Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM

781 posts, read 3,817,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
FRIGHTENING??? In California, at Exit 111: Verbinia Street (Just West of Palm Springs) there are DINOSAURS!!! Actually, there are some really neat life-size dinosaur sculptures that were done back in the 1940's (I believe...) When I first saw them, they were standing on a sandy lot and look a lot more realistic than they do now with the Denny's Burger King and Texaco gas station in front... Have a GREAT trip!!!

I remember those from the 60's (of course I was just a babe then) and I agree.....a lot more ominous w/o the businesses around them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
FYI, I almost always got off on 8 because I was going or coming from San Diego. There are definitely mountains over there as you approach the beauty that is Sand Dawg.. nothing like that feeling you get when you cross over the last mountain in the heat of summer and the temp drops about 40 or 50 degrees.. it's even better in a convertible

BTW, I don't remember 10 over by lala land because I'm usually paying too much attention to the 50 million other morons on the road. I'm sure there are mountains around there somewhere

Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,121 times
Thank you. I saw the mountains on the map in west Texas and we are both afraid of driving along mountainous roads with no guardrails. This doesn't sound too bad.
Thanks, again.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 PM

32 posts, read 146,905 times
Oh ya, you are right the grades (mountain springs) are on the I-8 just past where you would get off to go to El Centro and the sand dunes where they filmed some of the Star Wars stuff, really cool place by the way. Nice way to go though. I don't think that I have driven I-10 then. I-15 would be the other grades, baker grade, nice long 4% grade in the desert, and don't forget the giant thermometer .

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
I'm sweating, dripping hot after reading all this thread, and verrrrrry thirsty....

Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
A friend of mine just came back from a trip to somewhere and they came back through El Paso on I-10. They said that the speed limit on I-10 just out of El Paso is now 80 MPH. Has anyone else driven that road recently?
Yes, parts of i10 and i20 are 80mph daytime in west texas. The i10 portion starts in kerr county and ends before el paso if im not mistaken.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunketta View Post
Thank you. I saw the mountains on the map in west Texas and we are both afraid of driving along mountainous roads with no guardrails. This doesn't sound too bad.
Thanks, again.
NEVER go to Bosnia then

I guarantee you'll be beyond terrified and they also have a lot of log trucks, just for extra terror..

I personally found it pretty exciting driving, but there were plenty of places to get in deep doodoo if you screwed up

Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunketta View Post
We are planning a trip that will take us on Rt. 10 across the south during a winter month. Can anyone tell me if there are any parts of rt. 10 that will be frightening because of mountainous roadway?
Frightening? No. Lonely? Perhaps.

Just make sure you have plenty of gas whenever you do travel through West Texas on I-10. There are no Abilenes or Midlands along that route. But the scenery with the rock cuts are fabulous. I think you'll enjoy the serenity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio