that big of a deal. Or something along those lines. I also read the SA Conservation Society opposed the name change because of the history of the street - went back to the 1880's.

Durango name change is drawing opposition - San Antonio Express-News

I have no problem naming a street after Chavez, I just think it's ridiculous to spend $100K on it when the money could be better spent elsewhere. Makes me worry about what else this lame duck council will do........

Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Yep naming a new street would have been no problem! We should maybe start numbering streets instead of naming them. Cut down on the temptation.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Asinine waste of funds that are obviously needed in much more important areas. Typical government waste, though, and yet another reason to punish all current "leaders" during the next election cycle. Although SA obviously wasted an excellent opportunity for that last week..

Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Nice to see that the city council has cleaned up more important problems like people tagging and littering everywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing the new and improved city on my trip back next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio