Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 56,392 times

Advertisements

Just determined today that we will be needing to have our shower pan replaced. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for contractors or plumbers that would do a good job. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Angie's List

Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Shower pan replacements can get tricky for even the best of plumbers. I would not go with a cheap guy from any list/website or any guy that isn't a major player in town. You need someone with a great warranty and who is going to be there if it doesn't go right the first time. Obviously the issue is with the seal at the bottom of the pan and getting it right. If this was my house, I'd be calling the Beyer Boys. Yeah, they ain't a cheap date but they stand behind their work and they've been around quite a while. A shower pan is not an area to attempt to find a cheap guy to do it. This ain't no simple faucet he's replacing and damages from a leaking shower pan can be extensive.

So my curiosity has peaked about how you determined a shower pan was needed?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM

19 posts, read 56,392 times
Trapper L thanks for the advise I will check them out. As far as testing the shower pan, I duct taped the drain and poured water into the shower. The water level immediately dropped and the wall on the outside of the house (adjacent to the shower was leaking quite a bit of water. So pretty sure it is the shower pan. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Angie's List
I second Angie's list. I have found great people on there for other jobs around the house.

You have to pay for access to it but it is well worth it. Trust me.

I had my shower floor redone but unfortunately it is terrazzo so I was only limited to one company that specializes in terrazzo. It was not cheap.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Yeah, drain pan seal is done. They don't go bad for no reason. I would suspect the original job, which may be decades ago, isn't quite right, otherwise, they hold together pretty good if done right. You also may have insurance coverage on this. When they tear the pan out, expect there to be structural wall damage. It's not a major event but can be time consuming. If you do need a guy to do repairs to walls or framing, give Jesse Torrez a call 548-7584. I've had him in million dollar homes around town so he's not only good, he's trustworthy. He's among the very few I'd have in my house. Again, you need a good, long standing company to do the drain pan. It's like the commercial used to say- You can pay now or pay me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio